Helium...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Helium...

Is it flammable?

I got into an argument with a friend that I could light a helium balloon on fire, and he said it wasn't true...so we asked some science teachers, and they said it won't burn...So can it burn?...and is there a way to make it burn? lol

posted by  chris_knows

Helium is currently preferred to hydrogen in airships because, while it is more expensive, it is not flammable and has 92.64% of the lifting power of hydrogen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium

posted by  vwhobo

Hydrogen may be coming back in vogue for airships, as the issues that were ascribed to it in the past have been proven to be false.

And no, helium won't burn.

posted by  ChrisV

Pssht...What do you guys know? :laughing:...I'm going to light helium, and it's going to burn!! :laughing::ohcrap:

OK well thanks for the answers lol...

posted by  chris_knows

Hobo and ChrisV gave you the answer..

However, a hydrogen balloon with a tail of fuse makes a rather spectacular fireball...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Yeah, the reason this came up was because our science teacher lit a hydrogen balloon, and it was pretty loud too (but he did it with a long burning stick)...so I said it could be done with helium, and the teachers said no lol :ohcrap:.

posted by  chris_knows

you like hydrogen, try lighting up some methane:thumbs: be sure to stand FAR away or well you'll die or go deaf either way you lose

posted by  salimander13

Something like this?: :laughing:...But with a lighter lol...

http://www.fire-n-spice.com/members/1248058/uploaded/greg_fart_with_bad_gas _problem_md_clr.gif

posted by  chris_knows

then your science teacher is a ****ing idiot.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Why is he an idiot? lol...We were all wearing goggles, and a good 15-20 feet back :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

just out of curiosity how big was the balloon? Diameter wise just make an educated guess.

posted by  salimander13

It looked like a regular helium sized balloon...I even thought it was helium lol...

posted by  chris_knows

damn, I'd think just half way would be good enough...just stick with the methane I don't think your going to get anything out of that helium:laughing: . Wait till you stop blowing stuff up and start making icecream YUM hand made icecream is the best thing you can do in chemistry

posted by  salimander13

While you may be disapointed with trying to light hellium......I recommend filling a latex glive with Oxyacetylene, putting it on the floor, and leaving a trail of Carb/Brake cleaner (flammable) to it, and dropping a match lol.....Introducing the "Oxyacetylene Bomb"......satnd well back though lol. We used to do this alot at the garage and the Fast Fit centre next door nearly lost all their tyres off their tyre racks lol!.....*Realises he should setting an example rather than reliving his apprenticeship* :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message