Anyone know how to burn a vcd?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Anyone know how to burn a vcd?

Does anybody know how to burn a 700 mb movie onto a cd so that you can watch it on a dvd player? Like a VCD? I can burn a movie onto a cd, but then it won't play on a dvd player, only on the computer. I want to be able to watch it on a dvd player.

posted by  Mathew

If you're using Nero, then burn data disk (works for me)...and if you aren't...what program are you using?

posted by  chris_knows

yeah i usually burn data disc, but the cd wont be recognized by the dvd player. i can only watch the video on the computer.

posted by  Mathew

Ya the data cd should work and its a much smaller file so it burns faster. Other than that I'd say go with your instinct and burn it onto a dvd. Dvd's might take LONG time to download also. I use nero also.

posted by  salimander13

So you're saying buring an avi onto a cd as a datadisc should play on my living room dvd player?

posted by  Mathew

It works on mine...what model DVD player is it or does it say that it plays CD's (not DVD's)?

posted by  chris_knows

It SHOULD, but that was with a different program with my old computer, but I don't see why it wouldn't. If it doesn't work then the worst that can happen is you lose a rw cd that will play the movie computers and only play sound on other cd readers.

posted by  salimander13

I thought all dvd's play all data discs other than video games

posted by  salimander13

My PS2 actually, I just assumed it would have the same capabilities as a regular standalone dvd player. I'll have to try it on our regular DVD player.

posted by  Mathew

I'm pretty sure they do, but I wasn't positive...

posted by  chris_knows

VCD's have other files that tell the player where the vdeo is and how to play it, not JUST the MPG (and it's MPEG-1, 320x240, for a VCD, BTW)

For a DVD, you're looking at MPEG-2, 740-480, and again, it needs certain files to be created to tell the player what to play.

Many modern multi format DVD players will also be able to see a series of folders and you can browse to the actual MPEG file, just lik ethey wil let you view a JPEG slide show. But the PS2 won't do that, nor will slightly older standalone DVD players.

On a VCD, the other folders are CDI, EXT, MPEGAV, SEGMENT, and VCD

posted by  ChrisV

What about avi to vcd/dvd?

posted by  GreekWarrior

http://www.videohelp.com/

^tells you all you need.^ I used to do that shit before I got my DVD burner. Look for a guide on how to convert AVI to VCD.

posted by  dodgerforlife

All DVD players are not created equal. You have to know if your DVD player accepts VCD's for playback. Some will and some won't. If it is an older one (or cheaper), most likely it won't....like ChrisV said.

posted by  97Talonchik

Ok so I tested it last night and it didn't work on our home DVD player, which is fairly new (like 6 months to a year old). It just said it was a datadisc.

I do know however that it would play cd's, vcd's, dvd's etc. So I'll check out that site and see what I can find.

posted by  Mathew

You could just go buy a DivX player for the TV. That way you won't have to spend ages encoding to MPEG 1 or 2 and you can fit a whole film onto a 700mb CD-R. Also it'll look nicer than a VCD.

posted by  fudge

I didn't know you could buy a divx player for your tv. Is it really worth the money?

posted by  Mathew

It's worth the time you save not having to encode the movies onto Mpeg 1 or 2(they take absolutely ages on my newish computer), if you buy a DVD player with divx compatability you'll be able to fit loads of movies(around 8 hours) onto 1 DVD as well as not having to encode.

Also it looks nicer than Mpeg-1 encoded videos but I'm not so sure whether it looks nice on a 37" plasma TV.

I just had a look on Ebay and they go for around $90, if you're burning loads of movies then it's worth getting.

posted by  fudge

That's fine if that's the only TV you're going to hook up to. But often you want to be able to share, and a VCD still plays in most newer DVD players (newer than about '98 or so).

posted by  ChrisV

ooooor you could drop the 100$ on a DVD burner...and go hard with that.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Your Message