How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Home  \  Off Topic  \  How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Found this, thought it would be useful to some of you...me included.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

posted by  BavarianWheels

Excellent information with a capitol E. :thumbs: Unfortunately it will only be useful to those who read and comprehend it. :rolleyes: I especially like this;

"Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly. Don't confuse "its" with "it's", "loose" with "lose", or "discrete" with "discreet". Don't TYPE IN ALL CAPS, this is read as shouting and considered rude. (All-smalls is only slightly less annoying, as it's difficult to read. Alan Cox can get away with it, but you can't.)

More generally, if you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored. Writing like a l33t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute kiss of death and guarantees you will receive nothing but stony silence (or, at best, a heaping helping of scorn and sarcasm) in return."

posted by  vwhobo

lets see if i can make this an announcement...

posted by  SuperJew

:D

posted by  BavarianWheels

I just saw this thread and though perhaps it was time to revisit it. Unfortunately, the people who need to read it most are the ones least likely to do so.

posted by  vwhobo

Ya nice find :clap: I skimmed throught it cause it's kind of long, but it does have some good hints.

posted by  V-Tec

I hope this was not directed at me. that would really hurt my feelings. I may be a dumb hillbilly, but, I'm not completentlelutleiey ssstupid. I think.Or, am, I,?........... Sure looks like it.

posted by  lectroid

Nice find. It was a good read! Definitely usefull. :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

...well, maybe i'm like e e cummings, but with more punctuation... hmmm? :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

I hate it when people mix up their "thens" and "thans".

IE:
I'm smarter then you!

posted by  Mathew

i hate it when they mix up there, they're and their...

posted by  dodger65

Woah, for a second there, I thougt I had mixed up mine and got all worried.

posted by  Mathew

Your Message