The Day Katrina Hit

Home  \  Off Topic  \  The Day Katrina Hit

Sunday, August 28 10 PM my Mom told me “Pack your clothes and grab your horse’s registration papers. We’re going to Grandma’s.”

Monday, August 29 6:15 A.M
Woke up to the winds of Katrina. My Mom and I were getting dressed to check on my horses 3 miles away. My Grandpa threw a fit and refused to let us leave.
8:00 A.M. We lost power
8:30 A.M. We lost water
You could hear the shingles being ripped off the roof. Trees fell on the cars. Water started coming in. We had a total of 22 buckets throughout the house. Water was coming from the ceiling, the walls, the fireplace. It was a wet mess.
12:00 Noon, The Eye came. My cousin Christie, cousin Allen, Aunt Teresa and her boyfriend Lyle put tarps on the roof to try and stop the water. I tried to make my way to the stable but was stopped when I realized I didn’t have enough time to make it there and back in 20 minutes.
12:30 P.M. The second half of the storm.
The winds were so strong both Christie and I had to brace ourselves against the double set of French doors to keep them from flying open at every burst of wind. Since the winds were in reverse we now had trees falling towards the house instead of away.
5:00 P.M. Rains ceased. Mom and I tip toed and weaved through power lines. I felt like I was in that Catherine Zeta Jones movie, Entrapment. All the roads were blocked. We had to cut through the woods, climb two set of barbed wire fencing and make our way to the interstate. We walked two miles before reaching a breach in the airstrip and cut through.
6:00 P.M. We reached the main pasture. All horses accounted for. I remembering crying as I was hugging Jacqueline. By God’s good grace, the barn stood. However the fencing and trees weren’t as fortunate. I’ll take lots of photos this evening of the devastation at the stables.

I’m too tired to type the rest. Two weeks with no power or water. Just use your imagination of the hell that went on.

I’ve lived here almost 3 years now, and I don’t even recognize this place anymore.

---edit--- I'll add this in. We made front page news.

posted by  SyntheticTrust

Is that your house. That was a creative way to patch up the holes on the roof though. Whats counts aside from that is that you all have your lives and eachother.

posted by  Spanky2324

No that's Daniel's house. He had 3 trees through his roof. That house is 2 blocks from ours. By we I meant the Gated Community I live in made the front page. Sorry.

Wow, I can't really say anything im sure you wont have heard 4 million times by now:
"well, at least you still have your friends and family"
"Just stay strong and pick yourself up"
"I can only imagine what it was like"
etc.etc.etc...

But I can say this; Its good to here from you again! :thumbs:

posted by  Zalight

Thank the ****ing lord THE CF GODS PROTECTED YOU :clap:

posted by  99integra

Synthetic, is it true that Bav came flying out of sky with a red cape flapping in the breeze? Just a rumor I heard. :laughing:

posted by  theman352001

That was Bav? I was wondering who that was.

LOL, you know he is gonna post on this thread :laughing:

posted by  99integra

and you guys were kept safe from looters by my pimp slapping power :laughing: :ticking:

posted by  SuperJew

And I did donuts out front of your house...

posted by  Zalight

That and not to mention the fact that the National Guard is in my neighbor hood

Nice to have you back and glad you're okay :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Aww, Danke :)

Good to have you back Cera, you've been missed. :thumbs: Hopefully it wasnt too hard on you (nothing you cant get over), and good luck with the clean up.

posted by  car_crazy89

Hey, welcome back....glad you're ok! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Thats totally my ****in joke! Lol.. :laughing:

posted by  StiMan

Your Message