Computers

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Computers

OK since many people have been asking me about Need for Speed Most Wanted and other computer related issues I will do this. Any questions email to me at russianalex@gmail.com. Me and my friend will take the time and help answer anytihng that we can help you with. If you need games, we will send links to the apropriate programs and torrents where to get them and will make instructions to the best of our ability. Thanks for looking. :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

I'm interested in upgrading my 28.8 kilobaud Internet connection to a 1.5 megabit fiber optic T1 line. Will you be able to provide an IP router that's compatible with my token ring Ethernet LAN configuration?

posted by  windsonian

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy from Australia, than have it shipped from the US?

It actually worked, got my NFSMW to work :smoke:

posted by  chris_knows

Can I have some money now? :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

Its a joke from the simpsons...read what I wrote :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

What just happened? :doh:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Simpsons joke.

posted by  newyorker

Future computer questions can be directed as a private message to 95civicdima. He'll answer all them, my guarentee. Stick to Need for Speed Alex. :laughing:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Thats exactly why it took him and his friend dan a bit over 3 weeks to figure out that my laptop is "unfixable" and say that i dropped it, when in fact all it needs is new software and a new HDD....yea hes scary good. :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

He also builds computers. But that's a just a minor detail... :laughing:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Good thing im buying DELL direct...does he make them for best buy?

posted by  newyorker

What happened to postwhoring to 200?

posted by  newyorker

That's a negative. It wasn't actually 3 weeks, and even then there was no time. Some of us actually go to school, Alex. :laughing: Also, it probably needs some serious word. I doubt all it needs is software and a harddrive.

But it did take like 3 weeks for you to crash it. Now, care to tell me the difference between AMD and Intel? :laughing:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Nope, he buys parts for cheap, and builds it himself. Look at his computer as proof. As far as making them for best buy...he's 16. Give him 5-8 years or so.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

I'm almost there! This whole thread is pointless though, and I'm not helping.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

AMD and Intel are 2 different processors. Intel is a Pentium processor, while AMD is not. Il look into it more. When Intel has Pentium D, HT, Celeron, etc.
AMD has Sempron, 64k and the likes.

posted by  newyorker

Now, just because you know how to install a game or download software illegally does not make you a computer expert. Neither does building one computer or repairing a handful...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Also Newyorker, you may wanna shrink your sig just a little bit before other members flame ya :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

A) Your sig is WAY TO ****ING BIG.

B) It's two completely different companies, and both produce completely seperate CORES.

posted by  dodgerforlife

I wish the other forums I go to were this laid back. :roll:

posted by  ilove///amg

errr.... to late.. :doh:

posted by  dodgerforlife

I dindt say anywhere I was an expert. I didnt even take all of the credit for the work I do. I siad me and my friend Alex will do our best to answer any questions.

posted by  newyorker

I cant figure out how to make it smaller

posted by  newyorker

Well now I know that, but i was gona look into it myself.

posted by  newyorker

Mike's lighter side..is this what you do when you get bored? Or just rice your moms whip? LMAO you know im messing with you...guaranteed a nasty retaliation by Nissan_Altima within 48 hours

posted by  newyorker

Answer any question pertaining to installing software, like its so hard - my favorite acronym for that is RTFM. Or for hardware issues...those are soooo fun....and actually not that hard to diagnose or repair. A) Uninstall and reinstall drivers(newest version of course) B) If that fails, try a replacement piece. C) If that fails, your OS needs to be reinstalled. D) If that fails, then your mobo or HDD is pooched(really depends on inital problem).

Oh so hard.

posted by  dodgerforlife

You were just waiting for me to emabarras myself werent you.. :ticking:

posted by  newyorker

Utilize one of your illegally obtained image editing programs, and edit the image size.

posted by  dodgerforlife

I didnt say "pertaining software" so stop looking for ways to make me look like a fool :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

Nah, I'm off to sleep. I'll make comments about how you totalled a car, hit another one, etc sometime tomorrow or Tuesday. :laughing:

Good night everyone.

