Latop Problem

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Latop Problem

For the last year or so I've been saving up for a notebook, and I keep spending my money before I have enough for what I want, so what I'm thinking of doing is buying a $500-600 laptop, and as I get money I would get a better hard drive, processor, and stuff. The question is- is it possible to take out the old parts of the laptop, and put in the new ones, because with a computer you have lots of space, but laptops are a lot skinnier...

posted by  chris_knows

It is but I would STRONGLY reccomend you take it to someone to do the swap

posted by  99integra

i am a computer modder, ve built computers and all, its not a good idea becasue mobile processors and harddrives ost alot, besides u wouldnt want to start taking apart you laptop becasue you will void the warranty, save up more or look for a better deal if you want moreperformance

posted by  illusion34

these days good laptops don't cost more than a grand, depending on what you need it for...

posted by  importluva

I need a laptop for music, movies and games, like GTA San Andreas which is a big game, and I heard that on some PCs it'll skip, and lag. The laptop that I want should have a 3Ghz processor, 1 GB ram, 100 GB hard drive, and has to read DVDs...All of the latops that suit those needs are $3,000+ :doh: :banghead: :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

Take a look at dell. I dont know about prices but you can customize anything you want. Its not very hard to replace most parts on a laptop but it might be cheaper to just get what you want first. Take a look at something with a amd processer most of them are cheaper than intel and perform as good or better

posted by  bigdaveangell

Just by what you said its clear you don't know jack sh!t about computers.

1. For your purposes you dont need a laptop.
2. The processor speed is one of the most overrated specs on PCs, you can thank intel for that.
3. If you want to play games, you should be looking at video memory more than RAM.

posted by  importluva

I didn't mean 3 ghz, I meant at least. But if I don't need all of that, what do I need?

posted by  chris_knows

In my experience, Dell are the worst for customising. They have all their own proprietary hardware that isn't interchangable with generic brands.

The issue with laptops is that because they are so small, the designs tend to change a lot to fit everything in to the case. Therefore, you will often have to replace much of the internals to upgrade. For example 2 different models may have 2 totally different RAM mounting arrangements, so you can't just go out and buy any old stick of RAM to put in, you need to get the one made for that model PC.

posted by  windsonian

so if i had scads of video memory and a a couple 512 sticks of ram....what good is a 750mhz processor gunna do for me? processor speed is crucial, there will always be a weak link, and it's usually the video card...even when you buy the newest of the new and the hottest of the hot cards, BAM next day a better one comes out, computers are a get what you pay for world just like cars..... you want a 500$ laptop dont expect it to do things my 3000$ desktop will do, and if you want mobility with all those bells and whistles your looking past the 1000$ range

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

I would go with a PC. MSI mobo, amd athalon or 64 cpu, nvidia 6600gt vid card, 1 gig ram

posted by  bigdaveangell

There is no doubt, you pay far less for the same performance with a desktop vs. a notebook. This is for various reasons, but mainly because desktops are easier to make. Also easier to modify.

posted by  windsonian

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BUDDDDDY!

A) You can't take an old laptop and upgrade it worth shit! Most laptops are built for a specific series of mobos, and you can't put a different one in(easily at all...)

B) You can open a laptop without voiding the warranty - hell, you can upgrade components of it without voiding the warranty. But be damned if you crack open an HDD - that will void the warranty.

C) You do NOT need that kind of performance for what you said you needed. You might only need a 2.2GHz CPU, a gig of ram, and a multi-drive. Get dual-channel ram if possible.

D) A CPU is NOT the most cruical specification of a computer, but very important. You need to have a fast enough processor to handle the bandwidth of the video card and memory.

E) RAM is just as important as Video RAM/GPU when it comes to games. I've seen games that swallow as much as 200MB of PC3200 DDRRAM, which is the equivalent of damn near 512MB of PC2100...

Personally, I don't like Nvidia GPU's - I prefer ATI, but that would still be a killer setup :)

posted by  dodgerforlife

Unless youre in school and take your laptop to class or from your home to a dorm or use it for work whats the point in a laptop. Why pay the extra money if you arent going to be traveling with it.

posted by  bigdaveangell

I'm planning on taking it on trips, and it takes up less space, in my already really crowded room.

posted by  chris_knows

shit get a cube comp and a 15" LCD - easy enough to transport, but more flexibility and a lot less cost....

posted by  dodgerforlife

I was looking through eBay, and there's a lot of those things that just tell you how to get a laptop, for $6 or so...I was wondering if those are reliable, because my parents think that I spend my money on garbage, and I need their credit card number to bid...

posted by  chris_knows

i wouldnt trust them personally - how about you find out for us :hi:

posted by  dodgerforlife

I dont know anything about that but I would say its a scam

posted by  bigdaveangell

you can get an apple ibook like me, mine has 1 gig ram, 60 gig hard drive, 1.44 ghz, G4 proccesor. comes with EVERY NESSEITY YOU COULD EVER WANT! lol has a SUPER good ati 128 mb graphics card too. burns cds and dvds and is 14 inches super thin... and you can order them with extra memory and stuff like that. plus it comes with built in bluetooth and wireless internet. got mine for about 1500 dollers on apple dot com
www.apple.com
unless mac is not your thing, then i feel sorry for you windows lovers... :sleep:

posted by  collareddrifter

I feel sorry for mac lovers - queer ass Ibooks.

get a Toshiba Satellite - AMAZING.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Only the big ones, I got stuck with a Satellite A65-S126. I wanted the P25 series at the time. Well for everything but gaming my laptop kick ass, but when it comes to gaming, it blows. I can't play anything thats 2 years old or newer.

Dude, you want to game on your laptop, get a desktop replacement laptop, but be ready to spend more than 1K for a decent one.

If you refuse to accept the fact that a desktop wil out perform a laptop of the same price, then save up for an ALIENWARE. I'm sure they have exactly what your looking for.

posted by  elchango36

Alienware is way overpriced for what you get. You could put together something yourself with the same or better parts for cheaper.

I feel sorry for all you with macs. Its too bad you cant upgrade

posted by  bigdaveangell

Yess!! I found a laptop, i got it for $1600 but now its at $1800...here it is:

My laptop (http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=612602&AffixedCode=WW)

They didn't have it though, so I have to pick it up tomorrow :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message