My evaluation

Home  \  Off Topic  \  My evaluation

My physical test for the United States Navy is Wednesday. Basically I will then know if I am qualified to serve. Wish me luck

posted by  6000LE

Goodluck. I will be taking the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) soon, (Birthday on wednsday) It is then I will be able to take the test for the Marines.

posted by  Pythias

I took that test I scored very nicely. Last year it was. Are you a senior or junior?

posted by  6000LE

Good luck to both of you...I'd never do something like that...to lazy :laughing: but I might in a few years change my mind...

posted by  chris_knows

You're not one of my favorites on the forum, but good luck. I have respect for anyone willing to serve their country. I hope you pass the test, and good luck in your future in the Navy.

posted by  torinoman80

At least something is getting me some respect. :laughing: Thanks I'm sure I will do fine.

posted by  6000LE

Yea, sometimes you get me a little heated, but I usually let stuff go. It might be too little too late but running is about the BEST way to get in shape. My cross country season just finished. 5 miles a day, and I'm in the best shape of my life.

posted by  torinoman80

yeah just hope you dont get sent out to fight for other peoples beliefs, and a money whoring political game, good luck

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

I actually do hope I go to fight. Even if I get killed, its not like I am leaving anything behind, so it doesnt matter. Matter of fact, you will never know Im gone.

posted by  6000LE

Don't say that man. You got your whole life ahead of you.

posted by  torinoman80

Dude...that's courage that I could never have...I have great respect for you, but don't hope to get killed though...that's just wrong :ohcrap: , but you'll be in my prayers...

posted by  chris_knows

Yea, but ive ****ed up in school for 11 years and going on 12, so not like I can do much with my life. Maybe fulfill my previous career idea. Auto mechanic :banghead:

posted by  6000LE

I dont have much to live for so its not that bad. And thanks, but remember I still have to pass my evaluation.

posted by  6000LE

You can have a career in the Navy with excellent benefits and early retirement. Just being in the armed forces gives you that much more respect. The military has options, you just have to take them.

posted by  torinoman80

Dude, it's never too late to get a better education...and like TM80 said, you could join and not go to war

posted by  chris_knows

Thats not how it works. If they need you, you cant just say no. I was bourn in a country where everyone went to the army. If you dindt go to college, you would get drafted. If you dindt do good in college, you would get drafted, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. If you didnt go, you would be imprisoned for life. Thats Ukraine for ya. So my dad told me anyway.

posted by  6000LE

Glad you won't be defending my country... BAM! :laughing:

Seriously though good luck, and godspeed in protecting your country.

"One Nation, under Canada, above Mexico" - Robin Williams

posted by  Mathew

You're not in Ukraine anymore. American is a country of freedom. No one is forcing you to go die in war.

posted by  torinoman80

If you can color with Crayons, staying between the lines, you are eligible to be in the Marines.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Yeah, my dad grew up in a country like that, where you had to go to the army, but you wouldn't have to go to war...but don't go to war if you are going just to die... :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

That was the best I am watching the DVD as we speak...dislexic people HAHA

posted by  6000LE

Its much more complicated than that Bav. I would really apretiate it if you gave a 17 year old at least a little credit for going to the Navy. Thanks in advance.

posted by  6000LE

Hey, you said it lol. Seriously though, I hope it goes well for you.

I left school 6 yrs ago and I feel the same....It seems like you're gonna finally make something of tourself though, well done!

posted by  Cliffy

Um...not really. I've known many block-head Marines. Not much more intelligent than a door knob, but they can fight.

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it :wink2:

posted by  Wally

What relation does this have to my evaluation?

posted by  6000LE

Whatever you say....... :doh: and this is my physical evaluation and you are talking about blockheads.

posted by  6000LE

No idea, but it's funny as hell.

posted by  torinoman80

Obviously sir, you have not seen Forrest Gump.

posted by  hondaman

Best movie ever!

posted by  torinoman80

That test is so rediculously easy....

