Alright so i started playing the guitar!!!

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Alright so i started playing the guitar!!!

Alright so my school has block scheduling...and as much as i do honestly like it they are getting rid of it and this is the last year. THe thing that sucks about it is that it royaly ****s over the juniors (ME!!!) with scheduling and stuff. The plus is that they added like a entire load of cool classes. One of the classes i took was guitar for intermediates. It's like we were supposed to take beginner guitar at 8th grade or something and now this is like the second class to that. Well if anyone remembers music class in 8th grade...yea that was total bs. So i'm pretty excited about this class because the teacher is THE MAN!!! he is sweet. Basically this class is just us gonna be bringing guitars to school and us just playing and getting better THE ENTIRE YEAR!!! well...i realized after i signed up that i don't play the guitar :laughing: ...so my friends are like getting me in to it and i just have to say I LOVE THE GUITAR!!! i swear it is so much fun...i completetly suck but i think i'll be able to get the hang of it... my friend lent me his guitar and amp... as much as i appreciate it the guitar ****ing sucks and sounds awful!...which makes it that much more fun when i get a sweet sound out of it. SO if anyone is selling or know where i can get a sweet hook-up with an electric guitar send it my way. Oh and please tell me if you play the guitar and that it gets better and easier later along also advise would be great too! thank you all!

posted by  95civicdima

Congrats...musical talents skipped a generation in my family, excepts for my sister :laughing:

I've got a couple of friends who play the guitar, and they say it's pretty easy...

What kind of guitar?

posted by  chris_knows

Right now electric... i ****ing love hearing the sound come out...i might practice on the acoustic just to get better faster but i'm looking for an electric for me

posted by  95civicdima

Guitar Riffs to Learn:

Deep Purple - Smoke on the water
Nirvana - Come as you are
The White Stripes - 7 Nation Army
Green Day - When I come around

.. that's all the easy ones I can think of off the top of my head that are uber recognisable.

posted by  windsonian

Man you sure post a lot of off topic things here lol. I tried guitar. Im not good with instruments. Cant really coordinate on many things at a time

posted by  newyorker

The guitar is ultra fun.
of course the banjo is better:thumbs:
Your probly into more modern music but I can still give tips.
when your practice only play hard stuff in fact go out of your way and play things that you will struggle at. Then when you go to play easier stuff its much easier. So when a girl walks by you can play something fairly simple but sounds cool and play it flawless. Musical talent is a babe magnet. Also practice your chords till yoru fingers bleed till you know everyone from A- to e7

posted by  Aondor

just stick with it

posted by  Aondor

After a little while it playing just becomes second nature. Punk is pretty much the easiest type of music I've ever played. It's fast, but one you get comfortable with the power chord formation, it'll be a piece of cake. Of course once you get better you're going to want to get into some more complex stuff, so learning guitar (or any instrument other than Kazoo) will never be a walk in the park. As far as getting a good deal, check ebay and harmony-central.com. If you look around long enough you'll stumble across some good deals. Just keep practicing!

posted by  giant016

Alright the guitar. Something really fun to play is the e chord. Try learning tabs and this will help you out. I would explain but it may take a while to get through all of it well I'll explain the simplistic pieces. Tabs are an easier method to reading music basically it tells you which fret to put your finger on at which time. A tab bar would look like this:

|------------
|------------
|------------
|------------
|------------
|------------

The top line is the the high string or the bottom e string on the guitar and the bottom would be the low e. Now lets learn the E chord with this. Here is the E chord using tabs:

|-----------
|-----------
|--1--------
|--2--------
|--2--------
|-----------

When the fret play stays on top of eachother there all struck together as in other songs they will be apart and then you pluck each of those strings seperately.Go to http://mxtabs.net and check out there lessons and the have a huge number of songs tabbed out for you. Depending on your music preference I would suggest to learn his latest flame by elvis on an acoustic. Other than that have fun with it. I've been playing for a while and the best thing to do is practice. On buying a guitar I would say for a starter like yourself a nice squier stratocaster should keep you content for now until you find you like it more and more and invest into a nicer guitar like a les paul or anything else. For an amp I would say a little 30 watt cause they put out some power for just practicing. :thumbs:

posted by  Spanky2324

Yea i'm learning tabs as most people know this is the way to go. I'm more into rock. I have a friends guitar right now it is of probably the worst quality :mrgreen: but that's just practice. I have a friend hooking me up a GREAT DEAL from what i've hurd. ANyone else play guitar that want to share?

posted by  95civicdima

Hope it goes well for ya!....I've never been able to play an instrument......always seemed abit daunting, too much to learn! lol :ohcrap:

Hey, if it wasn't for people like 'civicdima' the OT section woul eventually die out....:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

You forget Smells Like Teen Spirit.

posted by  jedimario

Congrats man, good luck! I bought an electric guitar and amp off of a friend last summer but haven't really tried playing it yet (I want to learn though).

posted by  car_crazy89

Then again greek posts everything he sees. Some things however, I rather enjoy....like the 3 chicks with the car :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

Yea this is so much fun... I recommend everyone trying. If you are afraid of not being able to take it from someone who's in day 2 of it. A LOT OF FUGGIN! FUN!! I mean tabs are great that's what i've learn to read. If you are just starting out do what i did and ask a few friends on things you can warm up with. Like drills. That's what i basically do and you see results INSTANTLY! I'm getting a ibanez rg120 off of a friend. He got it 3 years ago, and i'll be checking it out tomorrow (02/23/06). Anyone know good sites for drills to do to get better and fingure shiz and exercises?

posted by  95civicdima

my friend is starting to play the guitar and one of the exercises he does is he uses the grip master whenever he has some freetime to help build his finger strength and speed.

posted by  salimander13

Been told this is a good site: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ I think it has ranks on difficulty for some of the songs.... there's a lot to choose from.

posted by  car_crazy89

My stepson is 13 and picking up guitar (he already plays trumpet and french horn). I got him a cheap Jay Turner strat copy, a small Marshall practice amp, and a couple of BOSS effects pedals. My wife plays an Ovation acoustic/electric (acoustic may be easier to hear, but it's harder to play as the string action is necessarily heavier).

You can get into a cheap Fender Squire strat copy and Fender amp package for cheap at a local music store, or you can go through Musician's Friend, my favorite online/catalog source.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?N=100001+306243

I played a little guitar years ago. I've been thinking about picking up a bass kit to play with them, but I already have keyboards.

posted by  ChrisV

Start learning simple chord progressions and scales
www.chordbook.com

Try this chord progression
C - Am(inor) - F - G

F is a hard chord to bar as a beginner so just try and hit 3 or four string from the top or bottom.

Also learn the C major scale and the A minor penatonic scale.
The A minor penatonic can be played over the top of the aforementioned chord progression if you have 2 people (rythym takes the chords and lead takes the scale). It is hella fun if you are just starting out. And of course like everyone else said, learn power chords.:thumbs: GL.

posted by  VG30DE

I play tabs not notes. I figured it would just be easier to do it that way.

posted by  95civicdima

Learn the chords and scales by way of tableture. Don't really worry about what the individual notes are. But you need to learn the tabs of the scales and chords. Even if your music doesn't call for it, your fingers need it.

posted by  VG30DE

I've been playing for 2 years, I think I'm getting an Ibanez sa160 for my bday today

Good luck

posted by  TurboLag

would you be able to send me a few websites or some good sources like books or something of like excercises and just drills i can do to help myself get better? I appreciate the help too thanks.

That's cool i just got myself a RG120 Ibanez and i love it... i'll post a picture later

posted by  95civicdima

Your Message