Backyard BBQ

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Backyard BBQ

well, i convinced my g/f's father to build a bbq out of bricks and mortar in their backyard with me.

im pretty excited since i havent had any "father-son" spending time in so many years with anyone. not to mention, i have never worked with bricks like this so im excited to work with something new.

i have looked around for info on the stuff i need to keep a mind out for, and designs for good structure and stuff. so i got all the basics down.

thing is, im trying to gather ideas so the whole plan comes out just fine. we plan on making an area for good old grilling (probably a medium sized grilling area), a small storage box made out of bricks too, maybe another area to cook things on wat we call "a la barilla" (that metal tube that u stick chickens onto) which will be operated by a small motor with a chain, and make things easily removeable for easy cleaning and such.

i know i can improve on these ideas a great deal. in fact, i already have something in mind.... just hard to put into words. but i would greatly appreciate any extra suggestions and tips on this!

EDIT:
almost forgot. i did have a few questions. being a complete city boy i have never actually done a BBQ myself. i have killed chickens but i never saw how my godfather cooked them over flames. so, while researching i found some terms which i honestly dont know exactly what they mean..... cuz i didnt pay attention to Al Roker in the food network.... cuz i hate him.... cuz he's boring.

so, wtf is an "open firepit"? wat's its purpose?

wat's a smoker for?

should i really get bellows for the heck of it?

can i drill into bricks (not giant holes ofc) for things such as hinges or small metal supports (1 inch by 2 inches perhaps) without affecting the structural rigidity?

posted by  Inygknok

How bout stickin a smoker in there, they make everything taste UNBELIEVABLE
http://www.dimayabe.de/erster%20braten%20007.jpg

posted by  99integra

guess u replied while i was editing. check my questions on the edit.

posted by  Inygknok

A smoker is basically a grill but uses fire wood to cook foods, tastes better than charcoal

posted by  99integra

An open fire pit is well.....an open fire pit to cook foods like at a campfire :laughing:

posted by  99integra

sounds simple enough..... probably the same concept other than the object being burned. does it need different specifications to work than when working with charcoal or is it just throwing in wood instead of charcoal?

posted by  Inygknok

Basically just throwin wood in, tastes uber rightious afterwards :2cents:

posted by  99integra

Sounds like a good idea...am I invinted :wink2: :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

sure, $50 entry fee please :smoke:

posted by  Inygknok

Alright, but it better be a damn good bbq :laughing: :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

I've learned everything I know from the Simpsons. From what I've learned about making your own BBQ pit, if you screw it up it'll end up as art and your wife will get mad at you because she's been trying her whole life to become an artist and you accidentally became one overnight.

posted by  giant016

You wanna go something like this.

The middle pic is the back wall of the thing, showing the hole going through into the chimney (which can be just those cinder blocks with the big holes in them).

The left pic is what extends out the front of the back wall. This gives you 2 boxes for storing wood/charcoal etc, plus a bench on either side for putting your cooking utensils, uncooked food, beer, snacks etc on. The dotted line is a grate for putting the wood/charcoal/fire in... Then the metal cooking plate is shown on top. It's shown a bit thicker than it needs to be, but you get the idea. The plate can be fixed down if you need it to be.

The right pic is a side view, showing the chimney etc...

Maybe this is too full on, but hey.....

And yes, you shouldnt have too much trouble drilling into the bricks.

posted by  windsonian

I put an old cast iron baker's oven door on the front of my brick wood fired barbie = shield against the heat.

posted by  Wally

I think you should take some more ACAD classes before making some views for him to look at because from what I see they make absolutely little sense for a bbq

posted by  salimander13

dude! there's ghosts in that picture!!!!!!!!!.... :ohcrap: :puke:

posted by  dodger65

hehe, well, the proyect is on hold now, just like every proyect i come up with. g/f is going through her bipolar attacks again and telling everyone she wants to break up just cuz i caught her lying bout 4 things to my friends and me again.

guess this will have to be a proyect for january or so ;)

posted by  Inygknok

care to elaborate?

more cad classes, haha ... cos I spent hours on that :screwy:

[EDIT]: See attached pic .... make anymore sense? And don't try to pic my drawing to bits, because I spent all of 3 minutes doing it and it's just a conceptualisation tool, so it just needs to convey the idea, not be a construction drawing.

[EDIT EDIT]: I left the grate and hotplate off so you can see what's going on a bit better too....

posted by  windsonian

Don't forget a damper opening at the base of the stack. An half brick should do the trick.

posted by  Wally

Hey Windsonian, I understand your plan/drawing perfectly, and it looks like it'd be pretty nice too. Have you experience in the backyard bbq design/building field? :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

hehe ... I do have a similar one at home (not designed or built by me)

posted by  windsonian

Your Message