My friend was never in ROTC or anything in high school and he isn't what I would call a smart person and scored over 90% on it.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Right now I am waiting to be in First Recon in the Marines :smoke:

posted by  99integra

For real or no? I can never tell when you are serious or not.

posted by  6000LE

No I havent. We were watching G.I. Jane in school today. Great movie. Also behind enemy lines, An officer and a gentleman, and I forget what its called the movie with Robert Deniro and Cuba Gooding Jr.

posted by  6000LE

En serio, I want to be in First Recon, always on the line first, tests all physical and psychological areas and very interesting

posted by  99integra

I bet so

posted by  6000LE

You'd be surprised...many of the guys I took it with...didn't get over a 60!!

Why are you joining the marines, 6000LE?

Besides the;

Surely you've scoped out more options than just two?

posted by  Godlaus

Senior, about to turn 17. I took the practice and did extremely well too and my recruiter said that usually you do even better on the real thing so we will see.

Thanks and it was only recently I really made this decision.

posted by  Pythias

can you say BRAINWASH wtf are you watching war movies in school for? america must need more troops

Decision to what?

posted by  Godlaus

Go into the Marine Corps....

posted by  Pythias

:orglaugh:

posted by  Pythias

Makes it almost seem like they'd throw out test scores and lie to people that they'd be good marines because they supposedly scored high on a test :laughing: .

America always needs troops beo, I had to get a recruiter off my back about a month ago. He was a persistant bugger.

posted by  Godlaus

What led you to that decision?

posted by  Godlaus

I have always had an idea of going into some kind of military in the back of my head for a long time. It was just this year I decided to go talk to the Airforce, the one I was most interested in, and talk to them about the Airforce in general. It was my mother who suggested I look into the marines first just to talk to them and after talking to them and my uncle, a retired marine, and my grandfather also a retired marine I decide I wanted to become a Marine Officer. Basically my plan is college for 4 years while training to become an officer in an OCS program and up until the day of my graduation from college, it is then I have to decide whether it is what I want to do. I will be training some during the 4 years and they will be helping me out finanacially a little for college, but I have no obligations to them. So basically I can go to college for 4 years with their aid and be training some and on the day I graduate if I decide I don't want to go into the marines I don't have to, no strings attached.

posted by  Pythias

[QUOTE=Pythias](essay by Pythias)QUOTE]
Good plan. Just make sure you end up doing what you want to do in this world.

posted by  Godlaus

Thats nice. Does the navy have that? What if a war breaks out they are gona take you bro.

posted by  6000LE

The ratio of marines fighting and dying as compared to those doing misc work is around 8:1, if I remember correctly.

And if you're afraid of dying or going to war, then you probably shouldn't be in the military at all. There's a very slim chance of you dying, but you'll die for a cause that you wanted to die for. And that's the best way to go.

posted by  Godlaus

I know. I dont care to die because life is :cussing: anyway. I got nothing left to live for, so might as well do something good.

posted by  6000LE

Thanks I plan on it, nto sure if the navy has it and no I wouldn't get shipped off to war because its an officer candidate program, not a recruit, I won't be in any kind of reserves.

posted by  Pythias

Life is %&*^ NOW. But life will be great for you later. You have something to live for, be it family, friends, jobs, or wants and needs. That's a horrible attitude. Don't let it dictate you.

The armed forces are for those who want to defend this country and fight for what it stands for, not for people who have no other option. (granted, that's what it should stand for, but not really what it does).

posted by  Godlaus

The naval academy has some great benefits. Too bad you've got to be a superjock to get into it. (4.0 GPA + State Champ in football + President of 12354187145 clubs)

How does the officier candidate program differentiate from the Academy?

posted by  Godlaus

You shouldn't be looking at it that way, as the main reason your joining it.

posted by  Pythias

Like what? I wana have the following
Big house, pool, pool table, big tv, soft couches, big bed, fast motorcycle, sports car, luxury car, suv, and thats it. But with my grades im never gona get a job making nuff money for all of that. Unless you can tell me that everything before College is just bullshit that doesnt do you any good or bad later in life. :laughing:

posted by  6000LE

Damn thats alot.. I want a decent house with prolly 2 car garage, a pool table maybe, possibly a pool I dunno. And a truck and my dream mustang.

