Another Hurricane?!

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Another Hurricane?!

Did I hear correctly, that another pretty bad Hurrican named Rita's on it's way to parts of the US....Is this one set to be as bad as Katrina? I guess that's the last thing ya'll need right now :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

:2cents: it is a category 4 right now and is heading for texas and lousiana last i heard

posted by  mx3_monster

that f***ing sucks. :ohcrap:

posted by  glagon1979

I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it hits the areas that are already uninhabitable though, because that has already been hit, and nobody would be there...I think?

I heard that it was going to be worse than Katrina :doh: :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

The news is saying it's supposed to hit all the oil refineries, but I think they're over-elaborating just to cause a panic.

posted by  jedimario

Blame it on Bush. He's the one controlling the hurricane maker machine :orglaugh:

posted by  Spanky2324

Actually, as it stands, Rita is listed at Cat 4, but is expected to become a Cat 5 before it hits shore on Saturday. Galveston, Houston, Austin are all part of the predicted path for the hurricane when it first hits land. Later targets will be Dallas, Ft. Worth, and Western Louisiana. Galveston is litereally screwed, being that it is an Island city, with only 25ft worth of storm surge protection on the Gulf side, and the storm surge is predicted to hit 60 feet. As well, they have no protection on the Bay side of the island, facing Texas, which leaves them even more vunerable to flooding. New Orleans is still possibly screwed, if they get rain, or any sort of storm surge, then the levees could fail. Even with just rain, there could be two to four feet of wate in the low lying sectors.

If Rita makes a slight turn to the North-east, then New Orleans is definitely screwed, because then it would be getting even more of Rita then currently predicted...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Rita has been downgraded to Category 3. Here is the latest.....

Rita Info (http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=wxcenter_news)

posted by  theman352001

Isn't what they are saying is that for 10 more years it will be a countinous cycle of very strong hurricanes, so if that is true, we still have 10 years until our luck runs out and we get seriously ****ed by a 5 that makes St. Pete an island :banghead:

posted by  99integra

Well... its a Cat 3. Before I was going to get hit with a Cat 2 force hurricaine all the way up here.

And just FYI they arent trying to drive people scared. 50% of the US's "Chemical Production". IE: 25% of ALL of the gasoline produced in the US AND 100% of the gas sold in Texas is located in Beaumont (the city that is now screwed because of the shift). So really, Texas will run out of gas (state-wide) sometime next week, and gas prices will sky-rocket. It will be great! :thumbs: :banghead:

posted by  StiMan

Well, I sure hope it works out okay for all those affected! :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Its pretty strange. Lots of wind here, and solid cloudy sky... hmm...

posted by  StiMan

on wednesday when Texas was still predicted to get the biggest hit, and there was the world's largest traffic jam outside of Houston, all of the local groceries were out of water, bread, and flashlights.

Alas, no one found the frozen pizzas.

I also have enough bottled water to last me a month....

posted by  monodynamic

Ya. I heard that they made both sides of 3/45(?) going north. Damn...

posted by  StiMan

Your Message