Important Notice

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Important Notice

DodgeRida67 has been good enough to PM me with a reminder that today is my anniversary joining date.

I would like to thank ChrisV, DSmer and others for their warmth and compassion as I negotiated the minefield of googlemechanics, misinformation, petulance and over inflated ego's that are the hallmarks of all enjoyable auto forums.

I have learned a few things while here:

Coronets appear to be either a POS or extremely common;
Most of the repair help can be sorted simply by "pulling codes" from an ECU and a forum sticky to that effect would reduce posts by 90% ;
There is only one japanese import into the US = Honda's;
All cash poor 17 yearolds have big block V8's and are capable of major car mods right out of the stalls with just a pair of pliers and a hammer;
The same 17 yearolds have a mustang and somehow manage to pay university fees, board, accomodation, and 25 mp$USg fuel;
By the age of 19 most members have hand built several cars and engines, learned all there is to know about auto mechanics for any car that ever existed and had great success on the track or dragstrip;
Sometimes these same experts have brain fades and need to ask how things like sparkplugs work;
One in three replacement alternators in the US are faulty;
Diamond Star Motors is a front for Mitsubishi;
It is important that US cars are the world's fastest, albeit ugliest production vehicles for the sake national pride;
The Dodge viper is an ozone depleting, large displacement dinosaur that is designed to haul a petrol tanker in case of a cross country sojourn, but is considered legend.

:wink2:

posted by  Wally

congrats on your first year with car-forums...eventually i'll get there...

and well said for most of those points :laughing:

only one problem:

I don't fall into any of them...

I am an 18 year old, out of high school, working full time because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, I drive a '92 sundance with head gasket issues, and live on a farm, so am a backyard mechanic(who can do general maintanence/engine replacement(when necessary, with the help of a haynes manual)), who does not claim to have success on the streets or on a track, or hand-built a car, or claim to know everything about cars. I learn from experience, and what experience I do have, I input.

What does this make me....normal?

posted by  dodgerforlife

how often is engine replacement necessary? :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  windsonian

Quite the humorous post. Im a 18 yr old uni student. I drive a 4 cylinder turbo that I rebuilt the motor on by myself :smoke: after after having help from dad with my first 3 cars engines :oops: and I dont understand how half the stuff under there works yet.

posted by  flamingheads

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  fc7gtx

Your next to last "facts learned" hits the nail on the head.

posted by  hondaman

It's almost like you're talking about me with the teenager stuff, big block v-8s, coronets, and hand-built cars, and the sparkplug thing. Then again it all seems like sarcasm. :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

well, I help out with all the vehicles...to date, we've done three engine replacements, two tranny rebuilds, a couple head gaskets(for the major repairs)...along with other simpler stuff(alternators, water pumps, exhaust, fuel pumps)

its great to be a farmer, and also have a parts account at a dealership that allows for at cost parts...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Do you know I was wondering the same stuff, mainly about how teens from the US can afford the Mustang, Uni fees etc myself....although I spose fuel prices are cheaper there....here in the UK it would cost me about £100 worth of fuel a week to run a Stang...I spose in the States though, that would be halved :banghead:

Congrats on ya first years on the Forums mate....aint this where we get the tape reels out and look back at the good times, and the bad?....Or is that when some one dies? lol :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Congrats! You are one year old! :screwy: :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Lets see.....I'm actually planning on getting a stang or a camaro soon, and I'll be able to afford it because I'll have worked my ass off for it. But, in my area, there are a lot of rich, liberal parents. (My parents are the first half, but not the second). I know a freshman this year who gets a $1,000/month CLOTHING allowance. Hell, she's getting a SL500 for her first car. Another person I know just got a X5 for his 2nd car, after he got rid of his first (ford expedition), and another friend of mine is getting a S4 after totaling his GTI. That's why we all have stangs around here, but I don't know about other places. Oh yeah, and the parents give the kids credit cards to use for gas, which the aprents pay the bill for.

1997 Mustang GT - 70,000 miles = 12,000 in today's paper.

posted by  Godlaus

:screwy: different times... :doh:

posted by  windsonian

No doudt. High School days for us were finding enough money to drop 5$ in the tank, buy a pack of Marboro's (35 cents back then) and a six pack of Bud . :thumbs:

Maybe that's why mom & dad never gave me any money. :doh:

posted by  fc7gtx

F*cking crazy price. I looked in my paper (well, online version just for cars @ ajccars.com) and search for mustangs between the years of 1996 and 1998 for under 10 grand and less than 75K miles and came up with...

http://cars.ajccars.com/Autos?property=ajc&tp=ajc&temp_type=detail&tl=3&cla ssification=Autos&feature_includes_make=Ford&feature_includes_model=Mustang %2CMUST%2CMUSTG%2CMustang+289%2CMustang+Convertible%2CMustang+GT&cust_id=un defined&ad_type=&make=&model=&vehicle=Mustang%2CMUST%2CMUSTG%2CMustang+289% 2CMustang+Convertible%2CMustang+GT&zip=30233&distance=200&feature_start_yea r=1996&feature_end_year=1998&adpricemin=&adpricemax=10000&feature_min_milea ge=&feature_max_mileage=75000

1998 Mustang, 52946 miles, $6,988
1998 Mustang, 63545 miles, $6,995
1998 Mustang, 67000 miles, $9,500
1996 Mustang, 58738 miles, $8,860

Don't pay to much. Like you said, you worked your ass off for that money.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Looks like I overpriced a little.........
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?sort_type=priceASC&search_t ype=used&make=FORD&model=MUST&sponsorModel=&transmission=Manual&distance=50 &address=98006&advanced=&certified=&max_price=&min_price=&end_year=2006&col or=&start_year=1981&color3=&color2=&isp=y&engine=8+Cylinder&lang=en

posted by  Godlaus

Your Message