posted by  Pythias

I dunno why but I want to be in First Recon right now, the Marines is really promising (coming from a teen that is so damn anti government it isn't even funny) but hell if I can get into it at 17 then I can do what I like and get paid doin it

posted by  99integra

And what do you like doin?

posted by  6000LE

Being outdoors, being tested physically and mentally, shooting shit, and just being with friends

posted by  99integra

If you just like shooting shit, then go to a gunrange, not the army. Being tested....youll grow out of that soon enough. A week in boot camp, youll be begging to be out.

posted by  6000LE

hmmm, pot calling the kettle black a little maybe... - you been there already or are you just talking smack?

posted by  dodgerforlife

Lets just say to each his own, and I want to go into the MARINES because they are the first on call

posted by  99integra

Gotta agree with 6000LE on this one.

posted by  Pythias

I gota give you credit though. Because it takes a lot of :cussing: to want to be first on the line. Good luck

posted by  6000LE

No offense, but I'm rather worried our government is willing to give guns to some of you guys...lol. Good luck on your evaluation. They'll make sure you are open to suggestive comments (making it easier to brainwash). :thumbs:

posted by  97Talonchik

Yea I think I would qualify as one of those trigger happy bastards :doh:.
But seriously the government is a corrupted institution of liberal cracker jacks that don't know when enough is enough

posted by  99integra

I know many jarheads...they're all a little whacky. :screwy:

posted by  97Talonchik

Yea I guess you're talking to a future one and I'm more than a little :screwy: :smoke:

posted by  99integra

Exactly my point, you'd make a good jarhead. Easily corruptable. :laughing:

posted by  97Talonchik

Oh god don't get me started on corruption, that is one thing I can talk about for hours :banghead:

posted by  99integra

you can get a job in construction. im making 45000 a year. or join the railroad starting out at some positions making 60-80000 a yr. and up to 125000. the rr is what im shooting for.

posted by  adamc44

shit, any skilled labour makes good money - electricians can make upwards of 80-90k a year, and thats just working the minimum, not even doing special contracts...

hell, i'm looking at a car stereo installation course, and wages after that is in the range of almost 50k yearly....for only two months of school, thats not bad at all.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Reall 6000LE high school means absolute shit, i was 90-95% student when i tried but all the competition and good goods that would rub tests in your face and say they are going to better colleges than you HAHA ****IN HA, 40,000 a year starting wage, at age 22 i go back home to see all the people i was competeing with, guess what they do.....cmon just guess, NOTHING squat sweet **** all, they became bar stars tramps alcoholics and still have 100,000 dollar debts from thier oh so great college, the only people that have made it anywhere in life where the ones that actually work hard and most of them are in trades, p.s i dropped out of school at grade 11 wish i didn't but i did, if your a good person and treat people the way you would wanna be treated you can go anywhere and do anything, and i know when i was in school life seemed horrible and people gave me the speach all the time, in one ear and out the other but i can see it now, HIGHSCHOOL means diddly in the long term, just remeber in life there is NOTHING to do and NOWWHERE to go so it is what you make it.

and if there is spelling errors in there remeber im a loser dropout so.....GFY

I Passed!!!

posted by  6000LE

Congrats man :thumbs: :clap: What'd you get?

posted by  chris_knows

What do you mean....on the ASVAB I got 68 I dont know what else you are talking about.

posted by  6000LE

Whoop...I thought they gave you a precentage for it...boy do I feel stupid now :doh: :oops:

posted by  chris_knows

:orglaugh:

posted by  6000LE

well, there's the one extreme where you drop out of HS and make some good money...

and then there's my parents' routes. both finished HS, went to Cornell University for undergrad and then went to University of Pennsylvania for grad schools. then my dad went to dental school, specialty training, and makes a little over 300K for doing root canals all day.

my mom was a social worker (got her MSW) until I was born, and then became a housewife.

time to wrap your brains around that...

posted by  SuperJew

What does this relate to? My NAVY possibility? I dont see how. People from the NAVY are more respected, and their resume looks good. Please clear this up for me I am having a hard time comprehending what you intend.

posted by  6000LE

68? Good grief...did you even pay the least bit attention in school? A Chimp could score at least a 70!!

