Ironman Wisconsin

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Ironman Wisconsin

Hello fello car nutz,

I know that I have not been around for a while, but honestly the working world sucks. I have found myself too busy too post here often, but I do glance at everything being posted when I have time. Lately I have found that my days are even shorter when I factor in training. For what you say?

Ironman Wisconsin (http://www.ironmanwisconsin.com/)

Yes the greuling 140 miles race that will deturmain how in shape I am. I love training for it, that is for sure. So for those of you who dropped some notes, that is where I have been lately.

So send me some love and wish me some luck. :thumbs: It is suppose to 88 and humid so I am sure it will be fun :screwy:

posted by  Voda48

Wow, thats hardcore goodluck man!

posted by  Zalight

The word that noone knows until they live it.........

posted by  99integra

Wisconsin is a good race... I hear that Madison is really nice.

Are you going to try to qualify?

What is your age group?

posted by  ChromeDome

Good luck Voda. Do us Wisconsinites proud!! :thumbs:

Madison is great. I spent 5 wonderful years there. If you get a chance to visit.......

posted by  theman352001

What is there besides the school?

posted by  ChromeDome

Well a lot. I am from Madison and trust me when they ranked it as on of the top 10 cities in the states, they weren't joking. As far as division, I am a clydesdale (215 lbs and up), I'm a big boy (6'6", 225) :mrgreen:

posted by  Voda48

Well good luck man, do it for us lazy bastards at CF (just kidding) :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

Gregg! You really need to come back, I guess that I didnt convince you enough on AIM. Good luck man! :thumbs:

Wanna join the STi Fan Club? Heheh...

posted by  StiMan

Good luck with that! I wouldnt be able to do it :laughing: The most I can run is a mile. Biking is a different story though...

posted by  SlipKnoT

lol im not lazy wrestling an cheerleadin shit im busy all day everyday plus school geez

oh ya i can do 3 backhandsprings in a row now workin on 6

posted by  hhsrastler92

Stop bragging.... :laughing:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Voda - do you have a shot at qualifying?

posted by  ChromeDome

What do guy cheerleaders do? I thought all they did was stand there holding up the girls and look up their skirts? :laughing:

I can do 0 backhandsprings in a row, and Im working on 0! Yay! Go me! :clap:

posted by  StiMan

X2 :mrgreen:

posted by  Satty101

I could do at least 1. Then somebody could take me to the emergency room. :laughing:

posted by  theman352001

Well folks, here is the update:

Sunday the 11th in WI was a hot one, 92 degrees and humid with 15-20 mph winds (Heat Index 98) :banghead:

It started off well for me, the 2.4 mile swim was nice. The pros got to start about 200m ahead of the rest of the field. I quickely caught up as well as some other swimmers I had befriended earlier in the morning. After getting kicked in the stomach and punched in the back of the head (yes it does get violent) I managed to work my way through most of the pros. I ended up 15 out 2000+ after the swim.

The bike was pretty good, with the exception of a couple of things. One, I am 6'6" and weight 225, not ideal for a biker. Out of Madison on the begining of the 112 miles bike course I was getting pasted by all the pros who weight on ave 50-60 lbs less than I do. I was averaging really well for the first 16 miles, in fact too well. The first lap, ~56 miles into the race, I was holding about a 19 mph average which is amazing for me, however I was having a problem, I couldn't take on food. My stomach was shutting down. I took about a 30 min nap actually and found my strength again. My other problem was the heat. I sweat a lot and even tough I was drinking like a mad man I was getting crapped out. After a couple of breaks, I finally pulled off the road at mile 89.43 (according to bike computer). Depressingly I threw in the towel, the heat got to me. Total time to that point, 8 hours and 2 min.

Two things I learned, well really one thing. I am not built for those long ass races, I need to stick to a sprint tri where someone my size can be competitive. The other is that I sweat WAY to much. They pumped me with 3 Liters of fluids after the race and I still couldn't pee. SO thanks for the support mates.

BTW here is a pic of me on the bike, when I was actually looking good:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-3/84054/IronGregg(s).jpg

posted by  Voda48

Good times! I wouldn't have made it farther then a lazy wading in the lake 30 feet out.

posted by  Zalight

Sorry to hear about your race. It sounds like you've kept a level head through it though and came away with some insight. :clap:

Keep up with the training and go get-em next time. :thumbs:

posted by  theman352001

Good luck next time Gregg. You did more than I could! :laughing:

posted by  StiMan

Great work at the race. That is one of the beautiful things about racing, you never know what is going to happen on race day.
You had a tough day, but learned some valuable lessons. I challange you to give it another shot next year.

Why do you think you had so many stomach problems? Did you just go to hard in the first half?

Sounds like you are a great swimmer, btw. You must have finished at around 50 minutes or so. That is flying.

posted by  ChromeDome

Ya I swam in college, U Iowa, but am retired now. I swam the 2.4 miles in 51 min, was hoping for under 50 min but had to start and get around a bunch of crazy people.

The bike I was getting pasted by all the pros, it made me feel good cause I whopped their ass in the swim, but I went too hard the first 56 miles fo the bike loop. Beginners mistake may be but I couldnt take on food, was having trouble breathing too :banghead:

posted by  Voda48

So are you planning on becoming fully active on CF now? :mrgreen:

posted by  StiMan

I would say more so now that I have some free time. Whatever happen to VWHobo? He leave again???

posted by  Voda48

Whenever you can beat the pros, that is a great thing... I knew you must have been a college swimmer with that time.

That said, it is never a good sign when you can't eat anything.
If you are a heavy sweater, have you thought of taking any salt caps during the race?

posted by  ChromeDome

Yea I did take some, they help with cramping as well, more so than conserving water. I didnt really notice a difference at all, no quick fix there.

posted by  Voda48

Ya. It came out that he plagiarized a bunch of shit, and then there was a large flame war, people turned against him, so he left.

posted by  StiMan

Gotcha...
I guess it is all about pacing... Someone once told me that your race shouldn't even begin until 1PM.

posted by  ChromeDome

True, The swim should be a warm up, the bike build into it, then the run is where the real "race" is at. I just didnt get that far.

posted by  Voda48

Well, here's hope that you stick with it, and climb that mountain, so to speak.

posted by  ChromeDome

Your Message