DVD recorders?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  DVD recorders?

Okay, two weeks in a row I've accidentally started taping "E-Ring" at hour 6 on my six hours and some change VHS tape. Meaning I taped like 20 minutes and then the video ended. :banghead: Other things about recording TV shows on VHS frustrate me. To name a few:

Poor quality

Having to change out the tape ('cos I tape stuff throughout the week and finally watch it on the weekend).

Rewind, fast forward, pause, all while trying to find the exact spot for the show I need.

Cleaning the stupid VHS head every once in a while.

I've had this VCR since I was a sophomore in college and it has served me well. However, it's seriously time for an upgrade!

Anyone have a DVD recorder, and was the upgrade truly seamless? Do they have the ones that can do everything you can with a VHS? Has anyone bought one recently, and would you mind sharing how much it cost? I've seen some on eBay for a 100 bucks and some change, but I'm a little gunshy about buying them. Too often, you get these new boxes and they need special signals to record. If a DVD recorder cannot record regular TV shows, whether it's coming in through cable or antenna, at this point I'm just not interested. Also I need to be able to set the programmer and go away just like I can do with my VCR now. I'm just scared that said DVD recorder would cost a ton of money and I cannot afford it :doh:

posted by  JaneiR36

Have you ever thought of a DVR?

posted by  99integra

GRRRRR, I only ever have problems with this forum freezing....

You wouldnt need anything special to use a DVR, just connect it to your TV and away you go.

Anyways, I would definitely recommend Pioneer as your choice, I know several people that use them and love them, and I am actually looking at buying one for my parents for christmas.

Furthermore, I would recommend one that has a built in HDD - which allows you to store tv shows before burning them off to DVD.

And you can watch and burn the shows at the same time, or you can set it to record upto 10 hours of shows and walk away.

The model I'm looking at is the Pioneer DVR-533H-S, which is a DVR with an 80gig HDD. Retails for about 400$ USD though...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4139_237562239 ,00.html

Now, if you're not into the whole HDD thing, especially due to the cost, then you can still go with a regular DVR, Pioneer offers the DVR-233-S, which is just a straight DVR with no HDD. You could probably get that for around 200$...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4139_236514640 ,00.html

Definitely worth spending the extra money to get a quality DVR though...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Or you can pick up the older generation TiVo for real cheap right now too! (like $50) That is another option, but DVR is better, only prob is then you have to have digital cable or sat.

posted by  Voda48

ah cool this is getting somewhere.

So I could either get the ones that burn directly to DVD (more expensive), or I could at least get the ones that store the data digitally, but for a limited amount of hours?

One of the first searches I did also mentioned TiVo. The problem with TiVo I guess is it requires a subscription and I would prefer not to get one. Crikey. Why do "upgrades" have to cost so much more? haha :laughing:

posted by  JaneiR36

It's less expensive to get one that straight burns it to DVD, then to get one that stores it digitally untill you get rid of it.

posted by  dodgerforlife

That actually sounds better. I'll definitely be getting re-writable DVD's because I need something I can burn over and over repeatedly. I hope they don't get worn out too quickly from that?

posted by  JaneiR36

nah, provided you take care of them, any RW disc can reach into the hundreds of uses....

posted by  dodgerforlife

Nice!

posted by  JaneiR36

Please check out this eBay auction. I can have this DVD recorder in my house for $140 (don't worry if the auction is expired, it has buy-it-now options that are listed as you search on):

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOSHIBA-D-R4-MULTI-DRIVE-DVD-RECORDER-PLAYER-SEALED-WTY _W0QQitemZ5827088698QQcategoryZ94916QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any comments on the auction, the DVD, Toshiba in general?

By the way, from what I read, DVD-RAM seems to be the format to go for home re-recording. They say DVD-RW's cannot be read on many players so it's not that great say if I wanted to travel with recorded material or send it to somebody. DVD-RAM however seems quite common and will record and erase over 100,000 times? Wow!! :clap:

posted by  JaneiR36

Well, that seems to be a good price for that model from Toshiba, it's going to save you about 40$ from any other retailer. Toshiba would not be my first choice, but it does rank up there in quality.

And you are right, more players are probably more likely to accept DVD-RAM, but in todays market, a lot more players are accepting DVD-RW unfinalized media as well. But hey, either way, it will record in both formats :thumbs:

posted by  dodgerforlife

This bites. It seems like none of the common DVD media storage types will hold more than 120 minutes at the most? This won't help me record 8 hours of programming without having to change discs around like some kind of maniac. Should also be able to hold 3 hours of programming in one day so I can set it and forget all about it.

posted by  JaneiR36

sadly, not unless everything you own is high end...

posted by  dodgerforlife

I think a good VCR upgrade is in order, then :mrgreen: I could probably get a good one for under 50 bucks.

posted by  JaneiR36

well you could get bell express vu or sumthing like that, if you can get sattelite, they even have rental plans so you only pay for the programming..... and the PVR can hold 30 hours of tv(last time i used one anyway) they may be even bigger but i would say that or digital cable with the hard drive storage is the way to go. unless you really wanna record that episode of all my children and put it on dvd so you can watch it in a year from now? what is it you really wanna record?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Primetime TV shows, mostly (7 - 9 PM Central US time). These usually will not get played again until the summer, if even then. I thought I would be able to upgrade and hold 10 - 12 hours of programming, even, on a digital data storage unit at a time. I probably could. It's just gonna cost a bucket load of money!!

posted by  JaneiR36

Your Message