Get ready to be put on RECON!

Weldone :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

68 qualifies me to be in advanced programs. The average person scores 35. So next time please get information before attepmpting to insult me. 68 is a great score it doesnt mean a D like in high school. Thank you

posted by  6000LE

Lets get it right now. A 35 is the minimum required for the Navy.

Minimum Required ASVAB Scores and Education Level (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm)

The test has a max of 99 points so you are in the 68th percentile. This classifies you as a Category II recruit. Not bad.

ABCs of the ASVAB (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/asvababcs.htm)

posted by  theman352001

Exactly

posted by  6000LE

Would you rather them give guns to guys like Michael Jackson?

He wouldn't know how to use it. :doh:

posted by  hondaman

What did that have to do with anything?

posted by  6000LE

Just saying I'd rather have gun raging loonatics than tame, messed up people like Michael JAckson out ther eo nthe battlefields.

Strangly enough, I think he MIGHT find a use for it.... :laughing:

WHOA shit... :puke:

That's just what we would want to hear in the daily news...

posted by  hondaman

HAHA :laughing:

posted by  6000LE

what I said relates to the idea that there are other ways to be successful, other than dropping out or getting your GED or joining the military or anything of the like.

and don't get me started on people in the navy 'getting more respect.' by who? I sure as hell respect doctors and nurses more than a military person (well, medics/army doctors are the exceptions) - they save lives. i respect an ER surgeon more, because they have to deal with trauma victims who could die at any minute, and are fighting against time to save someone's life. And what about the oncologist who has to deal with the 5 year old girl with a brain tumor, who's life will end in a matter of months, and the distraught parents who have been afflicted with such a fate, that their daughter has to die at such a young age. but I digress...what i'm saying is you can't generalise that navy people get more respect than doctors or anyone else...while YOU may feel this way, others do not. phew.

but that's just my :2cents:

posted by  SuperJew

So you respect a doctor saving a single life, or a troop of brave men fighting to prevent terrorists from destroying thousands of lives?
Also I hate doctors because they only do whats gona make them more money. My dad has a tumor in his lip, and the doctor knew what it was, but he sent him to 5 of his friends so that they could all make money and give him the same analasys. They all said "well we know what it is, but my friend can tell you more about it" and kept redirecting him, and in the end he went to my uncle in Atlanta, and got surgery for free. Doctors are like lawyers. Scum moneysucking weasels.

posted by  6000LE

well, doctors save many single lives. remember, many patients. and yes, I do respect them more. granted, i'm not a fan of the whole Iraq war situation, but what's done is done. we're there, and there's nothing we can do about that. but look at the US occupation in Iraq...you hear about suicide bombers who kill civilians (granted, it may be accidental, but it still happens...) because they 'want the infidels out of my country.' What about them?

whoa, i just lost my train of thought. i'll finish this thought later....maybe. :laughing:

PS. not all doctors are like that...none of the doctors i've been to pull that kind of crap. maybe you just have bad luck with doctors :ohcrap:

posted by  SuperJew

Well could be.

posted by  6000LE

Lemme contradict about what you just said of the NAVY being the most respected in the Military. Ever think that maybe the Marines are the "grunts" so to speak of a lot of the hand to hand combat? You have to remember that the NAVY rarely sees the action, they usually just shoot off the artillery strikes unless you are in the SEALS where they fight everywhere.

posted by  99integra

I dindt mean NAVY men, I meant military. Sorry for the little confusion there. Marines are the first on the line thats true, but the NAVY, just as any of the other military branches plays a vital role in combat.

posted by  6000LE

well really there wouldnt be a need for the war's if these countries werent run by idiots, i think you need to take some history courses to see why your actually fighting this war, ignorance breeds ignorance and so on and so on if dubya bush didnt smoke crack and read some history books that were written by unbiased americans or someone with an actual brain, he might not be invading countries he doesnt have to, like wtf does terrorist bombings have to do with americans in IRAQ....wasnt it OSAMA who claimed responsibility for bombing your towers? hmmmmm

