What were the 80s like?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  What were the 80s like?

Just a question for our older members,

Ive always loved the style, music, and lifestyle of the 80s. Ive always wanted to jump in a time machine a travel backto when the decade started and live through it. My dad says the 80s were the best time of his life.

What was it like?

posted by  SlipKnoT

The 80's(cliffs notes version):
-Well it all started when Disco Died, Soon there was a replacement with new wave music
-Hip-Hop started (In New york in 1986 with DJ herc)
-Then A bunch of white guys bought aqua net, an afro pick and learned how to play guitars(Scorpian, whitesnake, etc..)
-Michael Jackson wasn't crazy, and put out the best album EVER (thriller)
-women wore stirrup pants, and guys wore jeans two sizes to small
-coke was everywhere
-BMW introduced the first m3 :hi:
-I was born
-Ronald Reagan invented crack to deliberatly destroy the black community
-then in 1989 everyone realized how they had just spent the last 10 years, they brushed themselves off, cleared their throat and moved into the 90's

posted by  Zalight

^^^ sounds about right :D

posted by  TheFieroKid

Yup, those were the good old days :smoke:

posted by  chris_knows

i think most people credit rap as starting w/ the sugar hill gang in '79 (rapper's delight)...

myself, i became a fat boys fan in '84... :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

Rappers delight started hip-POP....

DJ herc started it all, he originally was doing his stuff in the mid 70's DJ'ing block parties with what he called "the brakes" (not that song of his, but a style of DJ'ing) The brakes happen when a DJ would take a popular song and just loop over and over what they thought was the best part. He became pretty famous for it throughout the 5 burrows, and eventually recorded some of his brakes and sold them for parties. He would promote his albums by putting home stereo speakers (gigantic ones) in the back of his drop top caddy and just drive around with them blaring.

The DJ was originally always the star in hip-hop. The emcee's job was to talk about how good the DJ was. Then emcees started mixing it up and adding some spice to their job by rhyming and dissing on other DJ's.

Thus, hip-hop as we know it was born. Rappers Delight brought hip-hop into the mainstream, but they were, as I said, hip-pop.

Everything about them was pop. They didn't even write rappers delight, they didn't know eachother two weeks before they started recording. They were a bunch of random emcees thrown together to make the queen bitch of hip-hop, sylvia robinson, money. And thats it.

posted by  Zalight

holy shit, did i hit a nerve there?

you said dj herc started his thing in '86. i was just saying that most people consider rap to have started in the 70's. i'm not trying to contradict you or say you're wrong. i'm just continuing the conversation, and trying to prompt for a little more detail... really we're just trying for enlightenment here, so don't consider things i say as a challenge---see them as a chance to educate...

peace and chicken grease, zalight...

posted by  dodger65

No offense was meant, I was just saying...

Sorry if it sounded hostile, I still love you man :thumbs:

posted by  Zalight

you're still not getting my bud light, zalight... :wink2:

was that commercial from the 80's?

posted by  dodger65

Crack was around before the 80s though...

And Ronald Reagan was the best president we've had for a LONG time. He did alot of great things for the economy and America. He did way more than Clinton or Bush.

i want some acid washed jeans actually....I should look on eBay.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Sex, drugs and alcohol/rock&roll....

... Oh sorry, i think that was the 70's :mrgreen:

posted by  car_crazy89

Look, we all know that MC Hammer started rap... :mrgreen:

The 80's were all about keyboard-guitars and big hair.

posted by  windsonian

I've heard it was a cool time to grow up...Heavy Metal bands and leather clad hotties lining the blvd.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Lol. And his wife started the (in)famous "Say No to Drugs". Lol.

posted by  abless

How could you forget this mullet?

http://www.macgyveronline.org/control/mac1.jpg

And another 80's mullet:

http://www.exlibris.ch/images_prod/4045/4045167005891f.jpg

posted by  abless

DJ Herca? Sugar Hill Gang?

Of course you would forget about Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash, Spoonie Gee, Pete Jones and more. And it originally came from Jamaican toasting, which was in effect as far back as the '50s (and even farther back than that in clubs). DJ Herca (Clive Campbell) came from Jamaica in the '60s, but he was only part of the influence of what became rap (his was still primarily Jamaican toasting). Lovebug Starski and Kurtis Blow were already rapping at parties.

You can even see a bit of it already influencing pop and rock music in Blondie's "Rapture." by '86, Grandmaster Melle Mel was already being featured in places like the "Miami Vice" soundtrack (which I have). Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five pioneered MCing, and were having freestyle rap battles in the '70s. A friend of mine at the time was big on Grandmaster Flash stuff, as well as Parliament Funkadelic, so we'd listen to a lot of their early stuff.

posted by  ChrisV

Very nice Chris! :clap:

Of course I cant forget those groups, Grandmaster flash and the furious 5 did my favorite song out of the 80's; The message.

To me, DJ herc was the transition from the older music styles of Jamacain toasting, motown, Disco and all other great Black expressions (like jazz and blues) to what is now accepted as hip-hop. He was, to me, the start of it all.

posted by  Zalight

The decade started with a whimper, but the baby boomers hit their stride and started taking control of corporations. It was a spend now, pay later decade.

posted by  Wally

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good."

How 'bout them 80's??

posted by  ChromeDome

Oh I see....you just HEARD it was a cool time to grow up lol...
:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message