A little story that happened today

Home  \  Off Topic  \  A little story that happened today

my day started off blah blah yada yada....

NOW where the stupid/fun part begins (note that I haven't stalled the car all day), I pull up to the red light throw it into nuetral and just let it sit there. The light turns yellow boom I step on the clutch and put it into first gear. Then it happened....something that I have prevented all day yes the dreaded stall, I thought to myself OMG did I just stall the car yes damn there are 5 cars behind me how could I do this. As I quickly gained composure I felt axious to go, but oh no the car starts to jump because I just made a fool of myself and want to get out of there as quickly as possible. Everyone is watching pressure builds.

I finally step on the clutch to prevent another stall and take off really rough. Then it just so happens that I got stuck with the biggest teenage assholes behind me they start to yell and before you know it we were racing:doh: I throw it into second I'm in the lead I throw it into third I'm still winning...Then a moment of clarity I thought to myself hey come on why are you racing its the street...you've got nothing to prove to this guy. I stepped on the breaks and slowed down, as the kid passed me (my friend said he looks like the kid from elephant man) he yells "WTF WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DRIVE STICK" Then I thought to myself dude its my FIRST DAY driving stick on the street. I kind of felt proud that he was stepping on the gas as hard as possible and I had it halfway down and shifted every 2500 rpm's.

I was upset and wanted to race him, but why put others at risk plus it was my first day driving on the streets. I still have trouble getting the car going without it jumping reving the engine to much or stalling or making the car bounce alot, so any tips would be appreciated. I think I'm in love with my new car:mrgreen:

posted by  salimander13

Can't really offer too much advice on the stick, but for a first day that sounds pretty sweet...:thumbs:

I have more respect for someone who turns down a street race rather than someone who wins it :mrgreen:

BTW I seem to be forgetting...what car was it that you drove :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

1990 ford mustang gt 5.0 hatchback (man I love saying that to people)

posted by  salimander13

That's pretty nice, stalling a 200+ horsepower car just once...I have troubles with a 130hp car...on private roads :laughing::ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

I've heard 4 people say that the car has a hard clutch. Not hard to push in (maybe for my mom and her friend the previous owner because they are short), but because you barely lift half the distance of a "normal" one and it will stall out on you. But I don't see a problem with it...perhaps it just makes it easier to go.

god look at me I could talk all day about my car I LOVE IT

posted by  salimander13

LMAO AT THE NOOB WHO CAN'T DRIVE! :orglaugh:

Just joking. :laughing:

I stalled my integra acouple of times when I first got it because it was a big adjustment from a datsun 1200 ute. :mrgreen:

posted by  GreekWarrior

You just need to get in contact with your clutch better. Try this..
1. Go to an empty parking lot.
2. Put your car in first.
3. Slowly, very slowly, let out the clutch.
4. Take notice at what point your car starts to jerk forward.
5. Keep letting out the clutch unitll it stalls again.
6. Turn your car back on.
7. Repeat steps 2-3
8. Remember where that point was in number 4? Try and catch that with you gas pedal.
9. Keep letting off the clutch untill you get the car moving.
10. Stop, repeat steps 2-10 untill you get the hang of it.
11. Now try doing that a little faster.
12. IF you need more tips, post.
13. Once you've mastered this, master downshifting, apropriate downshift points, double clutching, heel-toe.
14. Once youve got the hang of downshifting and apropriate shifting points, you can begin learning how to shift w/o the clutch and w/o messing up your trany!

posted by  elchango36

Yep, manual driving is easy once you find your "point of friction". :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Good going on turning down the street race!

I've always driven a manual car and only driven an auto a few times. To be honest, as it's second nature to me I'm finding it hard to offer advice. Try building the revs up slightly before letting up on the clutch peddle. But than, Elch seems to have offered some good advice so far :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Is appropriate downshifting a must, when I downshift the car doesn't jerk or high rev so I think I'm doing it correctly. I'll read the double clutching thread again didn't quite understand it the first time. What is heel-toe?. My last question I thought you needed to use the clutch to change the gears how can you change it without? I know its soon, but I won't apply this knoweledge until I do the steps that were listed before this.

