What is considered "Advertising"

Home  \  Off Topic  \  What is considered "Advertising"

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, I was just wondering what types of things were considered advertising or not. People advertise their stuff for sale, so what is not acceptable? Is it like posting a banner that says where to go to get certain parts and stuff?

posted by  Nickboxer7

IMO yes, but, Kevin lets here your input

posted by  99integra

If it links you to purchasing items, it's advertising.

posted by  SyntheticTrust

Or another forum, etc. If you dont know if it is advertising or not, just dont post it.

posted by  StiMan

B/c I work at a sign shop and can make the window stripes and such and I was going to post that you can order custom lettering ones through me, but I'm not sure if that would be advertising. I don't want to get banned or in trouble with the forums.

posted by  Nickboxer7

Just ask us (mods) for permission, give us the link (Via PM) we'll check it out and if we find it acceptable, we'll let you post it. :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

I don't actually have a link to the sales, but I can get a link to the business and then they can call or email.

posted by  Nickboxer7

Anything other than Car-Forums.com.

There is a specific section to advertise personal sales of cars and things related to cars. It's not intended for commercial advertising for a used car lot, a parts store advertising specials... Some things are slipping through.

It's best to ask first...or try your luck.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Damn Bav thats a lot of selections, don't do it or bite the dust :laughing:

posted by  99integra

It's " hear " by the way.

posted by  theman352001

Sorry, Bav, but I'm gonna have to take that one up with UFF, as that definition is BS.

Signing up here to promote another website, or a product, is definitely advertising. But an existing member providing a link to a site or forum that will help a specifically asked question (such as telling a person to ask a BMW specific question on a particular BMW forum, or giving a link to Summit Racing in response to a question about the best place to get a Holley carb new) cannot be construed as advertisement. Advertisement is, by definition, soliciting. Responding to a question with a site of company you're not affiliated with, as a way of helping the person asking the question, is NOT soliciting.

posted by  ChrisV

<---agrees with Chris. i remember that in my thread about advertising (Advertising = Bad), i referred to people giving links to outside sources in response to a question as legit, and not advertising.

posted by  SuperJew

Um.. Sorry this is off topic, but SJ: are you no longer a mod on CF? Your name is no longer green.

posted by  StiMan

okay, Lets HEAR you input Kev :wink2:

posted by  99integra

There aren't that many non product sites out there and those that are, usually have some form of third party advertising.

posted by  Wally

If new members simply read the rules,,,they should be able to sus out what is considered an advert!

posted by  Cliffy

Anda agin cliffy, Bav deleted a link Zalight gave to a member in response to a question. Zalight was not advertising, he was helping out. Bav seems to feel that ANY link or site referenced that is not Car Forums in ANY post, legitimate response or not, is advertising. So therefore you have a difference with Bav over that, and it needs to be cleared up by Adam (and he probably won't read his e-mail).

But what do I know, it's only an opinion.

posted by  ChrisV

Sorry Chris, but I'm with Bav on this (to an extent).....As I wrote in the rules, you should copy/paste any info found on another website rather than link us to it....However, I guess if that's not possible it may not be deemed as advertising to all, if you link us to a site

posted by  Cliffy

ChrisV, I'm sorry for deleting a link that you thought was legit. I make mistakes and it may've been one of the few mistakes I make here. (lol)

But my opinion still stands as I've not received any different from admin. When admin lets me know...you all will know as I'll let you know.

One need only look on the forums. There are dozens of links all over the place that have been left. Because I delete one that you find me wrong on, I'm now on your sheet list?

I didn't know this thread would become this big of a deal, but that's allright with me.

posted by  Nickboxer7

yup. i'm no longer a mod...i'm now with the common member, and damn it feels good. :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

Really? Well, welcome back man. :thumbs:

You certainly did a good job. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

thanks...one of the few who thought so :banghead: :cussing:

posted by  SuperJew

Hell I thought you did a good job, you kept with all those damn advertisements that one day :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Did you ask Adam to take you off, or what?

posted by  StiMan

No, he commited 'Mod Suicide' lol...jk

posted by  Cliffy

That's not how it's done on ANY major site, including ones that have pretty strict non-advertising rules. Advertising, by definiton, is about soliciting, not about helping in response. maybe you ought to look up the definition of solicitation.

the fact that we have so many questions about it shows that there's a disconnect somewhere. the fact that people like me have an issue with your definition, and not just people who have had their spam links removed, shows that there's a disconnect, and that disconnect, I'm sad to say, is with the admin and moderators of this site.

I've contacted Adam, but as usual, get no response.

posted by  ChrisV

Yes, it may have ben one of the few. (serious. I don't really see you make much in the way of mistakes. Overall, you're a god moderator and a knowledgeable car enthusaist).

