Miami loses - who will play for the national title?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Miami loses - who will play for the national title?

Well, as predicted by myself Miami has lost, today to GA Tech 14-10, thus knocking them from the #3 BCS standing and all hopes of going to the national title game.

So the question is, who will play for the national title? USC is struggling right now with Fresno St. (14-7 FS in the 2nd quarter), and if THEY lose (or dont, and lose next week to UCLA), then do you tihnk it will be Texas vs. Penn State (#2 vs. #4 BCS currently) or Texas vs. LSU (#2 vs. #5 BCS currently). I just dont know how they can decide between LSU and Penn State. Both have 1 loss (a conference loss), but the one major difference is this... Penn State's season is done, it's over, they have no games left and win a share of the Big 10 title with Ohio State (Which BTW - go Bucks! They beat Michigan today). LSU still has 2 games left, one insignificate and one very significant game. In case anyone missed it, LSU beat Ole Miss today 40-7. LSU's next game is against Arkansas, which will be easy victory no doubt. Now the big game after that (After they are crowned SEC West Champs) is the SEC title game against UGA, which honestly I think LSU won't have too much of a problem with UGA, a team who was beat by the same two teams LSU defeated. So, if LSU wins the SEC, who would you have playing Texas for the title game? Penn State or LSU?

posted by  thunderbird1100

penn state vrs texas for the title :) and penn state gonna whoop their ass.

posted by  Stem

Well, the Fresno State USC game was heart-breaker. USC steals ANOTHER game, how many more games can they win like this? I hope UCLA puts them in their place next week.

Um hellooooo you're forgetting a team...the HOKIES!! Everyone forgets the Hokies... They whooped up on Virginia, and will go to the ACC championship game to play FSU(probably) if they beat UNC(and why wouldn't they?) Of course, USC AND Texes would have to lose for them to have any hope of going to the title game. This is why I don't like college football, the Hokies lose a game near the end of the season to a top 10, maybe top 5, team, and they're out of the running for the title. Penn State loses in the middle of the season to a top 20(probably worse) team and they're in the run for the title. If you lose early you're fine(if enough other teams lose), no matter who you lose to.

posted by  jedimario

VT doesn't stand a chance in hell of making it. Texas is already in it, there's no doubt in anyones mind. They have ZERO hard games left. Tomorrow when BCS rankings are released it will be...

#1 USC
#2 Texas
#3 Penn State
#4 LSU
#5 VT

USC still has one difficult game left, and IF they lose (which if they dont, it WILL be USC/Texas for the title game) it will either be Penn State to play them (who's season is over) or LSU (who is RIGHT behind Penn State in BCS points, but has 2 games left, one easy regular season season game and one semi-hard game against UGA for the SEC title).

USC has the best chance of playing against Texas, Penn State has a semi-good chance, LSU has the worst chance (only way they can is hope to jump Penn State in the BCS) and VT has no chance. For VT to go to the national title USC, Texas AND LSU would have to lose one of their next games. Which, just isn't going to happen. Plus, I dont think anyone wants to see VT go as they are the only 1 loss team in the top 5 in the BCS who got blown out (by Miami, 27-7). LSU's 1 loss came from a 30-27 Overtime loss after they were up 21-0 at one point in time to #3 ranked Tennessee and Penn State's 1 loss came from a 27-25 defeat by Michigan AT Michigan (quite possibly THE hardest place to play in the nation).

F&^% Yea, it was a great game.

posted by  importluva

i liked the fresno, usc game, god every 10 min the other team was up lmao. yah bro the hokies are my fav team too but they're outa the running. i think its either penn state or usc for the title, and i hope that penn state takes it all, since my cousin plays for them.

posted by  Stem

I'm just tryin to say, you can't bring up Penn and LSU w/o VT. Miami is definately the best team a top 5 has played all season, except for maybe Ohio State.

posted by  jedimario

If you go by rankings, Tennessee was the highest at the time of play. Thing is, I think you should also break this down by conference. The Big 10 definatley being the best, with the SEC a close second and the ACC coming up a pretty distant third. I still think Miami is pretty overrated. Just my opinion though. There's no doubt Ohio State is an excellent team.

I was htinkin more about what they're currently ranked, TN is obviously not good enough to be top 10 even, and they wouldn't go bad that much that quick

posted by  jedimario

Yeah Tenn. definatley had an awful year, they wont even be attending a bowl game this year! Ouch! That has to be a first for them in decades.

