blown radio fuse

Home  \  Off Topic  \  blown radio fuse

yesterday i was camping out at best best buy to buy the x box 360 lol and selll it and i plugged in this thing into my power thing ( where the cigarette lighter is) and my radio was on. The radio shot off and i cant turn it on again. I think that means that's a blown fuse. I heard though that if the radio fuse if burned out then prolly most of the wires are toasted. So someone said i should just buy a new radio/CD changer. Anyway i wanted to get a new one so now i guess i have an excuse to do so. First off i wanna know if i should try replacing a fuse or not. Also can u guy suggest some radios/cd changers. Try not to go too high in price. Post name and price.

ohh yeah and also my power locks dont work. could that be a blown fuse also?

posted by  V-Tec

1) Nice going.

2) It could mean a blown fuse, it could.

3) Wow, so much for a fuse with that logic.

4) Do you want a new radio or do you want to replace the fuse? Make up your own mind.

5) Not to be rude, but find your own damn radio. There are websites for stores that list all that information, and this isn't it.

posted by  67Coronet383

well if it's possible i just wanna replace the fuse

posted by  V-Tec

Ok...go ahead.

posted by  67Coronet383

If it's just a blown radio fuse or accessory fuse it'll cost 50 cents to replace and is very simple to replace. First check the Accessory fuse under the fuse box under the hood. If that's okay then check the back of your radio's fuse (just use pliers to get the fuse out to check it). If it's blown check the amp rating on the fuse (should be 10a or 15a...my aftermarket deck is 20a, but has a powerful amp). If it is blown go to a car audiko shop and they will have the exact fuse you need to replace it. If it turns out a fuse isn't blown and you dont want to farther resolve the issue then here are some $150-$200 suggestions.

Panasonic CQ-C8301U - $178
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3820

JVC KD-LH910 - $195
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3605

Clarion DXZ655MP - $199
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2893

Alpine CDA-9851 - $215 (I know more than $200, but the 985x series is much better than the 984x series)
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2826

Pioneer Premier 770MP - $???, ikesound usually has them but they seem to not have right now, they usually have this unit for ~$200
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14534< br /> That place has it for $239, but i know it can be found for cheaper.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Now that's great logic :banghead:

People ask questions on here to get answered, and if it's about a car, it should be able to get answered by someone other than someone saying "go ask a salesman or look up that crap in other places".

Maybe he would like the opinion of what people have had good and bad luck with , with new head units.

thanks man um do u know anything about the power locks...anyway i got the x box core for 300 at best buy and as i walked out i sold it for 700 lol. I was gonna get the premium but they were sold out cause i waited from like 9pm and like the tickets to get the premium were like out at 8:30

PS: for anyone who cares i installed the tailights and the type R spoiler i will post pics as soon as my friend sends me the pics

posted by  V-Tec

I could tell you about power locks... what do you need to know?

Also, you're gonna need a new fuse anyway ... a new radio won't work with the busted one (unless it was inline and is being scrapped with the old cable), so why not try to replace it anyway ... your wires shouldn't be cooked if you had the right fuse size in there.

posted by  windsonian

umm i checked the owners manual and it says 20a fuse for power door locks and 15a for stereo. I will buy the fuses tommorow and replace them and hopefully that will solve the problem.

posted by  V-Tec

type - r spoiler.... that was a joke right?

posted by  Stem

If it's a blown accessory fuse (in the fuse box), then yes, it wont work unless replaced. But if it's just the HU's fuse, all new Head Units come pre-attached with a new fuse.

.... hence why I said "unless it was inline ..." :wink2:

posted by  windsonian

??? why is that a joke

posted by  V-Tec

Sorry V-Tec, I'm going to have to pick on you. I'm bored.

Nothing better to do... did something stupid to his car... ricer friends...V-Tec screen name and...