:thumbs:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Just use 'Paint', it'll work.

posted by  car_crazy89

Il do that tomorrow..actually we are getting the pic rendered by a frined of ours. hes good..well post the before and after once it gets done.

posted by  newyorker

I guess you can get Need for Speed Most Wanted for $50 then lol..see you tuesday

posted by  newyorker

Well, maybe not quite in that wording, but it was inferred by your initial post...

Maybe you want to be a little bit more precise next time you open your mouth?

posted by  dodgerforlife

Im off to sleep. Goodbye to all for now. :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

hell of a lot harder then using Photoshop CS though...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Thought since my name was brought into this i'd have at least a say in this. Well i don't claim to be an expert. The reason why i used dodger's quote is to just simply agree. I agree with you 100%. Theres a lot more than being able to name every single part of a motherboard. It's more than knowing compatibilities. It's able to know how the computer is going to work after it's all in. That's the hard part. Trust me when i say this it's really a great site to see the bios boot up fine not asking for a fbd. Also it's a nightmare having to root through networks and having to learn stupid protocal's that mean nothing at all but must be known to help start-up a dead windows 95 **** YOU /Start-up. And why has no ONE said that AMD is athlon for processors. Also they are made of different sizes. ALSO they are made with different roots...for example clocking wise. They both clock differently

posted by  95civicdima

Notihng to be more precise about. You even highlighted the phrase that shows youre just trying to make me look stupid with no backing to it. BTW newyorker and not 6000LE posted it so :fu: :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

He's right this time Dodger ... you might want to be a bit more precise with your reading comprehension next time.

posted by  windsonian

I didnt say I was an expert. All I said was that me and my friend will take the time to help people. Simply doing people a favor, I still get picked at for it. I guess I should just stop helping people. And yes I know what you mean. Its not all about knowing what to press, and thats why when I was asked about AMD and Intel, I siad I would look into it more myself.

posted by  newyorker

:clap: Finally someone takes my side..or maybe I just took the extra time to make my phrases comprehend. :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

I won't even touch that crap about Win 95....sad POS O/S I won't touch unless necessary, I can't believe you still need to deal with it...

And nobody has said that AMD is Athlon, because AMD IS the company name. American Micro Devices. Not Athlon Micro Devices. Athlon is simply one of the cores built by AMD. And what in the hell are you blabbering on about them being built using different roots? Last time I checked, it was called a CORE. Essentially, both of them "clock" the same. It's how the cores compute it that differs.

posted by  dodgerforlife

So "software installation" can not fall under computer queries? What the hell is this world coming to?!

posted by  dodgerforlife

Nothing to do with "knowing what to press" it's about seeing results...good interpretations...not. You wouldn't understand seeing results...you'd rather make some bs story up.

posted by  95civicdima

And you shoot yourself in the foot with a statement like that....

Please tell me you either mean "Comprehendable" or that "he" took the extra time to comprehend your phrases.

posted by  dodgerforlife

No, he made a broad statement, and qualified it. It doesn't have to be "precise" in the way you want it to be. Nothing he's said so far is wrong. He offered to help where he could with computer issues. He never said he was an expert, and he never said he could solve your software issues.

posted by  windsonian

That made no sense and I still think that you are way to hype about this whole thing. So I made up some shit and led a long argument about it. You took it way too seriously. Ask mike what happened with him and Ilya and what happened in the end. You just took offense to sometihng that didnt affect you directly in any way possible, and then to make it worse you acted like a complete dick to me saying you wouldnt give me back my computer just to retaliate and get back in my face for lying to you. :screwy:

posted by  newyorker

So I went into a specific topic, is that a crime? Hmmm, nope, sorry, it isn't. I was merely inferring that if someone needs help with software installation, then they are the ones that need help, mentally speaking, because software installation is bloody straightforward.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Yes and no. Roots?cores w/e it all comes down to the actual processors being utilized differently. Last time i checked an Intel clocks DEFINETLY different. Look at any e-machine made with an intel and then with an amd. What i ment about Athlon was he was listing all the things they made but left out athlon for AMD i thought that was just mean to them. The 95 thing...thankfully we decided to just ****ing forget it and booted up a red-hat linux.

