Interesting Information/ Science

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Interesting Information/ Science

i have learned something new today that i found was quite interesting and i would have never thought that it was true. (i will go with the good old "did you know..." format)
Did you know that to make the ground pounding sound(haha, unintended rhyme), an average 12" sub emits a 6-8' tall sound wave. i dont know about any of you... but 8' is pretty f@#%ing big. and the wave doesnt stop when it reaches your body, it just goes right straight through it. if the noise becomes loud enough, it will litteraly make your eardrums bleed. now you know why when you are sitting in your car, blasting your 12" sub, your earwax seems to be melting right out of your head. :thumbs: gotta love the information that you can learn in science:wink2:

posted by  starscream0

Pretty crazy:drool: :drool:

posted by  chris_knows

hehe, i think im gonna add something else to this too.

i heard it from some old friend of my mom's, dunno if its true but it really got my curiosity (maybe someone knows if its a fact or a myth, go mythbusters!!!)

supposedly, if ur in a car with powerful enough subs, and u use them to a high enough level constantly, after some time (may be months, years, who knows) the heart will get weaker cuz the waves from the subs are probably ruining its rythm. so eventually, according to wat he said, the heart will try get weaker and try to let the waves push it by themselves..... which will soon enough kill ya.

u know, he told me this around.... 3 or 4 years ago and i never even bothered confirming it.... would be happy to know if its true.

posted by  Inygknok

It could be possible...if theres a resonance frequency to the heart....that's how you get some of the hardest "gut feeling" bass..also how you could shatter a wineglass with sound...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Everything has a characteristic frequency at which it vibrates. When sound waves at that frequency are directed at the object, the waves merge with the vibrations of the object, intensifying them until the object is ripped apart

http://cee.carleton.ca/Exhibits/Tacoma_Narrows/TacomaNarrowsBridge.mpg
That is what wind can do

posted by  Voda48

Your Message