The chances of life just went up

Home  \  Off Topic  \  The chances of life just went up

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11736311/
:rock: :banana:

posted by  TheFieroKid

I remember when Cassini first got there, and dropped Huygen's on some other moon...that was overrated lol, but this does sound pretty cool, now we just have to find a way to get to Saturn in under 15 years :laughing:

BTW didn't they find water on the Moon or Mars or something? lol

posted by  chris_knows

Mars has frozen polar caps... but satern has another ice moon that they think has liquid water under its surface... but obviously this one does... so if this one does theres a good chance the other one does too.

posted by  TheFieroKid

hmmmmmmmmmm yaaaaaaaaaaaa. but there is still no Life.:ohcrap:

posted by  stevenbob0

when i read the title i ment you were talking about surviving cancer or something...

oh well... just looking for moon aliens...

posted by  pik_d

I can almost guarantee that within 10 years we will have made contact with extraterrestrial life...I saw this guy on Discovery channel who looks for aliens, and he said that, so I feel pretty sure about it :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

either your a very religous man... or a class is half empty kind of guy.

posted by  TheFieroKid

I don't know, I guess I just really don't care about it. So what if we find one cell organisms beneath Enceladus' surface. What's that going to do for us and all of humanity. Now if there were little munchkins with light sabers up there battling the Death Star. That would get me pumped (especially if they had cool cars):hi: :hi: :hi:

posted by  stevenbob0

Wait, you had that vision too? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

well, if we found life there, that'd throw a monkey wrench in the whole christian "God created all life here on earth" bussiness. that's what it would do to/for humanity.

posted by  pik_d

:stupid:

My beleif that life won't be found on another planet is purely based on scientific eveidence, not religion, btw.

posted by  jedimario

yay JK....

posted by  TheFieroKid

ya right... what makes you think that a plantiod with water, heat and organic material wont support life?

posted by  TheFieroKid

that's not at all what he said...

"planet that can support life" is NOT the same as "we will find there"

posted by  pik_d

Ya maybe but I don't think that one cell organisms is going to make anybody not believe. It would have to take something with a soul to start making people question things like a human

But God could created a animal on another planet

posted by  stevenbob0

That just raises more questions though, like who created God, and who created the thing that created God, and so on...we've been over this before lol

posted by  chris_knows

saying "but you never know ......" doesn't really disprove anything.

i'm just pointing out that if life was found, it would mess with the creation-evolution-whatever argument.

posted by  pik_d

only if it has a soul. that woud mess thing up.

posted by  stevenbob0

thank god... in my eyes itd put it to rest... the bible never mentions a moon in our solar system... i mean if god had created life there wouldnt he have mentioned it?

posted by  TheFieroKid

how do you know we have a soul? how do you measure a soul? if we found beings of comparable intelligence to our selfs? would you just say oh they dont have a soul?

posted by  TheFieroKid

TheFieroKid- thank god what, specifically? didja think i was gonna go all anti-religion or somethin?

posted by  pik_d

ok heres the deal ill just post up what the dictionary has to say

1. The spiritual, rational, and immortal part in man; that part of man which enables him to think, and which renders him a subject of moral government; -- sometimes, in distinction from the higher nature, or spirit, of man, the so-called animal soul, that is, the seat of life, the sensitive affections and phantasy, exclusive of the voluntary and rational powers; -- sometimes, in distinction from the mind, the moral and emotional part of man's nature, the seat of feeling, in distinction from intellect; -- sometimes, the intellect only; the understanding; the seat of knowledge, as distinguished from feeling. In a more general sense, "an animating, separable, surviving entity, the vehicle of individual personal existence." Tylor. "The eyes of our souls only then begin to see, when our bodily eyes are closing." Law.
2. The seat of real life or vitality; the source of action; the animating or essential part. "The hidden soul of harmony." Milton. "Thou sun, of this great world both eye and soul." Milton.
3. The leader; the inspirer; the moving spirit; the heart; as, the soul of an enterprise; an able gemeral is the soul of his army. "He is the very soul of bounty!" Shak.
4. Energy; courage; spirit; fervor; affection, or any other noble manifestation of the heart or moral nature; inherent power or goodness. "That he wants algebra he must confess; But not a soul to give our arms success." Young.
5. A human being; a person; -- a familiar appellation, usually with a qualifying epithet; as, poor soul. "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Prov. xxv. 25. "God forbid so many simple souls Should perish by the aword!" Shak. "Now mistress Gilpin (careful soul)." Cowper.
6. A pure or disembodied spirit. "That to his only Son . . . every soul in heaven Shall bend the knee." Milton.
^ Soul is used in the formation of numerous compounds, most of which are of obvious signification; as, soul-betraying, soul-consuming, soul-destroying, soul-distracting, soul-enfeebling, soul-exalting, soul-felt, soul-harrowing, soul-piercing, soul-quickening, soul-reviving, soul-stirring, soul-subduing, soul-withering, etc.

as you can see the soul is the like your conshents (however you spell it). Its there but its not if you know what I mean. You cant measur it you cant see it but its there.

posted by  stevenbob0

no, I was just saying thank goodness it would spark conversation

posted by  TheFieroKid

This has gotten pretty off topic, so I'll ask something, does anybody here believe in the Bible code, or whatever it's called, where some scientists hacked the Bible, and found secret codes that tell the future, and stuff, like Saddam Hussein, 9/11, etc...

