What is this guage?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  What is this guage?

OK to start let me mention that ive developed an interest in a car other than the Neon/SRT-4.
Now I just want to ask. I was looking at Beamers. 325 525 745 whatever, and they all have this
http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/142/dsc065440yx.jpg
What is that thing? I rode in an automatic 525i before and the guy had that guage. Everytime he stepped on the throttle it moved. At first I thought it was a Boost guage, but im pretty sure its not. Anyone know what it is? Is it a guage that tells you your MPG because that kinda makes no sense.

posted by  newyorker

My best guess would be that it has a computer which measures gas mileage...My dad had a Lincoln that did the same thing, and had a couple more things, all on LCD Display :hi:...Too bad he sold it :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

BTW that picture is NOT sexy

posted by  newyorker

DID ANYONE EVEN NOTICE THAT I LOOKED AT SOMETHING OTHER THAN A NEON/SRT-4??? :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

I sure did, congrats, you're moving up in life (Dodge to BMW is a big step :laughing: ). Anyways, yes it measures Miles per Gallon. The reason it moved when your budy mashed on the throttle was because he was using alot more gas to get to whatever speed he was trying to achieve. Higher RPM=More Gas per Revolution. Thus making his Gas mileage a lot less. Trust me, I could make it from My apartment down here in Carbondale, to the far south side of Chicago (300 miles) on 1 tank of gas. But if I'm hauling ass I normally need to fill up somewhere past halfway. :wink2:

posted by  elchango36

Yea...but it goes like to 50...can that car get 50 MPG?

posted by  newyorker

I dunno, perhaps if it ran at 500 (hundred) RPM or lower it could happen :ohcrap:

posted by  elchango36

The car doesnt idle at that LMAO

posted by  newyorker

Yeah...you're jealous :laughing:

Congrats on seeing other cars than Dodge :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

I wish I was as girly as you :wink:

posted by  newyorker

1. Bimmer. The long standing nickname for BMW cars is Bimmer. Beemer is the nickname for BMW motorcycles. It's been that way for years, even before my time. One of you little twinks can refute this, but once again whoever does will not be learning, only defending their incorrect opinion.

2. It's an instantaneous fuel mileage indicator.

1. It doesn't measure anything. It indicates fuel mileage. There is a difference.

2. "Higher RPM=More Gas per Revolution." Really? Care to explain that one? So according to you if I'm driving a vehicle at 2000 rpm with the throttle floored I'm using less fuel than if I've just downshifted, foot off the throttle and the engine is turning 6000 rpm on overun. That IS what you're saying after all, and of course it's wrong. Common sense will tell you that. Fuel consumption is based on a multitude of things and engine rpm is only one of them. I hope you put more thought into your college papers.

posted by  vwhobo

it MAY reach up to the 50mpg mark if you're coasting down a hill without your foot on the gas. other then that, yea, it shouldnt reach there that much.

elchango36-
maybe if you said "higher RPM = more gas per unit time (in a specific gear?)" then it would be closer to correct, and possibly absolutely correct. i wont go that far, even though it seems like that SHOULD hold 100% of the time, but like vwhobo said, there's more variables that go into fuel consumption then just that.

posted by  pik_d

I drove an early '90's Sedan Deville for a while with an LED fuel mileage indicator. Under the right circumstances I could get it up to 72.7 mpg instantaneous. If I could make it do that under all driving conditions I probably would have never unloaded that turd.

posted by  vwhobo

"the right circumstances = coasting down a hill"?

or with the gas even lightly pushed in?

posted by  pik_d

Foot off the throttle at 90ish mph. No hill required.

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah, I have that gage, and then my OBC also measures each tank's gas mileage Ive averaged, and also gives me a range, which is the estimate of when my car will run out of gas at my current average MPG.

So basically if I race all over and average 13 mpg, It might give me a range at half tank of 130 miles. The I start driving all nice, and start averaging 22 mpg, then my range will go up. My friend made the comment once "if we keep driving we'll have a full tank of gas!"

posted by  Zalight

Yes, you are correct, obviously there are more things involved in calculating Fuel Mileage. I was just trying to give Newyorker a broad understanding of it thats all. I didn't think I HAD to be more specific, afterall all I wasn't trying to confuse him, just give him a quick answer.

Thanks for that :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

Your Message