Dumb and Dumber = Bush senior and Bush junior.

posted by  6000LE

Doctors save more than a single life. They save lives everyday, every hour despite their personal belief they don't discriminate based on race, color or creed. Can you say that about the military? I don't think so. :2cents:

posted by  97Talonchik

It takes a lot of balls to risk your life for others. Any bookworm can be a doctor if he really wants to but not everyone has the heart to risk their lives for the better of others. If a doctor had a choice to donate his heart and die to save a patient, would he? Didnt think so. Maybe in 1 of 1,000,000,000 cases.

posted by  6000LE

Can you speak for a doctor? I don't think so. It takes a lot of heart to do the damn ****ing things they do every day for ungrateful bastards like you.

posted by  97Talonchik

Doctors saved my father's life, and for that I am eternally grateful.

I am also greatful for the sacrifices our nation's armed forces made for us over our history...

posted by  hondaman

Ungrateful how?

posted by  6000LE

I agree with Kristi, do you know how stressful it might be to see people die after you just tried to save them, and the images and sights they see, shit bra I would kill myself

posted by  99integra

Yes I can say that about the military. You think that just because someone is a doctor they have no prejudices against other people for whatever reason, and that none of those doctors have let someone die either though action or inaction? I'm not painting all doctors with the same brush that you just painted the military, but you know it has and will continue to happen.

The other side of this coin is that apparently you feel that people in the military all discriminate and don't save lives because of their prejudices. Newsflash Twinkie. The vast majority of US military personell will do whatever it takes to care for others... Even the enemy. Ask any wounded combatant, even terrorists, who they want to be picked up by and EVERY SINGLE ONE will tell you US troops.

Last thought. All doctors save lives and have no prejudice. All military have prejudice and will let you die. What about military doctors? Kind of a dilemma for you, isn't it. Next time THINK before you type. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

[QUOTE=vwhobo]The other side of this coin is that apparently you feel that people in the military all discriminate and don't save lives because of their prejudices. [QUOTE]
When was that said by me?

posted by  6000LE

You really are that stupid, aren't you? First of you can't even competently quote another post. Then you accuse me of putting words in your mouth. Wake up dumbass, I was quoting someone elses statement.

posted by  vwhobo

Damn. Someone stepped on the ignorance button around here...

In fact, Saddam provided refuge to notorious terrorists who had murdered Americans. Saddam provided a safe haven for Abu Abbas (leader of the hijacking of the ship Achille Lauro and the murder of the elderly American passenger Leon Klinghoffer), for Abu Nidal, and for the 1993 World Trade Center bombmaker, Abdul Rahman Yasin. By law, Saddam therefore was an accessory to the murders. Saddam order his police to murder former American President George Bush when he visited Kuwait City in 1993; they attempted to do so, but failed. In 1991, he ordered his agents to murder the American Ambassador to the Philippines and, separately, to murder the employees of the U.S. Information Service in Manila; they tried, but failed.

In 1991, a large number of Western hostages were taken by the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and held in terrible conditions for a long time. After that same invasion was repelled—Saddam having killed quite a few Americans and Egyptians and Syrians and Brits in the meantime and having threatened to kill many more.

Iraqi forces fired, every day, for 10 years, on the aircraft that patrolled the no-fly zones and staved off further genocide in the north and south of the country. In 1993, a certain Mr. Yasin helped mix the chemicals for the bomb at the World Trade Center and then skipped to Iraq, where he remained a guest of the state until the overthrow of Saddam.

On November 15, 1997, the main propaganda organ for the Saddam regime, the newspaper Babel (which was run by Saddam Hussein's son Uday) ordered: "American and British interests, embassies, and naval ships in the Arab region should be the targets of military operations and commando attacks by Arab political forces." (Stephen Hayes, The Connection: How al Qaeda's Collaboration with Saddam Hussein has Endangered America (N.Y.: HarperCollins, 2004), p. 94.) On November 25, 2000, Saddam declared in a televised speech, "The Arab people have not so far fulfilled their duties. They are called upon to target U.S. and Zionist interests everywhere and target those who protect these interests."

