karts

Home  \  Off Topic  \  karts

i went karting again 2day and i decided taht i think i want to buy a kart. the thing is there so dam expensive, the one i want (rotax rm1) is like 10 grand :( but i was also thinking, if i should get a racing kart or and offroad kart, if you dont know what i mean by off road kart ckeck this link http://cgi.ebay.ca/BRAND-NEW-150cc-BAJA-GO-KART-DUNE-BUGGY-ATV-GO-CART_W0QQ itemZ4570588441QQcategoryZ46105QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
thats the offroad i would buy, is there neway to modify the engine of the offroad one to make it go real fast? i dunno what to get.

posted by  illusion34

Put a 1.3 liter Geo motor on it, guaranteed to go over 90 :hi:

posted by  99integra

i dont think you should get a racing go cart, unless you are into racing and theres a track close to ya cause you cant go offroad, they are only about 1 inch or so off the ground, super fast though, if ya do consider one, just ask around at a local track, usually some ones getting out of racing and wants to sell all their stuff,pretty expensive. but if your just looking for a recreational kart, you can get them pretty cheap. if i remeber right, most of thems powered by a briggs and stratton 5.5 hp

posted by  adamc44

the one i want has 10.5 horses, but i want it to reach like 100 kmph, how can i modify it? i posted the link to what im buying before take a look at it

posted by  illusion34

thats a nice kart, i think im going to outbid ya on it. :laughing:

posted by  adamc44

i didnt bid on it, is it ne good?

posted by  illusion34

It is great, those go for more than 3 grand

posted by  99integra

Thats a cool little kart. No point going for a rotax track kart unless your fully into racing. The rotax needs a rebuild aftr each meeting to stay competitive which costs, as well as new tyres after each meeting, ect.

You also probably don't wanna go too fast on an offroad kart as they have the high center of gravity. If you do want more power though I'm preety sure you can find either another auto g/boxed bike motor to throw in, or a manual 2 stroke and get a bit of engineering done to link the selector up to the front.

If you want 100kph You'd do welll to find an old honda c90 engine.
They have the centrifugal clutch system and just 3 gears to reach almost 100kph (55mph) with standard gearing. Best of all they are cheap and very reliable. Just a pain to work on the clutch.

Good luck! :thumbs:

posted by  relicensed

but the thing is, im not sure if i want a offroad kart or racing kart :(

posted by  illusion34

but ehat i am sure is that its gotta be fast and it has to be manual

posted by  illusion34

Buy a bigger kart, like the off road one, then, put in a 2.3L Ford Pinto or Mustang motor in it. :thumbs: Gauranteed to be even FASTER than the 1.3L Geo motor that 99integra mentioned :mrgreen:

posted by  SlipKnoT

i was thinking an offroad kart, 2 seater, with a stock 250cc engine on it, the thing is i want it manual, how can i get manual?

posted by  illusion34

ummm, not too sure how well a little kart like that would handle a car engine? If your after a fast kart with an engine swap then you always gotta go with a bike engine.

I've always wanted to make a kart with a big bike engine, something like a old gsxr1100 motor. There cheap to get and fix, they put out way more power than is reasonably needed for any application and would just be a great laugh to muck about on. Also can you imagine turning up at the drags on something that weighs less then the rest of the guys trailers and blizting the lot of em :laughing: one day I'll stop procrastinating and actually do it! :oops:

posted by  relicensed

i cant even find an engine like that for sale

posted by  illusion34

Your Message