Do any of you guys go to the gym?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Do any of you guys go to the gym?

Do any of you guys go to the gym or lift weights or anything?

I do, I go 6 days a week, I've been goin for 3 years. :hi:

What about you guys?

posted by  GreekWarrior

I go every night and can do 50 pushups non stop, 100 situps, 75 lb curls, and 110 lbs leg work outs, dunno what the machine is called though. Not the strongest but it'll do

posted by  99integra

No...too expensive, and far away, but there's like 2 women's gyms within 10 miles of here :doh:...I've been trying to convince my parents to get me a Bowflex though :hi:

posted by  chris_knows

I used to go 5 days a week until I got married.

Now about the only workout I get is 12 oz curls.

Ok, that's not entirely true. I have brought a few weights to work and do a couple of upper body exercises during the day. It's a start for me to try to get back into a routine.

posted by  theman352001

Just grow your hair longer and join one of the women gyms. :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Yeah. It is hard to get back into it, when I was swimming I would be active over 5+ hours in a day nearly everyday (except Sun) I was ripped, six pack and all. Now I have a 4 pack and trying to get back at it, but can't dedicate that kind of time to the gym. I go when I can but average about 4-5 days a week, pretty lousy if you ask me.

posted by  Voda48

I use some of the weight machines at the Y 3 or 4 times a week.

posted by  jedimario

About once every three and a half years. :hi: , i'm way overdue, this time. :banghead:

posted by  Bubba

Daily im at the gym. Missed a month so I gota catch up..benched 145 before now im doing 125 :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

Who needs a gym? Unless you don't have the space invest some money in your own equipment I find it much more efficient, and you save alot in the free time. I have a machine that can do butterfly's and about 20 other things for ANY part of the bdoy including legs arms upperbody. Bench press, punching bag(70lb), and a power tower. Along with 10,20,30,40lb's dbbs and I just bought a curl bar off ebay. I also have the olympic bar with 300lb's of weight and I will be getting 50'lbs soon. After that everything will be complete and YES I bought everything with my own money.

Machine-180 X-mas special at Dick's
Bench Press- 100$ from a friend
Olympic bar + weights- 90$ special at Dick's
Punching bag (70lb)-Coupon off and special 50$ at Dick's
Power Tower (most recent)- 230$ at Dick's VERY nice too.
Dumbbells- 100$ total. Sales for 49cents a pound at Dick's, so about 10$ for 2 10lb dbbs.

There you have it, total? Well really priceless if your into fitness and just have some friends come over, but if you want to talk money, 750$ for me it was over the course of a year and a half. And I didn't have a job so contemplate that one :hi: Anyway room isn't TOO big a deal the power tower is big but the punchingb bag hangs off of it, dbbs jsut put them wherever, bench well you usually have the olympic bar and weights on that, set the rest of the weights by it, and the machine I have is compact but VERy efficient especially for that price. Hard to find though.

:2cents:

posted by  Pythias

I just do martial arts to get training. Muithai, Judo, and Kendo. Two birds with one stone; learn to defend myself and get physically stronger. I means what's the point of all that strenght if you don't know how to use it? Plus, lifting weights gets you too big; more muscle just slows you down. Like hp to weight ratio, you want to be strong but with compact muscles.

posted by  aerith

My horses are enough work out for me.. The stable is my gym.

posted by  SyntheticTrust

I get to the gym around 3-4 days a week i mostly just run on the treadmill usualy an hour give or take. I prefer runnig outside but outside running in winter is too hardcore for me.
I hit the weights for like 10-15 minutes usualy.
Most of my strenth training comes from time at Karate, pushups etc.

posted by  Aondor

I don't go but I should. I'm still bloody strong, thanks to lots of farm work.

Let me give you some tips about weightlifting and working out, learnt a lot from being in football at my school*they were nuts and actually hired personal trainers for us, and I also learnt a lot of this from sports medicine*

1) You do not benefit from hitting the gym almost daily. Your muscles need a day to rebuild. Everytime you work out, you create micro-tears in your muscles. A day off is needed to repair those, which in turn gives you healthier, stronger, and larger muscles.

