Or will have one anyway, shortly. His name is Stephen Harper and his party
is the Conservative, aka the Tories.
Just thought I'd let all you Americans know, so when Jay Leno comes and asks you, you won't look dumb. :mrgreen:
Thank God Paul Martin's out...Corrupt queer, with the whole fundraising sponsorship scandal :doh:
I don't really follow the Government, but I honsetly thought the NDP would win, although I was hoping for Conservatives...
Whoamg yay to Canada have fun with the new guy :thumbs:
Chris, you really don't know this time lmao!
Not to be rude, but maybe you ought to step out of this one until you pay a little more attention to Canadian politics.
And I'm happy that the Tories and Harper won. Plus the MP in my area, Batters(torie), was re-elected, which is great :)
What did I say that was wrong?...That's what our History teacher's been
repeating since December, so I figured I could look smarter lol.
And I'm doing everything in my power to learn about Politics, I'm taking Civics, but it isn't until the second half of the second semester :laughing:
I think you were wrong about having any belief at all that NDP even had a slight chance Chris.
Yeah, where did he get that idea? I mean, it was all over the news for
like the last 3 weeks. "Conservatives way up in polls", "Conservatives may
get majortiy government", "Harper slated to be next Prime Minister",
"Layton likes the cock"...
Didn't you listen to the news?
Ooh...I just figured because my school had an election thing, to see who we would elect (not counted for the actual elections though), and 75% of the people went for the NDP...
Heh...does Jon Stewart count? :laughing:...I said I don't really watch the news, although I probably should begine :ohcrap:
Ours was kind of the same, but we're all young and we don't really count lol. NDP won't win, although I hear from some that it would be nice... oh well what can you do.
I think Jon Stewart just dicusses US politics...
Yeah, there was a rumour going around that the Conservatives want to take
away women's rights...any truth to that?...Because it sounds...illegal lol,
don't flame for asking stupid questions please...
And yet I know so little about the U.S. economy :laughing:
Not sure, but I have heard that they will make us enemies and stand together with Bush and the US... and also something about not allowing the gay marriage thing...
Wow, both of you have been listening way too much to what the Liberal ads
are saying, what you have just said about the tories was a bunch of scare
tactic bullshit, desperation moves by the liberals. And it also seems that
your History teacher is just a wee bit biased.
Here's some facts, that are a lot straighter then the crap that you get from the news.
1) The liberals fudged up a lot more then just the sponsorship scandal. What about the 2 billion dollar blackhole of a useless gun registry? It hasn't decreased crimes involving weapons whatsoever, which is what they had hoped it would do. Or you could always talk about the HRDC screwup. Or the fact that we are getting bent over the barrel with NAFTA. The list goes on and on.
2) The NDP haven't stood solidly in the country for a decade or two now. They never stood a hope in hell of winning this election. Doesn't take school to know that... and just because your class "election" went for the NDP doesn't mean anything at all, really. Annnnnnnnd of course it wouldn't count, you aren't old enough to register to vote.
3) You will always hear that it would be nice if some party won. But that's because there is people who take a hard stance on a party, and are unmovable in their ideas.
4) It wouldn't be illegal for Harper to take away women's rights. But it would never happen, the tories aren't a majority government, and that kind of motion would be shot down so fast in parliament that it isn't even funny. However, it wasn't something that was ever mentioned. Just a rumour to try and slander the tories.
5) Make us enemies against who? Harper wants to strengthen US relations, which would mostly mean economically, which means increasing trading between Canada and the US. Again, this is scare tactic crap that was used to slander the tories, just like they were going to cut seniors assistance, which isn't going to happen.
6) Homosexual marriages would not be banned outright, but the vote of it would be given to Canadians, meaning that a majority of the country would have to agree to have them banned. As it stands, it was a single judge who said they should be allowed.
Any other questions?
No, that pretty much covers it :read:
Well Dodgerforlife, I hadn't said I believed any of it, I just said that's
what I was told (and not from tv but by people). I also know that NDP has
never had a real chance to be voted in in a long time and probably won't
for even longer.
The 'enemy' thing i said I heard would not be us against the US but everyone against us for following anything the US does (like decisions to fight, etc).. which would make us close to them but seperate us from everyone else. As for the gay marriages (like the above) I don't know a whole lot about it as I'm not into politics or anything to do with them really.