slippery roads

Home  \  Off Topic  \  slippery roads

ok so comming home from work right now. I was able to take the mustang for the first time. It rained sorta so all the roads were wet while driving home. I pull up to the light just me and one other guy next to me and he takes off and then I go. Now I don't think I took off that fast, but sure enough the back end gave out on me and spun the car sideways. I stayed calm threw the wheel back making sure not to oversteer like some people and gained composure. I'll have to say sliding like that is pretty fricken awsome, but if there were cars around I probably would have hit someone because I "drifted" sideways in 2 lanes for quite some time.

posted by  salimander13

That's why I love RWD cars...Oh, and you aint lived till you've drifted a Ford Transit.....a little tricky given it's size a 'live rear axle' but it's satisfying lol. The Ford Focus is quite good at it, too. Even though It's FWD, you sure can get the back end out....ya just have to work the steering wheel a little harder than usual lol :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Almost every time it rains my Camry skids at lights when I accelerate. :screwy:

posted by  StiMan

Mine does too. Especially when im on the paint. Sometimes I do it on purpose tho :mrgreen:

posted by  newyorker

Lol... I dont usually. Most of the time I dont hear it so much as feel it... the whole car shakes when the front tires loose traction.

posted by  StiMan

New tires? I remember with my baldies they did that like crazy and hydroplaned nice as shit too but with my new yokos they do it very little.

posted by  newyorker

The front ones may be getting kinda tired, but I dont think I can get great traction anyways if they were new because they are skinny little economy tires. No way I could get Yokos or anything-- parents. Really its fine with me. I am not too keen on getting a ticket/ or anything that could be bad for my record/ insurance.

posted by  StiMan

I don't know how to accelerate that fast with manual. I tried it today and then stalled haha. Good thing no ones around.

posted by  salimander13

Dont really understand your logic there. You can get yoko in your size I bet. I got them for my 185-65R14 wheels on tirerack. Just because your wheels are smaller or not as "performance" designed doesnt mean you are limited to shitty products.

posted by  newyorker

Once you let out the clutch in the gear just step on it, and then let it go, shift, drop the clutch and floor it again. Simple enough untill you learn to balance both and get really fast starts.

posted by  newyorker

ok I have a few quewstions about manual. When in first going into second do you have to equalize the clutch and gas like from stop to first gear?

posted by  salimander13

No, bro, you didnt understand me. I cant supe up my car-- parents wont let me. (I live at home remember)

posted by  StiMan

So get OEM sized yokohamas. I live at home too so what.

posted by  newyorker

I dont think so.

posted by  newyorker

Frankley I have no need. So I skid abit, I think I just need to tone down starts when its wet. Im 16, I dont need to have more grip at starts-- could make me more likely to want to push my accelerations and race. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Yes, but if you need to make a sudden stop, having more performance oriented tires (not slicks of course) really can help you. The thing with performance tires is that there is more rubber on the ground.
Lets say that this is your conventional tire.
http://safercar.gov/Tires/images/Tire-Picture100.jpg
And lets have this be your more performance oriented tire.
http://www.performancetyres.com/Performance_Tires_Porsche-GForce_KDW_Enlarg ed.jpg
Now I know what you might say..."those tires only come on low profile cars. But lets look further. From your sig I assume your Camry is a 99ish. So I will now go to TireRack and get you photos of what is available for your car.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/sumitomo/su_htr_h4_ci2_l.jpg
This is for your car in your size. For $49 a piece they are H rated (meaning overall better performance and higher speed capability). Not saying that you will use it, but at normal driving, they will perform better than these next tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/dunlop/du_sp40_as_ci2_l.jpg
In the first tire, there are bigger cuts (this is used to keep more airflow and keep the tire nice and cool to precent overhating and a possible blowout). Also the first tire has more rubber to the ground, so this means better cornering (performance or otherwise). The issue of safety here is that the performance tires have more rubber to the ground, so if you need to make a sudden stop to avoid an accident, you know they wont give out on you and skid. This is just one of the things you should discuss with your parents before getting new tires. Performance tires/brakes are designed for higher needs, but will perform better with regular driving than your standard OEM replacement part.
P.S. Keeping your tires cool will ultimately prevent one of these
http://www.gypsyjournal.net/tire%20blowout%202.jpg

posted by  newyorker

I agree, StiMan, You could argue with your parents and say that decent tyres aren't a form of souping your car up......just a safety measure lol

No, not unless you shift gear far too early, anyway. Yes, it requires more clutch control thsn say if you were shifting from 4th to 5th, but not a great deal more :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message