The Lambo & the Vette...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  The Lambo & the Vette...

Alright I have to give it up to an American muscle car....it was close- but I think it came down to driver ability. I was in the SV and this guy had a nice royal blue 2005 Vette, and the look on the guys face said it all. He had no idea what was almost touching his bumper when he had the pedal pinned to the floor (just after dusk). However it took every horse under the hood to get past him....

All things considered...(and it pains me to say this :doh: )

I have a whole new respect for Vettes....

posted by  DiabloSV

So the 'Vette about had you?

posted by  Pythias

And to think that the vette you raced was probably the base model.

The Diablo is getting outdated, but that doesn't stop it from being an amazing car. It won't be the performance god forever, but it'll always be the best looking european car EVER.

posted by  Godlaus

True, but aren't there some things he could do to it to give it some more power that won't cost thousands? I know it's a Lambo but....

posted by  Pythias

It was surprisingly close...

I know Vettes are fast as hell, and I know my ride isn't slow either...but he got the jump on me...and it took all 600 horses to pass him....

So ....yeah....

(almost sobbing after that... :orglaugh: )

posted by  DiabloSV

You better do something to that, won't be long before a lightly modded 'Vette with a great driver beats you... and I love Corvette's and all.... but I don't ever want to see one beat a Lambo, jsut sorta wrong to me lol. :2cents:

posted by  Pythias

Hmmm.....No hidden powers come to mind, but he can always do something to the car, but the corvette will always have 1.3 more liters than him, and more advanced parts.

The diablo's a supercar, which means it already is tuned for maximum power (as opposed to 80-85% maximum power for regular cars).

And I don't believe there's any performance mod for the diablo installed by a professional that's going to cost less than 4 digits. Am I right, SV?
-----------------------
And if you want to come out the winner in any race, don't participate in it. It makes the other guy look like a fool when he revs his engine at a light, rockets off, and you make a slow left turn to drop your date off.

You'll have the looks of the lambo, and everyone will respect you plenty more.

posted by  Godlaus

Then maybe he should 'charged it someway. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

I would agree with that.

You taking notes, SV? :mrgreen:

posted by  Godlaus

Lol he should be but let's debate, turbocharge or supercharge... I'm thinking turbo because of all the already low end power although I thought I read somewhere it tops out at only around 145... which to me isn't very high... But with a supercharger he would prolly be burning up the tires some depending on when they start the race lol

posted by  Pythias

Thanks Godlaus...and you're right on both things- the car has the look-which should be enough....and if anyone has any ideas on mods that won't break the bank...I'd be interested

posted by  DiabloSV

Well 4 digits won't breka your bank will it.... :ohcrap: ?

posted by  Pythias

I already paid for the car ...isn't that abuse enough? v :laughing:

posted by  DiabloSV

Nope, lol you paid 6 digits for the car, a few grand to make it nearly perfect is definitely worth it :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

.....point taken.

:mrgreen:

Any ideas outside of "charging" it either super or turbo? It has Tubi exhaust, kevlar clutch, etc.- what am I missing that could add some horses..?

posted by  DiabloSV

Don't waste your money on anything small... IF you can even find many small things to do to a supercar... just get some quotes and super or turbo it... :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

I would think that with a V12 ther has to be more options....I can't let Vette's catch me :ticking:

posted by  DiabloSV

Nor Viper's.... and maybe I';m not sure...

posted by  Pythias

If you're over 45,000 miles, you're looking at keeping all of your horses, not adding to them. I've heard stories from mechanics about how high performance engines tend to lose their power because during their miles, they're being driven hard, and the wear takes it's toll.

But, if you decide to go to artificial aspiration, it's going to be a custom job done by you or your local mechanic. I'd go for a sequential twin turbo setup (for some reason, twin Garretts are coming to mind), 2.85 liters and 6 pistons feeding each turbo. I'd aim for dropping the compression ratio to 8.5:1 and running a half bar to avoid an intercooled setup. Diablos don't have much engine bay space, if I remember correctly.
http://www.lamborghiniweb.com/archives/jpegs/luigi15.jpg
Fitting two water to air intercoolers in there would be rather tricky.

In your situation, however, (I hope you have another daily driver), I would get some nice rubber under that V12. Fit some wide slicks on that bugger, and ONLY drive it in perfect weather, or at the track. Flats aren't very tractiony in the rain or snow.

The tires will run you into 4 digits, but you'll be fetching 0-30 times of lower than 1.2/1.1.

Other than that, you're looking at losing weight for cheap performance enhancers.

posted by  Godlaus

Oh yeah, and a disclaimer;

We're just zealous teenagers on the internet. I wouldn't get any upgrades I just suggested simply because I said them and I sound like I know what I'm talking about. The best person to talk this over with would be a trustworthy local mechanic. This is your exotic afterall, so don't trust it's performance to two 17 year-olds on the internet.

We can only point you in the right direction, not do this for you.

posted by  Godlaus

Thanks...and the local dealership here in Atlanta probably has some ideas as well.

My SV has just over 7,500 miles...so it isn't losing much of anything... yet. And you're right- it's a tight fit in the engine compartment...lowering the overall weight is a possibility though.

I just don't want to turn this into a firebreathing 1000HP monster...people like this type of car (for the most part) untouched...and I'm just thinking in terms of eventual resale.