On the first anniversary of the September 11 attacks, a weekly newspaper owned by Uday Hussein said that Arabs should "use all means-and they are numerous-against the aggressors...and considering everything American as a military target, including embassies, installations, and American companies, and to create suicide/martyr [fidaiyoon] squads to attack American military and naval bases inside and outside the region, and mine the waterways to prevent the movement of war ships..."

As French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin stated on November 12, 2002, "The security of the United States is under threat from people like Saddam Hussein who are capable of using chemical and biological weapons." De Villepin's point is indisputable: Saddam was the kind of person who was capable of using chemical weapons, since he had actually used them against Iraqis who resisted his tyrannical regime.

Saddam invaded Kuwait. The US was asked to take care of him, but we decided that we only needed to rattle his cage. he killed hundreds of thousands of his opwn people. he violated 14 UN resolutions, and most importantly, we never stopped being at war with him from the Gulf war! We were only in a cease fire, which he violated by shooting at US and British planes for years, and putting out rewards for the deaths of ANY Americans or British anywhere in the world. We were well within our international rights to go back in and finish the war.

In 1998, Clinton signed the Iraqi Liberation act, WRITTEN by Democrats. That Act was the primary reason we were legally able to go back, but it was put into place BEFORE bush was President. Top Penatgon officials (who had been in charge during Clinton's presidency and were in place during the FIRST World Trad Center bombing and the bombing of the USS Cole) pointed out that taking care of Afghanistan, then finishing the Job with Iraq, would remove much of the ability of al Qaida to organize and create a larger network and attack larger targets.

In fact, when Wolfowitz originally presented the case for Iraq being ultimately behind teh terrorist attacks, Bush was not convinced, and wanted to concenttrate on Afghanistan, though he WAS worried that iraq, long a haven for terrrost activities, and already violating cease fire agreements, would try to take advantage of 9/11 to up anti American operations. On September 15th, Iraq wasn't even on the table as an option, thoough they were studying contingency plans in case Saddam attacked during that time.

From teh 911 Commission report:

posted by  ChrisV

I have a "propaganda organ" too. I'm always telling people it's bigger than it really is. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

Exactly, not only can he not fully read a post, even if he does, most of the time he cannot comprehend what it is saying. :screwy:

posted by  Pythias

How come up here in the north we never hear about that. :doh: I thought Bush just attacked Iraq for the weapons of mass destruction (which were not there)

posted by  chris_knows

You hear what you want to hear. Candian and American (and British) news reported it repeatedly, but just like Democrats here, once you heard the ONE small part of the reason that operations in Iraq resumed, you failed to listen to the rest of it. But, to go on about why you heard so much about them...

WMDs were one reason, and at the time EVERYONE on the planet knew he was using chemical weapns on his own people, had the ability to make more, and was in negotiations with Waly's avatar for nukes. So when that reason was brought up, the media ran with it. I will agree that the administration could have done more to not play it up, but I'm sure the Pentagon advised the Pres that any reason that gets the public behind them is ok, since there were a lot of other real reasons as well.

As to the threat of WMDs, it was known well before 9/11, as well as after, and these statments were made by democrats and world leaders, many well before Dubya took office.

"What is at stake is how to answer the potential threat Iraq represents with the risk of proliferation of WMD. Baghdad's regime did use such weapons in the past. Today, a number of evidences may lead to think that, over the past four years, in the absence of international inspectors, this country has continued armament programs." -- Jacques Chirac, October 16, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security." -- Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002

"I am absolutely convinced that there are weapons...I saw evidence back in 1998 when we would see the inspectors being barred from gaining entry into a warehouse for three hours with trucks rolling up and then moving those trucks out." -- Clinton's Secretary of Defense William Cohen in April of 2003

"Iraq is not the only nation in the world to possess weapons of mass destruction, but it is the only nation with a leader who has used them against his own people." -- Tom Daschle in 1998