Uh oh. :laughing:

posted by  67Coronet383

If you plugged something into your cigarette lighter, it did not short out the fuse on the radio itself. Its an accessory fuse. It will be found in the Fuse Block which is under the driveside dash, or sometimes on the ride side of the center console. And if he blew the fuse to the radio guys, it wouldnt have shorted out all the wires. Hence the reason of the fuse being their. Generated to much voltage and it blew the fuse before it could blow the cd player, fry wires, etc...

Look in the owners manual. Find the accessory fuse, the where it shows the fuse that powers the Cigarette Lighter, CD player, etc.. and replace it. I gaurantee it will fix the problem.

In the mean time, dont use your cigarette lighter until you can figure out why it shorted out the fuse. Could be an exposed wire, two wires touching somewhere, etc. Check out the wiring behind the cigarette lighter if possible.

posted by  onebadkustom

Not true.

I was going to tell you not to promise anyone that'll fix the trouble... then I realized you didn't, because you spelled it wrong.

If he plugged something in and... poof...well, that's pretty self-explanitory. Possible story but so unlikely I'm going to say BULLSHIT.

posted by  67Coronet383

Originally Posted by onebadkustom
If you plugged something into your cigarette lighter, it did not short out the fuse on the radio itself. Its an accessory fuse. It will be found in the Fuse Block which is under the driveside dash, or sometimes on the ride side of the center console. And if he blew the fuse to the radio guys, it wouldnt have shorted out all the wires. Hence the reason of the fuse being their.

Okay, their is one way this wont be true. Is if the inline fuse is stronger than what is on the radio. So the voltage passes the inline fuse, but blows the radio fuse. But think about it... if he is having more than 1 problem besides the radio.. (chances are, it is not the fuse on the radio, because that has nothing to do with the door locks, or what ever else might no be working).

Trust me, I know what im talking about when it comes to wiring.

So V-Tec.. check your fused in the fuse block for the accessories. Radio, cigarette lighter, etc. And if the door locks and the radio are two different fuses and they are both blown. You may definitely want to get that wiring checked out coming from behind the cigarette lighter.

Best of luck. Later!

posted by  onebadkustom

lets see i was trying to make some money...i didn't do anything to my car purposely...ricer freinds???wtf have u met any of my friends?... so what if i have V tec screename?
anyway here is a pic of the back of my car. I have no clue why it's so blurry probably cause my friend was like moving the camera when he took the pic
http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/2224/sergey27jd.th.jpg (http://img349.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sergey27jd.jpg)

posted by  V-Tec

anyway i am gonna go buy the fuses now

posted by  V-Tec

I'm not so sure that you do .... you just guaranteed that a fix will solve this guys problem. It may, it may not, but I don't think you can guarantee.

And, the chances are there's separate fuses for door locks and the radio in the fuse panel anyway. ... notice where he gave 2 separate amperage ratings?

posted by  windsonian

That is true, and I had a buddy read what I posted too and mentioned I shouldnt have gauranteed it. I can't gaurantee that it will fix it because A)I dont know if anyone has messed around with the wiring before. B)I dont know the exact model of the car. C)I'm not there to fix it.

Yes, he gave the 2 different amps on the fuses meaning there was 2 fuses. But it still does not generate on how the 2 would blow just from the Cigarette Lighter. There must be some kind of wiring problem with the cigarette lighter. (and dont say.. well thats obvious) because it could have been just a fluke that (1) fuse would have blown.. but (2). Not likely.

So after you check those fuses man, get back to us on them. Oh... and you said their was 2 different fuses, but did u even check the fuses yet to see if they were blown?

posted by  onebadkustom

Now you've got me curious as to...

OK - What did you plug in?

posted by  67Coronet383

ok i changed the two fuses and luckily it all works now. Thanks to all who responded... I took some pics of my car that arent as blurry as that last one so i will post those tommorow

posted by  V-Tec

OK, awesome. But seriously, what the heck did you plug in?

posted by  67Coronet383

umm i am not sure but it was like this thing so we could plug the tv into it... so maybe some kind of converter... i dunno

posted by  V-Tec

inverter probably --> 12 VDC in - xxx VAC out

posted by  windsonian

Your Message