And we know how often the admin actually steps up and gives clear information to all of us.. :banghead:

No, you're not on my list. I just happen to completely disagree not only with your action on this issue, but specifically with your statement in support of that action, i.e. that ANY WWW link other than CarForums.com is advertising. That's logically BS, and I'm calling you out on it, as I believe you're intelligent enough to see the difference, including being able to see how it's done on other major automotive sites that don't allow advertising (of which I'm a member of, and in at least one case, that I'm a moderator for).

posted by  ChrisV

Logically...that is BS! Thanks for pointing that out. I can be called out of something like that...of course. I'm not aware (or don't remember saying) that any www link other than CF is advertising. I believe the announcement just says advertising. If I did say such a thing...show me where, I'll recant, and change it. Maybe I was just in a "bad mood" for deleting so many adverts. It seems the adverts have subsided a bit due to immediate banning of anyone that does the one post adverts.

Certainly there are times in which a link is appropriate for the conversation...but I'm leery about allowing links to other "competition."

If I allow them all the time, then the advertisers need only start a conversation leading it to their ultimate goal of plugging their website...That's just my thinking. If a person comes on like one individual now asking about a Rolls Royce forum...while that would be "competition" the number of peopel actually IN a RR forum would be quite small. It would hardly seem worth deleting to me. However if someone came on and just posted a link to a RR forum...then it would come off immediately on my part.

Um, your first post in this thread, oh Ye of little memory...

Sory, but someplace like Roadfly is not competition for us. Marque specific forums that can answer marque specific questions are not competition.

It should be easy to spot the differnce. Zalight linking to a BMW forum in response to a specific question should be easy to tell from someone with their forum nam in their user name....

And you left tirerack.com in his post, which IS a commercial site.. But again, it can answer questions we cannot.

Which was my point. Signing up with the obvious intent to direct traffic to a sight is spam. A long standing member like Wally linking to a RR site is not.

posted by  ChrisV

I was being sarcastic. I recant my sarcasm on that post.

And sometimes is right. I have no problem with that.

I did?

I don't remember removing a RR forum link. My memory is horrible.

That maybe the case, Chris, but it only takes a few minutes to copy/paste an artical. And by refusing to do so under the grounds that you dont agree with the rules that are enforced (which, by the way, the Admin viewed once posted and gave the all clear), comes across at a little inorant. Sory to put it so bluntly, but that's my oppinion :thumbs:

I seem to recall saying on more than one occation, that I personally dont have a problem with loyal members advertising their own site.....However, that's my oppinion and should not be taken as "Cliffy said we can...." as said member would need to ask us, or the Admin (preferably the Admin) first.

posted by  Cliffy

I've posted long articles. No one wants to read them in this form. And again, how long does it take to copy/paste a thread on another forum with numerous answers to a question, or has teh answer given out in chunks by numerous people? it's easier to just link to the discussion that answers the question.

remember teh stink about Hobo copy/pasting things from other sites? Well, by giving a link to that information, your'e not accused of plagerizing.

AND, often the answer or the info in an article takes more than this software allows for character count.

Let's use a little common sense about motives, ok? Someone trying to draw people away from this site could be considered advertising. Posting a link to an informative thread on another forum, or even another forum itself (like the RR forum links we needed to give out) in answer to a reasonable question is NOT.

Lol! Now THAT'S a funny comment! Why? Because the Admin doesn't answer questions! I PM'd him about this a couple weeks ago. Do I have an answer from him? No. Hell, he hasn't even contacted YOU in response.

If someone asks a question and I have a link to the answer, I'm going to post it. I'm not going to wait around for you or Bav to figure out motive. You should KNOW it by now. And I've got more important things to do that wait for an answer from one of you guys before every post I make.

posted by  ChrisV

Never said you did. I was using it as an example of a member NOT spamming or advertising, even though he linked to another forum. Just like Zalight.

Again, the point is it should be pretty easy for intelligent guys like you to discern motives. Those guys from the british custom car forum that came here en-masse, and even had their forum url in their user names, were easy to figure out. As are people that come in here and on their first post are all like "check out this site I found!" Easy to tell. Use the definition of the word advertising and solicitation to determine motives. Use motives to determine deletion or banning. Common sense.

posted by  ChrisV

I was using that as more of an example in this case lol...in other words, where myself or another Mod cant make a dicition, for whatever reason, the admin can...When he's here :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

Had to bring this back after seeing the link removed in a thread on the AstroGlade. the link in the thread was to a thread in a forum where his pictures were on display. I'm tired of the abject paranoia on this forum about posting links like that, and want to reiterate teh meaning of teh word advertising as soliciting for a product or service for pay. Those that OWN forums, and link to them in the hopes of getting new members, are soliciting. Those that have posted in forums and link to their posts so they don't have to type it all again, or that have pictures already uploaded and on display are NOT soliciting, especially if they are not owners of said forum.

As well as the rest of the things I discussed in this thread.

Hell, we have a fairly valuable member here that has his business in his screen name, and links to it occasionally without a problem (like here: http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7304 ), and yet a member who shows us pictures of his personal custom van gets the link to his pictures removed because they are in another forum?

That's BULLSHIT!

posted by  ChrisV

You're exactly correct. So instead of whining about it like a little bitch, take the appropriate action... REPORT IT! You have a choice. You can be part of the solution or part of the problem, which is it going to be?

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message