2) Do not go to the gym strictly for cardio, or for weightlifting, make sure to include both in your routine. Generally cardio should be done first, as it warms up the body to do weightlifting. About 20 minutes is perfect, unless your training for long distance running or biking, in which case you would practically live, breathe, sleep that sport. And for the love of god, stretch before and after!

3) When weightlifting, if trying to increase your muscular strength/one rep max, utilize the most you can comfortably can for 8-10 reps, 3 sets. If trying to increase your muscular stamina, use about 50-60% of your weight max, 15-18 reps, 3-4 sets.

4) More effective workouts will target groups of muscles. IE, day 1 of weightlifting, concentrate on your upper body(arms and chest), day 2, concentrate on your trunk(abdomen, back muscles), day 3, lower body(legs). Yes, you can still work out the other parts of the body, but if you concentrate on one area each day, you would get a more effective workout then sticking to the same routine daily.

For example, say you hit the gym, and started out with some massive curls, and then hit the bench press, then the leg press, all hard and fast. What you will do is burn your energy, and leave very little stamina for other muscles. So what I mean, an ideal routine would be more like, hit the gym, do your curls, hit the bench press, then work the triceps, deltoids, trapezius(just to name the major ones). By then you will probably be somewhat tired, but will have worked your upper body quite well. Maybe then you can hit up the leg press a little bit, yadda yadda yadda, I hope you get the idea.

5) Don't just hit the showers straight after working out. Take a few minutes to cool down, stretch out the muscles, try to avoid calcium buildups(which causes nasty muscle pains the day after). And make sure to drink lots of water to avoid muscle cramping during the workout.

6) EDIT!!!! - Don't feel that because the guy next to you is stacking two pies on the end of the bars(45lb plates) means that you have to as well. They've probably spent a lot of time in the gym. It doesn't help you any to try shit like that. Work at your own pace, and set your own goals. Don't get intimidated.

If someone wants a solid routine for power/stamina building, send me a message, I have the one left over from my football days :)

posted by  dodgerforlife

I generally work out 2-3 times a week, but that schedule always gets thrown off by holidays and sometimes my work schedule. Week before last we were rushing to get a project done, last week I was out of town on business, this week I've been catching up on stuff I missed last week. This Monday I'm working out. I only work out to gain/maintain weight. In college I was slammed with homework/projects and dropped to 165lbs (from 182), now I'm up to 184 (always wanted to be 190). I generally focus on upper body, some torso, I play basketball as my cardio/leg workout (also great for torso).

On a side note, my brother has a bow-flex, I always figured that'd be the way to go. He doesn't really like it, says it's only good for maintaining mass, he hasn't had much luck putting on weight using it. So, he still goes to the gym about every day.

posted by  Bino

I agree with you about everything except for this one, yes i agree going daily isn't beneficial if you do the same exercise two days in a row or more but if you work different muscle groups different days that's fine, because you're giving certain muscles groups a "day off".

But I'm looking for a new program so I'm interested in yours. :mrgreen:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Well, I guess it really depends on how hard you're hitting it. If you're looking to build lots of power, typically that means that you are hitting it pretty hard, so you would benefit from giving those muscles a day off. I guess it is kind of ironic considering how much we did work out for football, but then again, it wasn't the same routine daily ;)

Replied to your PM.

posted by  dodgerforlife

or you could just get a job that keeps you in shape like landscaping or contruction.

posted by  glagon1979

I was told pretty much the same thing that Dodger just explained by the gym teachers at school. They do say you benefit more by working out every other day and resting every other day.

I've been thinking of going to the gym lately or doing various things even around the house/neighbourhood that would help (though outsides probably not a choice now as it's winter). I think adding more muscle would help (with the added weight of the muscle) as I alittle underweight (or so I'm told) at 132 lbs and being about 5'10" or so, plus being 16.

