Subwoofer Q

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Subwoofer Q

Is it safe to have 2 different subs running at the same time. For example would it be ok for me to be running a volfenhag of of 1 amp, and then 2 more 05 type r's off of another amp? would they conflict or anything?

posted by  Stem

if its separate amps, then there will be no problem.

posted by  dodgerforlife

jesus i only posted this like 2 min ago, ok another question

sometimes when i play my volf REALLY loud my lights and shit start flickering and its mad sick. but i think it oculd be dangerous, my friend recommended a capacitor, he said it takes all that out, so what exactly does a capacitor do, and how would i benefit 2 diff subs?

posted by  Stem

what your experiencing is your sub/amp drawing most of the power your alternator is providing. which is pretty odd for a one sub set up, but it does happen...not really dangerous, but just very draining on your battery.

what a capacitor is, is essentially a mini battery. it gets charged, and then the amp draws power through it. but from the sounds of it, a cap may not really help you much. all its really meant to do is provide power when your really hitting a note hard, or "burping" in a song, which is when the amp peaks and draws a lot more power.

IMO, get your alternator checked out to see if its working to correct output levels. After that, check your battery. My 91 sundance's alternator does 55amps, on a relatively new motomaster(canadian tire) battery, and i don't have any of your problems :mrgreen:

posted by  dodgerforlife

ok but if im at a party or something and i keep my car on for like a few hours with my sub running max, then i will drain my battery enough to the point my car wont start and ill need some starter cables, my friend was describing this to me and said to prevent this ill need a capacitor.

as i was saying do you think i will need a capacitor with 3 12" subs, because i will most likely be buying 2 in the next month or so.

posted by  Stem

if your car is running, then it wont be a problem, just be sure to run your car for a few minutes with the stereo off before you turn the car off.

a capacitor wouldn't stop the battery from completely draining either, like i said, it really only conditions the power for music "burps".

i dont think youll need caps, but rather check out your alternator and battery.

posted by  dodgerforlife

alrighty i understand what ur saying, i should let the car chill with the music off before i start the engine up. okie dokie thanks for the speedy answer bro, helps out alot.

posted by  Stem

wait, you intend to run the stereo for a few hours with the engine shut off? that would drain your battery even with a cap, and probably within 30 minutes!

posted by  dodgerforlife

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a spare battery in your trunk...Or running 2 alternators?

posted by  chris_knows

spare battery would do more good then 2 alternators if he plans to run his stereo with his car off....

posted by  dodgerforlife

well after i get my new deck ill go get a new battery, a good one too, i heard the yellow kine Optima's i think their called are really good, but ill look into it before i get my 2 type r's

posted by  Stem

either a yellow top or red top optima are good.

i really suggest looking at an upgraded alternator too - or at least having yours checked out to see what kind of amperage it's producing.

posted by  dodgerforlife

I'm tempted to make another name just to see if and how long i could go on lying before i got caught :laughing: but i wont, probably get in trouble for having multiple accounts.

posted by  car_crazy89

Your Message