What college are you going to or have Attended?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  What college are you going to or have Attended?

As a 110% student i was curious where people went for college or where people are going to college. Also include where you want to go. Talk a little about how the enviroment is like and what you did and how you study/studied. Just a little about college life. I'll start out

Alright since i want to be a computer hardware ENGINEER i looked for the best engineering program in the country. Well on top of that list was listed a school in my city. Drexel University. I am fully molding my grades and standards to meet the acceptance of a co-op student for the university. Co-op is become the most famous program and drexel. It is a program where you work and study for 5 years. So by the end of the college you have. 1.5 years of experience to enter the working force. The college helps you look for a job in that field under the co-op program. You work 6 month periods in the field of your study. I think it is great and can't wait to get there. I hear that it is a great school for engineering and look forward to going there. My gpa isn't at the exact requirements but pretty damn close. The problem is i take very high level classes in my school so they affect my gpa a bit. After this semester in 11th grade i'll have my gpa high enough so i'm not worried at all. My psat scores were pretty dang good so i'm not worried about sat's at all. I'm working on some hardware certs so it looks good on a resume and to end it off i'm almost gauranteed to get in because of my grades. My brother knows a lot of alumni that went there so i'll get a few refrences from them

posted by  95civicdima

Congrats, I'm planning on going to UTI/Wyotech, and then some other college (possible)...but haven't decided yet...Still waiting for an info package from UTI (already asked for one 3 times) lol

posted by  chris_knows

Well I still have about a year to go, but I haven't made up my mind what I'm doing yet. I either want to go to college or become an automotive apprentice. I have Co-op starting soon and am hopefully doing it at the Kawartha Chrysler Jeep Dodge place, I also plan on doing an OYAP program (some apprentice program) for school next year (whole semester of working wherever I choose/get accepted). Not sure yet though if it's better to learn at a small local garage or a bigger dealership garage.

posted by  car_crazy89

I''m currently finishing up my second year at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. I am a FLIT major. FLIT stands for Foriegn Langauge and International Trade. As you've probably already guessed my foreign language is Spanish. The reason I went into this is because when I graduated High School, I wanted a job out in the corporate world that would allow me to travel and see the world (Did I mention I love traveling?). The reason I'm a FLIT major and not an International Business major is because A.) the FLIT program allows me to graduate with a double major (It would have took me an extra year and a half had I tried to do this outside of the program). B.) Part of the requirement for graduating as a FLIT major is completing an internship in a foreign country that speaks the language of your study. (I really want to go to Spain **crosses fingers**) C.) I can do all this in 4 years. :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

I'm going to QUT ( Queensland University of Technology) to do Electrical or mechanical engineering this year.

posted by  GreekWarrior

Well I'm a senior in high school, my GPA isn't great for a number of reasons but its ok. I took the ACT 2 times final score being a 23 which is pretty good. I plan on going to College of Southern Maryland, haven't decided on a major yet because after my first semester through college I will call up my OSO (officer selection officer) for the Marines take their test and get into the Officer program where I basically kinda train to become an officer thruogh my years of college. And I can decide at the end of the 4 years of college if I want to become an officer and be commissioned or decide its not for me.

posted by  Pythias

Community College baby! I was usually anywhere from a D to B student in highschool, and my parents even put me in a "guided study" when my grades were slipping. I just finished my first semester at a Community College, and I somehow got 3 A's and a B. The craziest part is that I'm not trying nearly as hard as I did in highschool. I failed Algebra II in highschool, last semester I got an easy A. I'm a Mechanical Engineering major, and plan to attentd UMASS after my second year of Community College. They have a program worked out so that after 2 years of Community College you can enter UMASS as a Junior, and you get a chunk off of your tuition. Plus UMASS has a god Engineering Dept.

posted by  giant016

im either planning on going to uti or maybe the military

posted by  mx3_monster

aaaahh, good ol' super tafe!!!:mrgreen:

posted by  windsonian

attended shawnee state university aka floodwall tech...for two years, decent community college but college just isnt my thing...

posted by  adamc44

sweet deal bro but the thing is i would HATE to go to community college. It except everyone basically and it is just to easy to get into there is no challenge. What's the point to study so hard and work so hard just to go somewhere that'll except anyone? I'm going for it all college. That's cool that you can transfer and i can imagen that taken a lot off of your pay. GOOD LUCK!

