speakers!!!

Home  \  Off Topic  \  speakers!!!

hi guyz i have a pari of cerwin vega speakers and only one of them plays while the other just the midrange and the tweeter work and the sub plays just a little as if it wasnt powered coudl it be i blew the sub?? please help???

posted by  nick27

Probably the sub is toast. Could be the connection got loose or something to it as well.

posted by  thunderbird1100

but it cant b the sub is toats because it was working before could it be the connection inside the speaker box got loose??? because the sub moves a little but not as much as it did before...

posted by  nick27

Then yes, like I said, it's a loose connection. Whenever a speaker moves less than it used too, it's probably because of a loose connection.

The sub is hooked to an amp correct? Are the speakers? If they arent and your sub isnt working, it could be sometihng as simple as a blown fuse.

posted by  newyorker

IT's not a fuse.

ok thanks thunderbird ne other suggestions i should check because like i said the sub was playing strong before and know it just plays not as strong...

posted by  nick27

I had a problem like that once... bad connection one time.. amp channel gave out on my the next... :ohcrap:

posted by  Metzger

IT should be the connection, nothing else.

ok but what do you mean by connection? do you mean connection from the amp to the speaker or the connection inside the speaker box???

posted by  nick27

INSIDE the speaker box, obviously it's not the connection from the amp to the floorstanding speaker, because the tweeter and midrange both work in the box wit hthe sub, so it's obviously the connection from the back of the box to the sub itself.

Orrrrrrrrrrr he cranked the bass on his EQ, managed to somehow only cook one woofer....and it makes very little noise now :banghead: doubtful, but i've heard it happen.

posted by  dodgerforlife

my eq for bolth speaker were the same level for the bass level so if i wouldve cooked bolth susb instead of one but im sure its the connection becasue liek i said it was working before

posted by  nick27

well, considering you are using cerwin vega speakers, one would assume that you don't have a system capable of differing eqs for separate channels. Like I had said, it is possible to toast just one woofer, I've heard it happening.

posted by  dodgerforlife

If it's cooked it shouldnt play at all, and it still slightly moves. So obviously it's jus ta bad connection at some point. I had the same problem with a 12" Type-R, one of the banana plugs kept coming loose which made it get a weird ohm load and a weak connnection which made it sound like instead of getting 450rms it sounded like it was getting 4.5rms of power.

heh...my Type-S did that...only it was quiet cuz I had separated the spider...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Type-S's, they suck so much :laughing:

The new Type-R's are probably the best bang for your buck subs out there now in the budget market (around $100). The RMS rating on them is severely underrated. I havent met a person yet who is sending less than 600-700-800rms to a single 12. It loves the power, and gets WAY LOUD (As proven by the fourm who tested it against superwoofers and it had similar output!). It doesnt even begin to reach its mechanical limits until the mid 1000rms range. And they are REAL hard to blow up, one of the few subs I've seen take to a wall socket and survive for as long as it did. Alpine did a really good job improving upon the Type-R sub. The Type-X is one hell of a Sound Quality woofer though, although a bit overpriced in my viewpoint.

Personally, I love the Clarion sub that I got - Hits a hell of a lot harder then the Type-S did, and a lot cleaner too...and the box I have was in recommended ported box size for both.

However, I think I'm going to go with a full-on Polk/MOMO stereo setup in my car. I know the dB series is worthless, and I love Polk's home audio, so I can only hope they brought a lot of that to the table with the car audio. Unfortunately, nobody around here has a Polk/MOMO install done, so I can't say I've heard them in a real-world environment. That's one of the big reasons I've decided to go that route instead of Focal. That and cost ;)

posted by  dodgerforlife

My dad has a set of tweeters, mids and subs floor standing for his stereo. You can still hear some bass even though the subs are totally garbage now (outside rim ripped/blew most of the way around on both, supposedly liquid cooled but were unused for awhile and dried out).

posted by  car_crazy89

The MOMO components aren't bad at all. Their amps are pretty swell as well. The MOMO subs aren't too hot though, MY friend ran a few in a row in his Mustang, kept blowing, even with rated power being sent to it. They have pretty good sound quality, but dont get very loud. They aren't able to handle much power very well. I can personally recommend the MOMO amps and components, but the subs are pretty trashy.

There are just plenty of better subs out there for the price of the MOMO subs. I mean, same goes for the amps and components, but ESPECIALLY the subs.

Wish I can get a hold of THESE components sometime soon.
http://edesignaudio.com/Products/eDi6500sComponents/Gallery/DSCF0083.jpg

Elemental Designs ED6500s
150rms
91.5dB sens.

Sound like a dream fro mwhat I hear.

But for the price, nothing can beat THESE components at the moment, for $80.

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3792

If I had to run one brand of everything (less HU). I'd definatley pick either Resonant Engineering or Elemental Designs, both companies make some of the best subs on the market, have incredibly strong amps and both make some kick ass components.

ok so i i posted earlier for my cerwin vegas and a bad connection how would i test 2 make sure my sub isnt blown and if it is how would i be able to fix it????

posted by  nick27

You said earlier the sub still moves, just not as much, obviously it isnt blown, because if it was, it wouldn't play at all. You have to get access to the sub and check the wiring from the sub to the back of the speakerbox.

This is what my dad's subs look like now, and they still move with the beat (whats left of them anyways):
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/carcrazy89/PICT0002.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/carcrazy89/PICT0003.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/carcrazy89/PICT0004.jpg

posted by  car_crazy89

Looks fine, just need new surrounds. Other than that they look like they are i ngreat shape for some oldies.