Anyone have any helpful ideas on how to get started, let me know (post here or pm me.. thanks).

posted by  car_crazy89

Last year I was running, lifting weights (both machine and free weights), an playing ball. This year the only thing I've lifted is beer (and I got the belly to prove it :ohcrap: ).

posted by  elchango36

I dont go to the gym as it would prove too costly and to be honest I dont have the time. I will soon be getting some weights though....and I resently bought a Mountain Bike, in a vein attemt to keep fit lol :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Hopefully the bike looks nice so if you change your mind about the biking then it'll look nice sitting in the corner :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

damn man, it's not a beerbelly, its an advanced liquid grain handling facility!

posted by  dodgerforlife

No offense but most of that is common sense, dunno what those personal trainers told you but I'm willing ot bet my mustang I have mroe knowledge.

1) Who told you this? It is entirely UNTRUE. Depending on your workout plan hitting it almost everyday will not benefit. Common sense tells you if you work out most body parts doing it everyday isn't good.
It only isn't good if you are working out too many body parts.

-Most people hit one MAJOR muscle and one MINOR muscle a day and do that 5 days a week. GREAT workout plan gives enough time for healing

-For your muscle to FULLY heal and develop it is a process that takes anywhere from 3-5days (excluding forearms and abs), just because you can't feel it, that doesn't mean anything.

2) I don't agree with this one either. Depending on what you are capable of and what you are working out for, going for one or the other may suit you. Such as somebody with bad asthma or weak respiratory system. And no those aren't rare cases out there by ANY means.If you want to gain strength then for the most part you must eat more and by running you burn off alot of what could be used to build muscle. On the other hand if you are a runner, hitting the weights may be over doing it.

-As for stretching yes you should do that before and after, before to warm up, after because it tears your muscles a little more.

3) Can't agree either, for muscular strength the best would be about 75% of your max, 5-6 reps of 3 sets, on the last set go to failure, and I mean FAILURE, obviously have a spotter. Also for muscular endurance about 60% of your max for 8-12 reps for a total of 4 sets, last one to failure as well I believe.

4) Concentrating on one major muscle, not one area, for the most part bicepts and chest are among the top muscle groups. The major ones I would list as Bicepts, Chest, Back, Tricepts, and some legs though I don't do much legs. So a good workout may be a 5 day split with those major muscle groups and smaller ones such as forearms abdomen and some others.

-Also having the same routine for an amount of time is O.K. but having the same routine for about over 2 months is not good. Your body adjusts to your routine even if you are still pushing yourself just as much. Every 2 months you should switch up the workouts that you do, it will help you greatly to build muscle.

No offense but it doesn't seem like these personal trainers knew greatly what they were teaching. I too have been working out for some tims, mostly weight lifting, and I have talked to many different people from personal trainer's to reading about pro athletes workouts olympic training workouts and a number of other resources to learn what I Know.

:2cents:

posted by  Pythias

LOL, that's right!!! Go College!!!

posted by  elchango36

Yeah, the bike will look nice in the corner lol :thumbs:

I rode from my sisters house on it the other day. It's only about 2-3miles, but I walked atleast half of it lol....I used to be able to cycle 2-3miles with ease when I was at school :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Haha, that's all I do is either bike or walk. I'm used to it cause neither of my parents drive so if i ever wanna get somewhere then I have to do it myself lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

I use a different type of weight lifting but for some reason only my right arm gets bigger :orglaugh: :orglaugh:

posted by  Spanky2324

Spanky + Steve = Reacharound. :laughing:

posted by  dodgerforlife

Whoa whoa whoa whatever you have for steve don't put me in it. I fly solo thank you.

posted by  Spanky2324

Hah, I have nothing for Steve. He's just usually one to make some gay man's comment, so when you turned the tables and made the comment first, I just had to include him with you. :laughing:

And no, I am not trying to infer that you saying your right arm is bigger is truly gay, I just want to see if Steve reads this, and what he says. :laughing:

posted by  dodgerforlife

**** you Frenchy

posted by  99integra

Awww muffin, it was all in good fun, my widdle yanker...or is that "widdle wanker?" :laughing:

posted by  dodgerforlife

So, How much ya bench?

Sorry... I couldn't help myself.

posted by  ChromeDome

We lift weights for swim team about twice a week for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Other than that, I don't really work out. Too lazy...

posted by  moostang104314

Your Message