"Over the years, Iraq has worked to develop nuclear, chemical and biological weapons. During 1991 - 1994, despite Iraq's denials, U.N. inspectors discovered and dismantled a large network of nuclear facilities that Iraq was using to develop nuclear weapons. Various reports indicate that Iraq is still actively pursuing nuclear weapons capability. There is no reason to think otherwise. Beyond nuclear weapons, Iraq has actively pursued biological and chemical weapons.U.N. inspectors have said that Iraq's claims about biological weapons is neither credible nor verifiable. In 1986, Iraq used chemical weapons against Iran, and later, against its own Kurdish population. While weapons inspections have been successful in the past, there have been no inspections since the end of 1998. There can be no doubt that Iraq has continued to pursue its goal of obtaining weapons of mass destruction." -- Patty Murray, October 9, 2002

"As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -- Nancy Pelosi, December 16, 1998

"Whether one agrees or disagrees with the Administration’s policy towards Iraq, I don’t think there can be any question about Saddam’s conduct. He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do. He lies and cheats; he snubs the mandate and authority of international weapons inspectors; and he games the system to keep buying time against enforcement of the just and legitimate demands of the United Nations, the Security Council, the United States and our allies. Those are simply the facts." -- Henry Waxman, Oct 10, 2002

The point is that the multiple reasons didn't "change"... they were all always there. They were all always mentioned. Opponents of the war are busy manufacturing an argument by citing ONLY the WMD arguments before the war, and pretending that all the other arguments were never made until after the war.

The WMD were there -- the entire world (save for a few dupes of Hussein) said so -- the UN said so -- Hussein used them against his own people -- He tried his first nuclear reactor (for making bomb materials) in 1981, Israel being somewhat more astute than we at that point bombed it out of existence. What they didn't bomb was Husain's desire to continue in his efforts to build the bomb. Same goes for the chemical/nerve agent type stuff -- not to mention the huge stockpiles of more conventional weapons.

The question is actually, "Where did they go?" not, "Did he have any?" They're out there somewhere -- either moved to another country or buried in the sand. After all, we gave Hussein literally years to know that we were going to do something, and he was not an idiot. In fact, he was trained in CIA type maneuvers and fully capable of hiding his stuff from prying eyes.

We HAD direct actual evidence of wrongdoing on multiple levels, and the Iraq Liberation Act (Public Law 105-338) signed by Clinton. He violated a cease fire agreement, which gave us the right to go back in and finish the job, WMDs or NOT, regardless of how anyone thinks it was "sold" to the public.

posted by  ChrisV

6000LE,

If you're looking for the luxuries of a great life that come with a great pay, and have bad grades, you're pretty much stuck. However, currently, there is a national (drought?) on automotive technicians. There aren't enough entering the field as opposed to retiring to compensate for the increasing number of vehicles and their complexity.

If you want to make around $25-$40 an hour ($25/hr = 50k/year), then your best bet is a vocational or technical job. Electrician, plumber, technician, etc. By getting an ASE master certification (by taking 8 tests, I believe, and passing them all), you're set to make 25-30 bucks an hour, after 2 years experience to validate the certifications. From there on out, there are multiple numbers of ASE certifcations in different fields where you can get even more cash by getting those certifications. It's not a thinking intensified field, and just requires that you study, and learn to apply what you read.

This, I believe, is a much better choice than the military if you're only money-concentrated. However, I expect your values to change in the next 5 years.

posted by  Godlaus

Sorry but... As someone who is and has been ASE CMAT (I have 23 ASE certs in total) for years and owns multiple shops, I can assure you from the short time I've seen this individual operate that he is not automotive technician material or military material for that matter. Until he takes invetory of his talents and apptitude and matures a little he'll find it hard to progress, or even get into, most career fields.

BTW, those eight test that you speak of have about a 33% failure rate with experienced techs and well over 50% for those who take them before they meet the two year work requirement.

posted by  vwhobo

Well I can't say I'm grateful for any sacrifices, but I'm sure pleased with the majority of final outcomes. I'm not too sure how many soldiers could honestly be said to have given their life willingly for King and Country, especially those who were press ganged or conscripted. And it's not like they can change their minds and leave the battle zone if it's all getting a bit much. A lot of Australian diggers went for the adventure in WW1 & WW2 and came back knackered, as I'm sure many did all around the world, especially those dealing with the Japs in S/E Asia.