Oh really? How much would some surronds cost and where from? He was just thinking of getting new ones cause he thought they were garbage.

posted by  car_crazy89

You'd have to consult an audio shop for that, wouldn't know where to look. You might have to buy a re-cone which includes a new surround.

ok the woofer doesnt move at all. i tried moving the wires around and it still doesnt work. i guess its blown how much witll it cost to fix this because i know the voice coil is blown?? how much will it cost? i live in canada??

posted by  nick27

If you can find a woofer just like it on ebay, or the entire floorstanding piece itself. That way it's cheap./

but how much will it cost to fix it?? i just need to fix the woofer i dont need a whole floorstanding piece

posted by  nick27

ok do any ov use know how to take out a voice coil from a woofer?? please give me a diagram with instructions to do so.. thank you so much.

posted by  nick27

much easier said then done, unless your woofer was built to do that.

just find a replacement woofer. not that hard to find, at least for a cerwin.

posted by  dodgerforlife

TIME FOR A NEW SUB!!!!

posted by  Stem

Just search around on EBAY, getting a new voice coil/spider/reconed will probably cost as much as getting a whole new woofer, or possibly come by an awesome deal on a floorstanding piece it self. Plus, I'm pretty sure they dont do repairs of this magnitude for your Cerwin's. Normally companies only do re-cones at the most and they charge about $100-$300 for it and is usually reserved for top of the line stuff only.

Hell, if I was you Id go ahead and relace BOTH woofers in each floorstanding piece, you can get very decent woofers out there for $50 for home audio. What size is it? 8" 10" 12" 15"?

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

Very high quality woofer (the Quatro).

hey thunder can u go check out my other post in my thread plz thanks

posted by  Stem

i tried looking around for voice coils i found nothing do you know an aproximate charge for fixing a voice coil??

posted by  nick27

Like we said, places dont do that, they just tell you to replace the speaker. And If they do that, what they do is practically replace the entire speaker parts (spider/coil(s)/cone). You're better off just getting a new woofer.

ok but i dont want a new woofer i like mine how much will it cost to get it repaired. and my other option is to change the voice coil by myself how would i be able to do so those are the only two options i have that i wanna do...

posted by  nick27

AGHGHHHHHH, you're driving me nuts.

That's what we're TRYING TO TELL YOU. NO ONE WILL FIX JUST THE VOICE COIL, AND IF THEY DO, IT'LL COST A LOT. The cheapest way to go is just getting a new woofer, you can get a new woofer for as low as $20-$25! Places who will fix it will charge you an astronomical amount of money to do what you need to get fixed because they will say you need to replace the cone/spider and other soft parts of the woofer. You cant just replace the voice coil, you have to replace the other soft parts it works in conjuntion with as you have to tear up the cone to get to the voice coil and will mess up the spider as well. That's why EVERYONE is saying to get a new woofer, it's CHEAPER, you want it to be the cheapest way of getting something that works again right?

Are you truly that ignorant? Honestly, you can find the EXACT SAME DAMN WOOFER as a WHOLE REPLACEMENT for the one you SOMEHOW blew. AND for a hell of a lot cheaper then redoing the coil on yours.

posted by  dodgerforlife

but around how much will it cost to replace this voice coil or repair it?/??

posted by  nick27

You can't ok?

posted by  Pythias

YOU CANNOT DO THIS AT HOME. IT HAS TO BE DONE BY PROFESSIONALS WHO DO THAT FOR A LIVING. WHICH MEANS YOU WILL HAVE TO SHIP IT OUT.

Therefore, at the VERY lowest end, 70$ + shipping two ways. So you're looking at around 30$(best guestimate) for shipping each way, which puts you over 130$ USD.

Or you could get a replacement woofer. I would find an approximate pricing for you, but since you have given us very few details, it is rather hard to do that, but for a Vega, you'd probably be in the 50-70$ range, possibly less as you somehow managed to blow it, meaning that it is probably lower end... all told, you could get a BRAND NEW woofer for UNDER a 100$.

Now muffin, before we really lose our cool, smarten de fuk up, eh?

posted by  dodgerforlife

amen dodger, this guy truly doesn't understand the concept of NO, you can buy my volf from me for $100 hows that sound sweety? ill give u a box too, and ill pay for shipping, if u just stfu.

edit : i think i understand his problem, he doesn't read the responces, he just keeps posting and posting

posted by  Stem

Wait, you'll ship a Wolf to Canada for 100$ in a crate?! **** YES IT'S MINE!

:laughing:

Yeah, something like that....he doesn't read. I need some more details about that speaker to give him more help in pricing it out, but he doesn't seem to want to do that.

posted by  dodgerforlife

okok relax were could i find 2 new cerwin vega woofers the voice coils in these woffers r cheap and cant witstand any heat what so ever....

posted by  nick27

why dont u get some good subs?

btw you can search yourself you know theres things called google, or search engines, we dont have to walk you the whole way right? try ikesound.com or onlinecarstereo.com and get something good.

posted by  Stem

Size, ohm, wattage. Riddle me that, then I'll give you some ideas.

posted by  dodgerforlife

ok ok i know i sound stupid but could i replace my cerwin vegas with alpine subs i found some really ncie type-s` for a good price? are they worth replacing my cerwin evags for these type s alpine subwoofers? oh yeah btw there for the car...

posted by  nick27

Your Message