Question on 2.3

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Question on 2.3

I'm looking for a little swap of a turbo 2.3 out of a Merkur, T-bird or Mustang SVO. Early engines (’83-‘85) used a small .390” lift cam, later engines used a large .400” lift one so it would be one of the later engines. Late ’85-’89 engines had a better flowing exhaust manifold than the earlier version so the engine I would get would be out of the years 85-89. Also all ’83-’89 motors are controlled by the EEC-IV engine management system. It is the same basic system that the ’85-’94 Rangers used so that would be another advantage seeing that my trucks a 93. I am thinking about just using low boost (6-7psi) because a stock Ranger MAF system can handle it without major problems. They have forged pistons, to better to put up with the turbo’s punishment so I'd look into some of those. The EEC-IV system prefers a BPV (as opposed to a BOV) because the venting of previously metered air tends to confuse the computer and can cause an over rich stumble when getting back on the throttle after shifting.

I've been reading up on this a lot and for .10 cents more at the pump and not a huge decrease in mileage I think it would be a good improvement for power. I also don't wanna hear put a 302 in because I have a feeling that would be too much power for a 15 year old :wink2:

Other than that lemme hear ya'll's input!

posted by  99integra

I dont know what ANYTHING means.

posted by  newyorker

nah bro dude...like I said, save your money and dump in a twin turbo ls6 into the 'scort.

But I guess if you are hell bent on doing something to the ranger....then the 2.3 SVO engine is definitly a good choice. My friend had a merkur with it and never had any problems from the engine.....had problems with everything else on the car, but not the engine.

posted by  Zalight

Sounds sweet, but I'm not sure if you'd really have to use premium in there...I know the KA24DE could take up to 7 psi on regular gas. Keep us posted on what happens :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

yes....because the ka24de would be such a simple swap into a ford ranger......He said so himself that the Ranger uses the same engine control as the SVO, which will make things a hell of a lot easier, although it stil wont be easy, it wil be easier.

posted by  Zalight

I know, but what I was trying to get at was that he might not need to run Premium...although it wouldn't be a bad idea to use it...

posted by  chris_knows

Your worried about too much power? That's a new one. I also didn't know your only 15. I knew you were younger, but was thinking 17?

posted by  Scolson

Nah, I just seem to be more mature than my fellow cohorts :wink2: :laughing:

posted by  99integra

It means his car coudl take your neon now go cry about it
Yadda yadda

posted by  Aondor

Put a 351 in it.
No seriously you should probly be able to run up to 10 psi with out problems.

posted by  Aondor

Your Message