If you had watched the LSU/Tenn game you could clearly see who the better team was (LSU). I mean, you aren't a bad team if you go into half-time winnign 21-0. Just, in the second half LSU didnt come out to play...nothing was there and the players got too cocky (this is all what THE PLAYERS told me). When UT plays LSU it never ends in a blowout and the LSU players thought it was going to be at half, so they winged it in the 2nd half and got beat in OT. Just one of those games...but still, not nearly as bad as VT got whipped, they just got throughly beaten down. Miami was clearly the better team, at least that day. As far as the top 5 BCS standings go, I agree with them for the most part, definatley 1-4. IMO I would put Ohio State at #5 and VT at #6 with Oregon at #7. I think OSU is just a better team than VT is and in their TWO losses COMBINED they lost by less than HALF the margin did than VT did in the one game against Miami. Plus, the two teams OSU got beat by are undefeated #2 Texas (25-22) and one loss #3 co-Big 10 champion Penn State (17-10)

Well if LSU can have a bad half, VT can have a bad game. And if a team can have a bad game, it can have a good one(Miami). You're almost using the same excuse as I am to defend your team's loss, I just haven't said it till now.

posted by  jedimario

You missed the point, no one has a doubt in their mind LSU is a better team than UT. EVERYONE has a doubt in their mind VT is as good as they WERE made out to be as they were completely blown out by Miami. LSU clearly showed they were a better team than every opponent they have played thus far. VT showed they are not a better team than Miami (That wasn't a bad day, that was VT getting exposed by a fairly good team; it was just like undefeated Texas Tech getting exposed by Texas). So why should VT get ahead of a team like LSU, which after the Miami game, I think 90% of people can conclude LSU is a better team (not to mention LSU's schedule was/is much harder than VT's, SEC vs. ACC). This is why LSU is #3 in all the polls except BCS (#4) and VT is #5 in ALL the polls. And now on espn they are saying that if LSU does really well in the SEC title game against UGA they should jump Penn State in the BCS (but no one surely knows). I'm using no excuse, just showing why LSU is a better team/is ranked higher than VT.

It was more than VT being exposed to a good team, they've played plenty of good teams. Maybe not great teams teams, but good ones. GT(51-7), NC State somewhat(20-14), BC(30-10), MD(28-9), all of which they blew out except for NC State. It was an exceptionally bad day for VT and an exceptionally good one for Miaimi.

posted by  jedimario

See out of all those teams VT beat, they cant compare to the harder SEC schools LSU beat. None of those schools are stand out teams...NC State is horrible this year (last place in the ACC Atlantic), BC is subpar even though they are second in the ACC Atlantic they have lost against really not so good teams like UNC while also losing to FSU and VT, and while GT has pulled off some great upsets (Miami) they have also had some disappointed defeats against NC State, Virginia and VT; and as for Maryland, well they are about as good as NC State, but we'll find out who's better between the two thisweekend. GT still has a very tough game left, one which they can never win: UGA. Although this year GT can beat the good teams and lose to the bad ones it seems. Some teams like Auburn and Alabama, VT wishes they could beat (like LSU did) but after the blowout by Miami, I dont think they would stand a chance in hell.

You don't think VT could beat Auburn? Last year in the Sugar Bowl, VT lost to Auburn 13-16. Now, Auburn doesn't have Carnell Williams and VT has Vick. VT would lick Auburn.

posted by  jedimario

Marcus Vick hasn't been an X factor like his big brother is, he's as good as any other decent QB. Jamarcus Russell is a better QB than Marcus Vick is this year. And he's only a Sophmore, oh more good years for LSU to come. Can't beat a 6'6 252lb QB who's best plays comes from being flushed out of the pocket missing 1-2 sacks then throwing for a 30 yard gain. In my book, a manueverable 252lb QB is the most wanted.

Auburn wasn't as good last year as people say they are THIS year. THIS year they took the best SEC team (period) into OT (LSU), they beat 1-loss Alabama, they beat the best SEC East team (1-loss UGA), they are very good indeed. Caddillac Williams was a lot of talk in my book, Kenny Irons is one hell of a runningback, just as good as the Caddy. I doubt VT would have a chance in beating Auburn...

Your Message