SMOG-Cali

Home  \  Off Topic  \  SMOG-Cali

Ive triple checked dmv.org for this stupid smog emission requirment, but I am still wondering if I buy a car off a private seller- do I really need either have the seller or myself smog before taking the car home? Any other reasons or info will be greatly appreciated.

posted by  nightroad

don't know, I'm going to go with maybe its neutral so I can't lose. The smog guy told my mom if your having trouble passing in an old car or a car that is having trouble in general, take it out on the freeway and speed getting in some high gears and he says that makes it easier to pass smog inspection.

posted by  salimander13

i think you just need to smog for registration each year, so if its allready registered, no worry, but im not 100% sure

posted by  ride3k

Google is your friend:

Pulled directly from: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2537

posted by  97Talonchik

Yes thanks for finding it, but I've already read that part twice. It does not explain my question. The guy selling the car to me has a sticker lasting until march of 2006, but the thing is he hasnt used the car in 7 months so its been more than 90 days(refered in dmv) and It goes into this question-does this matter, and can I get it smogged after I buy it?

posted by  nightroad

If you read it again, it states he has to get it smogged before transfer. That is unless he's had it tested within the past 90 days.

posted by  97Talonchik

Yes! Smog is req'd.

posted by  BavarianWheels

thanks, tomorrow Im picking up the car, woot. :sleep:

posted by  nightroad

Your Message