posted by  95civicdima

Not with torrents. The disks are coded, and you need a program to run them. My frined found the whole most wanted thing and showed me, i take no credit for "inventing" the method and neither does he but I am simply offering mine and his help to the best of our extent to the people that need it. However I will agree that 95civicdima knows a lot more than I do, but he is just overreacting to my BS and thats why im taking offense to him and dont want to give him credit where credit is due, but hey i just did.

posted by  newyorker

Fool don't even start. Not the first time you ****ing lied. You lie out of your ass ALL THE DAMN TIME! I was more pissed that you had the nerve to ****ing command my gf. Fool you then went and became a little pansy and starting crying about how you were going to get your dad to my place. You are a waiste of ****ing sperm... You are a lieing ingrate!

posted by  95civicdima

e-machine, ehehehee - those are trash, just like Dell...

And tell me exactly what you mean by "clocks" different....because I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say there....

For the life of me, I would not buy a boxed computer again. Unless it is a laptop, in which case you can not buy the parts necessary to completely build one from the ground up.

I see what your saying about AMD now, I misunderstood what you were trying to say, eh, shit happens.

Any distro of Linux will own 95.... thank god you chose that route.

posted by  dodgerforlife

I commanded her? She asked me if she could give you a message i dont know what BS she is telling you. And about my dad, I didnt want to waste my time with an ass like you because I got better things to do with my time. You just blew up a situation that even mike handled. And he gets really pissy over the smallest of things, but you as a "mature" person cant handle it.

posted by  newyorker

So he didn't go into a specific topic, is that a crime? Hmmm, nope, sorry, it isn't. You were merely inferring that you think you know everything and no-one would ever need the help that NY was offering. I bet I could tell you about some stuff that I find super easy that you'd have no clue about. The whole point is that different people have different skills. NY offered to help out in an area where he feels he (and his friend) have more knowledge than some other people. Who the F*** are you to suggest that no-one in the world (other than those who have mental problems) will have issues with software install? Pull your head in. Just because you know something well, it doesn't mean everyone does. Similarly, just because I know something well, it doesn't mean you do.

posted by  windsonian

See man it comes down to the fact that you just agreed with me it's all good right? Clocking- the result of voltage and hertz..your processor speed. AMD and INTEL have different ways of distributions. That's why ACER makes two different motherboard for each. E-Machine and DELL it comes down to if you wanna buy a computer from some place i'd pick E-Machine and i've worked with them more than DELL's. My experience with DELLS isn't that good. Something made cheap sold high. Laptops...i disagree i've built them from ground up
you basically buy the processor casing and motherboard as one set. Then buy wifi card video card harddrive... and whatever else you want. Just getting the sizing down to the casing and the motherboard/processor. (personally i hate buying them seperate) Also the clocking relates to overclocking how people perfer AMD because they are simple to overclock(Increase processor speed by increaseing the bus with other distributions)

posted by  95civicdima

And what boggles me even more is the fact that after you got mad at me she got mad at me too. So basically she does everything that you do? Because the months before she seemed to like me just fine and untill you blew shit up, she wasnt all "tell him to get me off his myspace"

posted by  newyorker

Whoa whoa whoa, I am in no way saying or even remotely inferring that I know everything referring to computers. I am just trying to get across the point that just because he figured out how to illegally download software does not qualify him to help others practice that as well. In fact, that is a legal matter, and it should actually be forwarded to authorities. Not only has he publicly admitted to doing that, but he has also publicly offered to help others download pirated software.

And yes, I am sure there are things that you know that I have no clue about, but in the same token, there is probably things that I know, that you do not. I will grant you that, no problem.

And I'm sorry if I came across as saying that all people who have problems installing software are mentally handicapped. I do not actually mean that, but some software is very straightforward in regards to installation, and if someone is having problems with that, then...well, I just don't know what to say.

