Honda Del Sol?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Honda Del Sol?

Well, I drove my sister's boyfriend's Del Sol tonight (1.6L 5-speed) and you know, it was more fun than I would've ever thought it'd be. So now I'm debating buying it. What would you guys think? Just wondering. Also, what do you think of Del Sols?

posted by  Satty101

Never driven one (as i just turned 16 recently), but i think they are pretty nice looking cars. Theres a guy down the street who owns a yellow one with not too much done to it. I think if the price is right and you really like how they are, then i'd say buy one :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

Not a bad car, basically what car_crazy said :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

I think they are nice, tossable little cars.

posted by  hondaman

... and tossable is good? :doh:

posted by  windsonian

My friend had one...till he recked it into a tree

def a fast, fun little car. has potential. if you like it and its a good price then go for it.

you can never go wrong with a honda :thumbs:

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

Meaning easy to throw around in corners. :thumbs:

posted by  hondaman

aaah, I was thinking toss it out after a year or something.... :oops:

posted by  windsonian

well the firstt time i had a ride in one i was blown away, for 1. he bagged the shit out of it but for reason 2 is because he's driven it that way from new, he would hold red line(about 9,000rpm i think) and pop the clutch smokin tires on every corner, no mods just a nice stereo, love the back window of those wish i could put electric roll down rear window in my caprice, that would rox0r. small but deffinately a sweet ride i have to say, just watch out for curbs on icy roads i had to rplace 2 or 3 spindles for him cuz he liked smakin the curb going too fast

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your quick tonight arn't you? :laughing:

My friend recked his after hitting ice...going straight lol

Started to spin and the rear end when into a tree..still ran fine but the trunk wouldn't close and it obivously looked bad..and he couldn't pass inspection with bad tail lights...

he sold it for like $800 i believe

edit: spelling

Unless its the VTEC del Sol, its slow as hell.
Even the VTEC one wasn't all that great.

posted by  nsupra27

i say you should get a del sol they kick ass

posted by  black_plague

Cool cars. If you want it, get it. Besides, its a Honda! Lol... :laughing:

posted by  StiMan

I think they are a great project car to work on, acceptable powerplant, and low weight, which is good in multiple ways. If you can find one around your price range, get it.

posted by  Accord_Man

I think of it as a Front Wheel Drive Miata, and they seem like pretty nice, fun-to-drive cars. They usually come in pretty cheap, so you get a lot of bang-for-your-buck. Plus, you don't see Del Sol's on the road everyday. I say Go For It!

posted by  moostang104314

Figures, now Im faced with a decision. Get that Del Sol for 2G, or buy a 94 Ford Ranger for 100 bucks (Needs clutch and rear end. Oh, and passengerside window. Now I like the truck because of the possibilities (V8 6-speed swap) but I like the Honda because of the reliability and how fun it is to drive. I've been wanting a small truck for a very long time now, so what would you do in this situation? Seems like I keep askin for opinions but ohwell...

posted by  Satty101

I'd take the Del Sol, but just because I'm not much of a truck guy. Also depends on if you can get a good deal on the Del Sol, but there will be more of each, so it's up to you :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

get the truck. del sols are chick cars... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

I'm not crazy about trucks, but if the prices of gas keeps going up, the Del Sol might be a better choice. Plus, it would be a lot more fun to drive IMO.

posted by  hondaman

I would get the ranger, but, i am reluctant to tell you to get one because it may give you all hell :banghead:

posted by  99integra

Dude you are a redneck and don't like trucks, wow.......... :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Why not go for both, if the car needs nothing then you can driuve it right away and then for an extra $100 you get the truck and just keep it somewhere till you get the money for the parts it needs. Or if you really cant decide then flip a coin or something.

posted by  car_crazy89

I know... :laughing:

But I'll be the first to tell you to put some flowmasters on it if you do have one.

posted by  hondaman

Its true, he is, i've already been told :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

LOL, same here, but they don't have any setups for the damn 2.3 liter :banghead:

posted by  99integra

Dynomax>flowmasterbater....

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

you really don't want a flowmaster on a 2.3... when i worked at a shop, a guy brought in a tempo and asked us to put a flowmaster on so his car would have "the big block sound" <--- his words! we tried to tell him he needed 4 more cylinders for that, but he said go ahead... :roll: very subdued sound on that car, but i did prefer it to a fart can... :2cents:

ps banff....
flowmaster>dynocrap=cheap $15 generic turbo... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Theyre good on gas and reliable, but in my opinion I think theyre girl cars :laughing:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Well, as yet another update, I went with the truck (I would've had to borrow money from my parents if I wanted the Del Sol and I really don't want to do it again). I got the truck for 100 bucks and he threw in a free minivan. Haha. So I went to my work late last night with a couple of friends and stripped as much as we could (The seats in that thing kick ass!). Im not putting a flowmaster in it either. Infact, Im not going to have any mufflers on it. Haha. Straight pipe out the pass. side bed. I'm going to (eventually) have the truck towed on a flatbed to my work so my boss and I can find out why the rear end is locked (and hopefully fix it without putting on a new rear end) and put a new clutch in it. I have pictures of it, but my computer is pretty much dead so Im using the laptop which I don't know how to use. I doubt I can get them on here. I'll try though. But for now, back to school.

posted by  Satty101

Can someone suggest a good muffler that'll give her a little note to her

posted by  99integra

Congratulations on your choice (i thought either way would of been good), hope you can get her all fixed up without having to dump a ton of money into her. Pictures would be nice but if you can get them then no big deal. :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

shit, i dunno. just try to stay away from things that cackle (glasspacks, straight pipes, fart cans, etc.) the flowmaster would give you a little note, but it's not gonna sound quite like you think it's gonna

not like this ---> http://www.compcams.com/base/multimedia/soundbytes/compcams278.mp3

a cheapass turbo muffler would give you a little note, it's really tough to make a 4 cyl sound right. best way is probably to leave it alone...

posted by  dodger65

LOL, I know I won't get the sound of a big block with a cam in it :laughing:
I want a mellow sound like that of the 6 cylinder, just a little note if you know what i mean

posted by  99integra

well, then a "blowfaster" just might do it for you, as long as you keep your expectations reasonable... might wanna try a turbo muff first, tho--little bit cheaper....

funny story, tho. i have a dumb friend (we all have one of those, right?) that me and about 5 other guys convinced that there was a muffler brand actually called "blowfaster" as well a brand called "flowmaster" the funniest part was when he tried to get some blowfasters for his jeep, and deperately tried to convince the guy at the speed shop that "there are, too blowfasters!" i about died laughing... :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message