Doctors, well as you get older you realise how general practitioners are really just an interface between the public and scientists/lab technicians. And specialists aren't necessarily too flash either. So much so it pays to get three opinions if the ailment is serious.

posted by  Wally

You dont know me well enough to call me stupid and incapable. I bet I can do certain things better than you can. Just like you can do certain things better than I can. Everyone has a skill, and for me it happens to be driving, and car-related subjects.

posted by  6000LE

And you're saying you're better than him at those subjects? I don't even know him that well but I do know you well enough to say that I have doubts about that. :2cents:

posted by  hondaman

Did I say that I am a better driver than him? No. I said that I am a skilled driver. Also I said that I am better at some things than he is and vise versa. I may be a better driver than him but I dont know, so therefore I never said it. :thumbs:

posted by  6000LE

I still believe that getting 1 or 2 ASE certifications and doing what he likes to do (even if it's mounting tires at a local 76 station due to his supposed ineptitude), is a much better decision than going to the military becase he doesn't have any other choice.

He's still young, give him another year or two. The reality about to hit him will knock him down like a bullet train, and when he picks himself up, I'm sure he'll be a productive worker. Being a senior in high school, I see this happen frequently.

Interesting. I took a couple short practice ones from my instructor (who has something like 20-25 ASE certs), and they didn't seem that hard. Just a little misleading. Surely even you believe that if he studies hard enough, he'll pass the engine component test?

posted by  Godlaus

To be honest, to me they're not that difficult for the most part. The lowest score I've ever recieved on any of my cert or re-cert tests was a 91%. On the other hand I slept through most of my high school years and time in college and always managed to maintain a 3.7 gpa or better. I don't think I'm that smart, I just take certain things seriously, ASE testing being one of them. That and I'm a notoriously good tester... No fear.

At any rate it's his decision to make, not mine. I always look at it from the standpoint of an employer. From what I see here he wouldn't get in the door. On the other hand, anyone who has honorably completed their service obligation in the military normally has a head start when looking for a job. There are far worse ways to spend the first four years out of school tahn being enlisted.

posted by  vwhobo

Not sure if skilled wold be the word... from your comments about when you started pulling the e-brake and couldn't stop... and you and Nissan Altima talking about you almost hitting cars many times lol.... dunno... :2cents:

posted by  Pythias

Almost hitting cars? What are you talking about? And I pull the e-brake and slide corners with control, not like a buddy of mine named ilya trying to be like me and "drifting" in Nissan Altima's car, flying off of the road, beding his rim, throwing off his tire balance, and causing one of his underlights to fall off and break. I have control over how I drive.

posted by  6000LE

All I know is awhile back I remember you and him talking about something and he was saying how you nearly hit someone's car, as for the E-brake there was a thread where you said you were pullin it alot and was asking about the effects of it and were talking about your tires.

posted by  Pythias

Mhmmm

Here's the thread...http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?p=133205#post133205< br />

And pulling the E-brake and I quote

Any of that refreshen your memory?

posted by  Pythias

I do that on purpose to mess with my friends. Did that ever come to mind?
Just today I stole Nissan_Altima's underlight remote and was playing with it when we were going down the street turning them on and off making them different colors. Or maybe how I jumped out of the bushes, and scared the hell out of my frined Ilya. I just do those kinds of things. :thumbs:

posted by  6000LE

Well that is not how it came across now was it? You said I did it like 50 times today gotta stop before I end up in a tree, not Yeah I did it a ton today it was fun messin with you guys. Infact nowhere in either of those two post did you post anything resembling the fact that you were messing around. In both of them you seemed serious and or wreckless. Remember this is a forum, none can read minds. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

I suppose I should now be more clear so that anyone can understand what I am saying :banghead:

posted by  6000LE

Please do it will clear up many posts before they are posted. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

Your Message