posted by  95civicdima

What do you mean super tafe. :ticking:

posted by  GreekWarrior

What do you mean tafe?...Could you give us a North American English translation of the word? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

I'm going to Cal State Fullerton University starting my second semester on the 30th. I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, the reason for my major is because there is alot of opportunity for engineers. It also pays high salaries or hourly wages. I like college alot better than high school because there is much more time to do things.

posted by  salimander13

As ridiculous as this post is, I'd have to agree with it on a global basis. I schooled with many individuals that did the whole community college and then transfer thing. I must say that my Freshman/Sophomore years were the most social years of my college career. If you then transfer to a new school (University or something), you don't actually know anybody on campus, you must start over with your social life... at a time (Junior year) when your studies are demanding an amazing amount of your time. I can see how the community college direction could be beneficial, but on a social level (most of what will happen to you in life will have more to do with WHO you know, not what you know) it's not a good idea. But that's just my experience.

posted by  Bino

At one time the use of "University" was reserved for non profit corporations of teachers and students that had a charter to grant degrees of learning. Up to about 20 years ago QUT was Queensland Institute of Technology and was also used as a trade technical college. TAFE (Technical and Further Education) is just a fancy name given to technical colleges.

Traditionally technical colleges and technical institutes in Australia were State run, but with the lure of Commonwealth (federal) monies the institutes changed to University status and became profit making ventures.

So for us oldies who used to joke about irrelevent degrees as seen in movies, observing it happening here is rather disconcerting. At least they haven't adopted the sports scholarship degrees.:wink2:

Having said that, QUT is well regarded and has been known to turn out some pretty decent engineers.

posted by  Wally

You mean you didn't got o the University of Wallamaroo? Oh, yeah, your name's not Bruce. ;)

posted by  ChrisV

Strueth no! Did you mean Wooloomooloo?

http://woolloomooloo.visitnsw.com/HolidayLocation/TNSW500162CR.htm

posted by  Wally

Lol,

Lol! Just an old Monty Python reference. ;)

posted by  ChrisV

Well I'm a junior in high school but I am looking at places like Union College, Trinity College (in Connecticut), Columbia University, Tufts University, RPI, WPI, and so on. I plan to major in mechanical engineering and then get a MS and (hopefully/ eventually) doctorate in either mechanical engineering (go into cars) or aerospace/ aeronautical and go into NASA (I am in a NASA program already, so I think I could get a job for them). :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Exactly ... and there's nothing wrong with QUT, especially in engineering and education, but being a UQ graduate myself, it's my moral duty to maintain an elitist attitude to all other institutions, be they universities, or merely institutes.

posted by  windsonian

im a sophmore in high school an when i got to college ill prolly end up going to a university because ive taken "the plan' test an i guess its a warm up for the act an i got a 25 on it an i got around a 3.3 gpa so ill prolly get a cheerleadin or wrestlig scholarship, im hoping to got to The Ohio State University for wrestling or University of Kentucky for chherleading then if i had a third choice id say like WVU or some where along those lines

posted by  hhsrastler92

if my loan goes through i will be attending Acoustic Edge in Oklahoma City, i dont kno when i exactly i will start. http://stereoschool.com/okc/home.html i just hope my loan application goes through lol

posted by  Tech_N9ne

this what you were talking bout wally?

posted by  windsonian

I'm hoping I can save enough and get enough financial aid to be able to go this fall. I still have to save enough to get myself a car to even be able to drive to college.Haha.

I plan on going to either the University of West Florida for marine biology or to Pensacola Junior College for Cosmetology. I'd rather major in marine biology, but I don't think I'll be able to afford the tuition. Even if I do get loans and scholarships, it will be really hard for me to afford it. I already took the ACT and scored a 28 out of a 36, which isn't too bad considering the average at my school was a 22.

I don't think that Community Colleges are bad as some think they are. Some people just can't afford a major university,and many community colleges offer a great education.
My main goal is the be the first person in my family to attend college and to get a decent paying job, so I won't have to struggle as much as my parents do.

posted by  SmileLines

I'm with you here. Also, good luck on getting into college, hopefully you'll make it into what you really want and will succeed in it (I'm sure you will).

posted by  car_crazy89

Thanks, I'm hoping everything will work out. Good luck with you also. :thumbs:

posted by  SmileLines

Your Message