And just out of curiosity, who the **** are you to suggest that I have an ego that large?

posted by  dodgerforlife

All this flaming...WHY WHY WHY :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

Heh, every company produces Mobos for each processor...Asus, Gigabyte, ECS, MSI, Tyan....

Any of those box computers are shat to work with I find....too much crammed in to too small of a case, especially sucks if you have larger hands...

Yeah, but to correctly match the hardware, and to fit it into the casing, is a task and a headache not worth the maybe a hundred bucks you'll save...

posted by  dodgerforlife

I am well aware that there are things that I don't know too, which is why I don't say that people have mental problems because they don't know something. Of course some software is very straightforward. So that software won't require the help being offered here. However some software is not straightforward, and thus someone may want to ask for help.

The issue you raised initially was technical difficulty and NY's prowess in software installation, not an ethical issue of software piracy. And by the way, I believe he was talking about downloading the PC DEMO version of NFS, so perhaps it was a legal shareware copy. I don't know either way, so I'm not going to condemn him or "report it to the authorities".

... and who am I? I'm just defending a guy who you tried to nit-pick by throwing some random facts about computer parts. I've had my issues with NY in the past too, but I try to take everything on a case by case basis, and in this instance, I think he's been attacked for no real reason. He offered help. If you are too advanced to need his help, then why bother telling him that you don't need his help? Why not just let him help those with less knowledge than him? That's why you came across as having a big ego.

posted by  windsonian

Wow DELL sucks balls, and by the way great summary on Intel and AMD.... :banghead: Wow what is the point of this thread besides a nice way for you to post 4 times in a row :thumbs: Congrats man, you actualy got me to read this thread, and then realise that if I want computer help I will look to someone besides yourself.

posted by  Voda48

So stick your head back in your ass and do that :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

Sure thing n00b, at least my colon would give me better advice than some people

posted by  Voda48

Ouch, this is getting ugly.

posted by  speeder

And the fact that you arent askin me is good cause i dont help assholes. Plus how do you come into a thread 60 posts later and start shit is even more interesting.

posted by  newyorker

Very easy, the thread started yesterday @ 9:37 at night and you post-whored it to ~60. Wow that was a hard question there too...

posted by  Voda48

Clearly everyone got more posts here than I did. I just replied to posts people made. And you are making me un-neccesarily post-whore my way through this. Thanks! :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

it's my sex box, and her name is sony!

and she has a virus. i've tried "Doucher 2006" several times but i just keep getting the same funkin up. got any ideas oh mighty computer wwwwizzardd!?

posted by  enron fever

Why do I not take you seriously at all? :screwy:

posted by  newyorker

because your a douche?

posted by  enron fever

My history with computers dates back to the early seventies, I have qualifications in electronics, trained on PDP11s, designed microcontrollers, written software, built pc boxes, etc. I even know a whole lot of TLAs and FLAs (three letter acronyms and four.....). But I am not silly enough to suggest I have never had problems with hardware and software.

If NewYorker offers to help let him. If he doesn't know the answer he should just say so, simple. For some reason there are a load of people out there that think they have a monopoly on computer knowledge, but don't realise that hardly anyone cares. It's not like 30 years ago when the public got their first taste of the stuff and were fascinated.

Nope, the only expert I have time for is someone who actually understands modems. Those things have been a pain in the arse since day one, fortunately they are mainly used for internet access these days, but even the damned optic coupler models for wans still give me jip with their fecken latency differences and lack of legacy trail. If you haven't noticed I hate modems..... bring back the Hayes set I say..

posted by  Wally

A great response. :thumbs:. Remind me to take that seriously as well. Maybe I cant help you with computers, but noone can help you get a life. :2cents:

posted by  newyorker

I had to do a minor repair on the hardrive (something even I could do) :laughing: , and omg, the inside of a computer is, WOW.