posted by  salimander13

You can change gear without using the clutch, only whilst moving. It's alot easier to change up the gears like this though! Changing down, you have to gwt the revs right. It's not advisable to do this though, as that's why there's a clutch. It's only advisable to use this method if your clutch cable snaps, or a similar fault and ya have to get home like it!

posted by  Cliffy

Congrats on the purchase man! Fox bodys can be very powerful cars for very cheap.

clicky for power!! (http://www.turbo-kits.com/mustang_turbo_kits.html)

4000 dollars for 400 rwhp is not bad at all. And thats one of the more expensive kits, you should be able to find one for about 3k. The only reason I went to turbo-kits.com is because Jesse (the PR guy for the site) and all the guys over there are great people. They actively post on one of my turbo BMW forums and have helped anybody out beyond their call of duty.

As far as the learning to drive stick, just give yourself a week or so and you'll be doing everything elchango told you about without even thinking about it.

posted by  Zalight

Its all about practice. Tips are all well and good, but you'll learn it on your own either way.

posted by  Mathew

puss...:wink2: :laughing:

posted by  adamc44

My grammpa had a 90 5.0 GT like yours with 2.73 gears on her, it was the car I learned how to drive stick on and I'll tell you what, she is easier to drive than my baby Gina because she had the hp and torque to let the clutch out fast and smooth, kinda hard to explain but if you have a friend with a 2.3 liter 5spd Ranger, then drive it and you'll see the vast difference between the two at start off. :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Heel-toe (http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/heeltoe.html) I wouldn't recommend messing with it untill normal everyday driving becomes second nature to you(meaning your body starts doing the movements before your brain even thinks about them.) Notice Tak's feet for an example http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e300/elchango36/ID.gif
Once you've learned the correct points where your car is supposed to change gears, you can learn how to shift w/o the use of the clutch. However its very important you master the basics before giving this a shot. And as Cliffy said, your supposed to use the clutch, but in the event that your clutch goes out (for any reason) and you need to get from point B back to point A (which has happened to me in different cars), then knowing how to shift without the clutch becomes a tremendous asset. As for downshifting, it's another skill thats really important when driving a stick, not only because it can help you accelerate out of corners faster, but because it can in fact help you in sticky situations. Did you know you can help slow down your car with the engine?? Try this in another empty parking lot.
1. Accelerate up to 5th gear
2. Completly let off the gas (start to coast)
3. Down shift to 4th (feel the car jerk forward) (DO NOT BRAKE unless your about to hit something)
4. Let the revs come down a little and downshift to the next gear.
5. Notice youll be slowing down the whole time.
6. Now try this again except this time get your brakes involved.

Engine breaking is helpfull in different situations. IT comes in handy when you can;t use your brakes at their full potential (rain, snow, icy roads), and it can help keep you brakes from overheating if your driving and constantly needing to slow down (like if your driving down a mountain side).

posted by  elchango36

Oh and as far as what 99integra said, its true. Driving a manual pick up is tougher than a car (I cant begin to count the many times a stalled my dad's Nissan pickup or my cousin's Ford Ranger.)

posted by  elchango36

I have always found it much easier to drive a car with a performance clutch as compared to an economy car. My car, my brothers FD3S, an 06 STI, a 2.7L TT audi S4, an e46 m3...and many others that I cant think of off the top of my head all have peroformance clutches with small friction points that grab like a mofo, and I think they are easier than your average civic or corolla.

posted by  Zalight

First time I drove an M3, I thought it would be hard to drive, but it was just as easy as my old Mazda 323. Even the Aston Martin V8 Vantage I drove at my last job was easy to drive.

Oddly enough, the only cars I've never driven are all muscle sort of cars, such as Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, etc.

posted by  Mathew

I drove my friends small pick up and his catch point was extremely high compared to the gt, but it feels good went driving around today and I'm starting to get the hang of going easier with less jerk. A question I have is if im driving along is it bad to switch a gear at around 4500 rpms because my yellow zone is a tad before 5 i'd say 4800-4900 and the red zone starts at 1000rpm's past that. would that be bad on the engine? I havn't done it and probably won't unless I get good and want to take it to a track to race one of my cocky ass friends. I usually switch around 2500 rpm's is that a good point to switch or should it be higher/lower?

posted by  salimander13

You've driven automatics before right? I say switch gears whenever its comfy

posted by  Zalight

Your Message