But thanks to you both!

posted by  DiabloSV

No Problem :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

Keep it in the condition it is and the mileage it is, and you'll be set for retirement in 20 years. As will your kids, and their kids, and their kids, and their kids, and their kids.......

I live to serve :mrgreen: .

posted by  Godlaus

Word of advice, if you had a rough time against a C6, dont even try racing a C6 Z06.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Do you have a chip kit yet? Koenig has one for the Diablo that's supposed to add about 30 hp. Of course they have a twin turbo upgrade, but it's pricy. Miura Corse should have some Lambo upgrades, but all they are advertising right now is stuff for the Murci and Gallardo. retier engieering in Germany has som stuff (they raced a Diablo in GT2). But the one I was originally thinking of was Al Burtoni's shop in California:
http://www.lamborghinidiablo.com/V12engineering/index.htm

posted by  ChrisV

And on what interstate (with no traffic) was this on? And at night even. :thumbs:

posted by  theman352001

Thanks guys...and I have looked into Al Burtoni's shop...he is one of the few that actually does quality upgrades and mods for these and older Lambo's.

I think the Vette I ran with was juiced a little sounded very loud, and had some different rims (still Chevy but upgraded appearance)...

How can you tell what model (Vette) it was....other than by it's speed? Any insignias or features..(this way i know not to go up against one :mrgreen: )

LOL!!!

posted by  DiabloSV

bigger wheels, bigger brakes, big hood scoop, pretty much the same differences between the plain C5 and C5 Z06

posted by  jedimario

It was in Wisconsin....right by your house...through your neighborhood...as a schoolbus dropped off....and old ladies tried to cross the street .....j/k :orglaugh:

No seriously though- I appreciate you being so worried about both my and others well-being here in Atlanta, but I wouls like to recommend driving on these roads....until you do it's difficult to explain. (Atlanta highways have been topics of discussion as some of the fastest "big city" highways in the nation)

But...I enjoy driving...I do so in a safe manner...so please let's not lecture on this thread about where and when and with who.....k?

Thanks-

posted by  DiabloSV

gotcha...I'll keep my eyes open..... :thumbs:

posted by  DiabloSV

Greg Armstrong...

SV Twin Turbo. 750 hp.

http://www.fast-autos.net/spotlight/svtt/19.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/spotlight/svtt/20.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

That's what I 'm talking about!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

posted by  DiabloSV

You would have a hard time going past my house at full speed with the pedal down. I live on a curve and we regularly (and literaly) have people on our neighbor's lawn. We have also had a motorcyclist headbutt our neighbor's brick steps. He didn't win.

And I appreciate your mature attitude in this reply.

I have driven through Atlanta a couple of times and I will admit that their roads are nice. Much nicer than ours up here. And contrary to popular belief, I am not against speed. Heck, I am rarely passed unless it is by somebody in a Lambo doing 140. I just think that there is an appropriate place to explore the full extent of your car and that place is not the interstate.

You say you do your driving in a safe manner. I would like to know how you know your being safe when your topping out your car? Have you been to a Lambo drivers ed session that teaches you how to handle the car at speed and how to get the most out of it or are you going to the school of trial and (hoepfully not) error?

Yes, I do want you to be safe but I also want others to be safe. I am reminded of Marty McFly (sp?) in Back to the Future (II - I belive). It shows more maturity to not race during unappropriate times.

Good luck.

posted by  theman352001

I have done some track time in my Porsches/Lotus/Lambo....enough to guarantee my saftey....not by a long shot- so I agree with you there, but yes i have had some experience in driving this and some others in a "high speed" enviornment.....(the real threats-I have to watch for Rolls Royces pulling out in front of me and Mooses!!) :mrgreen:

posted by  DiabloSV

Hey, you never know when a moose might want to head on down to Florida for a little spring break action, only to get cut down in Atlanta by some yahoo in a Lambo sliding under its belly. I know that would ruin my trip real fast.

posted by  theman352001

LMAO!!!!
:orglaugh: :orglaugh:

That would suck.....

posted by  DiabloSV

i dont know if anyone realizes this and correct me if im wrong but the Z06 Vette has 400 hp, the diablo has 600 (again correct me if im wrong). thats pretty sad that it took all 600hp to get by the vette. :2cents:

posted by  glagon1979

Which is why I believe it was a Z06 but I thought the Z06 had 500hp. The base has 400 I believe.

posted by  Pythias

He definately got the jump on me, (and we weren't at a stop, we were turning onto an on ramp- getting onto the highway), and I didn't realize he "hit it" until I saw the back end come out a little and a puff of smoke from the tires- then I hit it...

At that point I was on his bumper- so to say that if i had an open lane I would have probably gone right past him, but had to slow down or I would have hit him (smart me riding 2 ft. off his bumper -D'oh! :doh: ) . Then I went around to pass...he never let up though...
So yeah it was tough to get around him...he had some momentum...

Still a badass ride (Vette) any way you look at it. :thumbs:

posted by  DiabloSV

You know there are impressionables on this forum that may read this and think that was really cool. Perhaps you should consider them.

posted by  theman352001

You have a point there...I forget sometimes.

I should post a WARNING- DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME in front of most of my posts.... :doh:

yes- I am an idiot.

posted by  DiabloSV

I don't mean to keep ragging on you. It's just that there seems to be too much material there.

posted by  theman352001

Your Message