Network Downloading...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Network Downloading...

My sister downloaded a kick-ass movie, and I figured instead of searching for it, and downloading it, I could download it from her...

Does anyone know if it is possible?...The PC's are connected via router, but I can't find any way to do it...anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance

posted by  chris_knows

Goo... just use the wizard in windows...

posted by  Voda48

Which one?...Network Connections?

posted by  chris_knows

search for computer (go into any windows explorer window and hit ctrl-f) search for computer ... find it, make sure the hard drive is shared and you should be right.

posted by  windsonian

I'm pretty sure you can have it sent over to your computer. I get my brother to send music over to mine all the time. But i'm not sure how to. He always does it for me.

posted by  SmileLines

Simplest way is to have shared hard drives...then just go into your local area network...and connect that way.

i could always tell you how to setup a ftp server and use that :laughing: but it wouldn't be worth the effort if you two are on a lan.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Burn it onto CD or DVD?

Anyhow I had the same problem as you and it took me ages to get it sorted. Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup and also make sure the firewall isn't blocking access between the 2 computers. Then make sure you shared the folder the movie is in and then you should be good to go.

posted by  fudge

Thanks so far, and now when I go to view network computers, I see hers, and when I double click on it, this pops up:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/chris_knows/mshome.jpg

posted by  chris_knows

Either you or her firewall isn't setup properly. I was stuck with that message for a long time :banghead:

Bastard people at PCWorld wouldn't give me any advice so I ended up borrowing networking for dummies from the local library :cussing:

posted by  fudge

So turn firewalls off?...I turned them off, but the same thing still happens...

I probably should have mentioned that the router is connected to the modem through my parents' computer, so should I have it enabled from there?

posted by  chris_knows

make sure she's got all of her permissions set to let you share her crap.

posted by  windsonian

I wouldn't turn the Firewall off, that's too risky these days(you could if you want). Just add you and your sister's local IP address (usually 192.168.1.x) to the list of allowed IP addresses in the Firewall(on all your computers).

posted by  fudge

How would I go about doing that?...Not too good with computers :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

first thing to check .... my computer right click on c:\ .... sharing ... make sure it's shared ... relax the permissions.

posted by  windsonian

That was already done, what now?

posted by  chris_knows

I'd say use the AIM program and share files that way....but you're a Canuck. I guess you could use AIM...I don't know? I use AIM to share files with my friends all the time, but we'll see how this other thing works out for ya.

posted by  97Talonchik

MSN has the same thing, but it takes really long...I tried sending a movie (typical ~700MB file) to a friend, and overnight we barely got through 10%...It would be easier to download it, but I can't find any torrents that actually work :doh:

But it's still an option...

posted by  chris_knows

lol if you want a file from your sister, first off is go to her computer and right click on the file. Then click on the subfolder "sharing" and check(click) share this file on the network. You will have to know the share name of it. Now, being on your computer, open a folder and type in \\and what ever the share name is on the file(where you right clicked to share) or the name of your sister's computer. Example my computer's name is nightroad so to get a file from mine I'll type in \\nightroad at the address bar of any folder. It should work or you dont have access to your network. Goodluck :thumbs:

posted by  nightroad

Now this "sharing" subfolder...is it real?...or just symbolic :laughing:

I can't find it anywhere :doh:...But everything else makes sense...

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message