posted by  ilove///amg

The thing about computers that i personally love is they really do relate to cars in a lot of ways. I was talking to someone about this the other day and there is such a similiarity in them. Like cars and computer need certain things that are absolutely needed for function. Processors-Engines bios-Transmission Hardrive- Oil/gas/etc. so on and so on..think about it we can almost compare them indefinetly to each other.

posted by  95civicdima

and what minor repair are you talking about exactly?..

posted by  dodgerforlife

riiiiight :laughing:

actually it's not that scary. i work at a pc customization/repair store, and as long as you know what plugs into where, the hardware setup is extremely simple.

software is where it gets tricky.

posted by  enron fever

IMO software is the easiest thing.... hardware is a bitch to troubleshoot if somethings gone wrong(especially if its a mobo/ram problem...those are the longest things to have to troubleshoot)

posted by  dodgerforlife

well i cant claim to be a computer nerd but i do tinker, what exactly do you need to know or do with your modem, im usually pretty handy at digging for info, Dad has been a radio tech for the last 25 years. fire away and i'll see if i can help

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

I'm currently in the middle of designing (from 1st principles) a 24-bit parallel-serial-parallel interface for, of all things, a cricket scoreboard. When I was looking at ways to achieve the desired result (ie get 6x 4 bit data strings from point A-B with minimum copper) I toyed with the idea of modems, mux-demux, microcontrollers etc.... There's some pretty complex stuff out there to do fairly simple jobs. The only real issue that made me look at that kind of stuff was the need for synchronisation at both ends. In the end I took the wuss route and am going to transmit my clock (ie shared both ends). Hopefully this won't have noise issues over 10m or so.

posted by  windsonian

I'm with dodger on this. That's how i make money on the side. I troubleshoot hardware and problems like that. Order new parts for replacements and upgrades. Also i do custom jobs. They tell me a budget what they want it to do and i bring up a list. Order it. After the order they can pay me for putting it together. It's easier said than done trust me. Software troubleshooting can always be fixed. If a computer crashes or some shit you can always system restore or go back a few days and if you know what the person did to screw up an o.s well it's even easier. Now going through something like MsConfig's and shit like that... very risky business. My best advice when you are troubleshooting... ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS! we have car forums there are PLENTY of computer forums for troubleshooting. A lot of the same problems you have thousands of people go through it.

posted by  95civicdima

From what I hear hooking up a motherboar is a pain because you can burn it. How does that work anyway? I wanted to upgrade and a friend told me not to because he said that if I get a new motherboard and dont connect it right, its gona burn. He said to just upgrade the CPU, but I am just going to get a whole new computer. Anyhow, how does the motherboard hookup work?

posted by  newyorker

It's just a general complaint. For a while Hayes compliance was loosely adhered to for a standard, but even then manufacturers couldn't help themselves by making an instruction code behave differently. So you would have a microcomputer/controller that was looking for certain hookup strings based on a Hayes Optima 9600 only to find out the Hayes compatible modem you bought isn't the same.

Windsonian, a very wise move. Get it running in agricultural mode, then look at getting clever if required.

posted by  Wally

Like 2 weeks ago, I had to replace the battery on my iPod Mini, and the taking the iPod out of the aluminum casing part was easy, then replacing the battery was also easy...took me like 10-15 minutes, but putting it back in was terrible...it wouldn't fit, and took me half an hour to adjust it to the exact position to get it in...and now the top won't stay as far down as it should, so to press the 'hold' button, I have to press down on the top a good bit...but at least it lasts for over 10 mins :smoke:

posted by  chris_knows

Once it's running, it'd take a pretty good reason to make me change it! It is just a hobby job after all, not commercial or anything.

I have a guy here at work giving me a hand on it, he was doing a somewhat similar project, but his actually involved PC interfacing, so he had to get his timing right, then interpret and process RS232 strings. The difficulty with this is that they use +ve and -ve signal voltages. I can just use good ol' 1's and 0's with +ve and ground.

The scorer at cricket did tickle my interest when he said he wanted me to interpret his html file and use that to drive the scoreboard (he scores on a pda). That might be one I leave in the bank for another day methinks.

posted by  windsonian

Your Message