google earth

Home  \  Off Topic  \  google earth

Has neone seen google earth, its pretty nuts. It uses satellite pictures to creat a 3 dimentional map of the world. You can zoom in to nething on the planet, even ur house. Check it out it'll blow ur mind. :thumbs:
-->>>is this advertising cuz if it is im sorry.

http://kh.google.com/download/earth/index.html

posted by  A-cord

I think, if your not selling anything, your good :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

Ive seen that months ago but its a cool program. The satelite pictures are a few years old but other than that its great

posted by  bigdaveangell

That is great. Thanks for sharing it.

posted by  theman352001

Google has so much going for itself. They have gmail,desktop,search toolbars, and so much more but all of their programs are pretty good if you know how to use them and they help a lot sometimes.

posted by  Spanky2324

It gets all crappy and distorted when i get to about 1700-2000 feet or whatever.

posted by  car_crazy89

I'm going to be playing around with this all day. Just finding people's houses...

I think that says how high the place is above sea level...

posted by  chris_knows

Haha, maybe. I can find the block where my house is but i cant see any houses (unlike when i look at Toronto and you can see some cars) lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

OMG....That is amazing.....

posted by  99integra

I can see my house clearly but only from about 2000 feet

posted by  bigdaveangell

Damn, i guess its either my computer that sucks or its Peterborough :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

anything below about 2000 feet gets distorted. Im sure they made it that way.

posted by  bigdaveangell

No, the bigger cities you can go down to about 1,000 feet, the area where I am gets blurry at about 7,000 feet... :ohcrap: can't see my house.

posted by  chris_knows

yeah, some more populated/dense areas have higher resolution than the other. pretty much the whole state of Vermont is in low-res. :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

really cool stuff.. i can't wait till everything is really high res. :)

posted by  odds

haha i knew all u guys would have fun with that :mrgreen:

posted by  A-cord

Yeah I've seen it before. Some of the places you just have to wait a while until it renders properly from low altitudes, but I've also found some places that don't seem to want to render out properly.

posted by  windsonian

Im just guessing but I dont think thats going to happen. If they had hi res satelite pictures of everything that would be a damn good tool for a terrorist

posted by  bigdaveangell

I just downloaded it a few hours ago after I viewed this thread. Its some pretty awesome shit. My highschool looks so awesome from that high. I hardly even recognize my neighborhood.

posted by  SlipKnoT

They already have most of our populated areas in relatively high res (about 2 feet). It is the rest of the areas that I would like to see. I doubt they will be able to get high-res images of foreign military installations though. I bet some other governments may have an issue with that.

Take a look at Pearl Harbor. You can see some battleships docked there. If you check out our Virginian naval base you will see some aircraft carriers as well.

posted by  theman352001

interestingly enough, they blur out the US Capitol, and the US Naval Obvservatory, but they leave the White House in high-res. what gives?

posted by  SuperJew

The capitol is clear for me. Which buildings are you talking about? I didn't check out the Naval Observatory though.

posted by  theman352001

Google earth used to be KEYHOLE community, check out area 51 looks like they aint trying to hide anything there. i spent a few good months hooked on it, australia and new zealand are absolutely wild and the middle east areas, look at the sulphur pools in the australian south east the check out newzealands coast, you can go from sea level to about 10,000 feet in a matter of a couple miles, absolutely mind blowing i could surf and snowboard in the same day, check out the forums on google earth lotsa great people and fun stuff to see, makes the world a very very very small place once you start searching every mile of this planet

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

being an aussie, I don't know much about it, so where's area 51? gps co-ords would be good.

posted by  windsonian

is it possible to get it to really focus? or is the picture quality only so good to a certain extent?

posted by  adamc44

DAMN!!! This sounds so interesting, but my work computer wont let me download! And I only have Dial up at my pad....

posted by  Zalight

I have google earth, its pretty cool. They actually used it on CNN to show the areas in New Orleans that flooded. :ohcrap:

posted by  StiMan

yeah i read somewhere that Google got images of the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans... :ohcrap:

posted by  SuperJew

where is the flood damage in new orleans?

posted by  adamc44

Everywhere. (Not really, but I think last I saw like 75% was flooded. )

posted by  StiMan

i was just wanting to check it out on the map but everything looks kinda normal, i didnt know if these pics where up to date or not.

posted by  adamc44

The pics on Google Earth itself didnt change. CNN just used the origional ones. I think Google is just saving the ones they took for later.

posted by  StiMan

Your Message