What it is is there's some program that you type key words into, and then the program searches for a pattern in there, like "end of the world" and every 147 characters would be the letters from the word/phrase and then if you continue on through the Bible using that pattern, it will say something related to it...

:screwy:

posted by  chris_knows

well this is so vague that you can throw it on basically anything significant that happens I mean thats like nostradamus or however spelled. He was a prophet that predicted 9/11. Then again he wrote thousands of these predictions.

posted by  salimander13

so if the beings have a conscience and know whats right and wrong youll say they have a soul? that makes no sence.

posted by  TheFieroKid

i cannot see this ending well...

stevenbob0- if a person was removed from society, and had no human interaction, would they still have a soul?

if a person was removed from society, and had no human interaction, would they have a feeling for what is "right" and "wrong", and ultimately, a conscience?

think about how those two questions relate to each other, and your lengthy, and ultimately flawed, post.

aww... thefierokid kinda beat me too it. bastard.

posted by  pik_d

Personally I truly believe that there is other life out there (whatever it may be, or how big/small it is). They say there's all these other planets and solar systems with more planets and what not out there, so how could it be that ONE planet (Earth) in a MILLION other planets (I know there's probably more, but you get the point) has life, there's got to be more planets kind of like ours no matter what the Bible may or may not say.

Hope that makes sense, as it's kind of hard to explain in typing rather the talking..

posted by  car_crazy89

LoL

I know exactly what you mean. I wish i could talk to all of you guys. It would be so much easier to explain.

posted by  stevenbob0

It's like that in anything though, verbal/physical communication is the best kind (as you then hear the tone and see the gestures to help understand the picture, with writing it's just like.. there).

posted by  car_crazy89

We already have silly. His name is Michael. Michael Jackson. :thumbs:

posted by  97Talonchik

nooooo, the government just transmuted him into an alien... dont you know anything? :ohcrap:

posted by  pik_d

If you say so...lol. I stick by my sentence. :laughing:

posted by  97Talonchik

pfft, we have visual proof of his long term transmutations...

whatcha doin up so late anyway? dont people still do that work thing after college?

posted by  pik_d

oh yeah...I meant to post a thread about work, lol. Check there. Yes, but I can't sleep. I need to go to bed. :doh:

posted by  97Talonchik

*is confused*

check where? :screwy:

posted by  pik_d

What do you mean by heat? Things get hot because the molecules in them start vibrating faster and faster, so using this, you could define heat as any temperature that isn't 0 Kelvin(absolute 0). I believe I'm right about the whole vibration thing, I'm too lazy to go look it up in my chemistry book right now :laughing:

Also, what exactly do you mean by organic material?

posted by  jedimario

Heat coming from the center of the planetoid, like molten rock… its obvious because geysers are caused when water is heated by a volcano and it rises and erupts!

And I’m not sure about the organic material they weren’t specific on that in the article…

If you want to know what kind of life could be there.. take a look right here on earth at the deep see heat plumes, where all sorts of life is, miles under the waters surface where no light or heat form the sun reaches.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Ok, I'll give ya that, but even then, life had to get there somehow in the first place. How'd that happen?

posted by  jedimario

Same way life started here, random proteins mixed to create primitive dna and it evolved from thereā€¦ all this would prove is that earth was not a fluke.

posted by  TheFieroKid

But why would He if this was the only abode? Why make the planets at all, and not just dots in the sky?

But no, I don't think that finding life on other planets will dissuade anyone, as realizing that the universe didn't rotate around the earth didn't, and finding that the dots in the sky are stars and planets didn't.

Why woudn't there be life on other planets, if He put planets out there? It'd be a royal waste.

posted by  ChrisV

But what about all that lightning and methane gas and whatnot. Does this moon have an atmosphere?

posted by  jedimario

Yes this moon has to have some form of atmosphere, if you recall from chem. Water at lower pressures will boil at lower temps, so if there was no atmosphere the water on the moon would be a gas.

Now, if you recall from bio, water based life forms take in air from the water, through passages known as gills… so if you again recall from chem. Water is made up of 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen.

Now put all this together and you have the basic building blocks for life, Water, heat, air, probably basic proteins (or other organic material)… so your basic assumption should be that aquatic life should be able to be supported on this moon. And when we go there we will find this hypothesis to be true… and the life we find will be the most unique and strange we have ever seen… because it’ll be life that evolved on another planet… and that’s damn cool! And a thousand year old question that man has been asking him self since he first stared up at the stars “are we alone?” will be answered

posted by  TheFieroKid

I dont have dial up why did it double post me? lol

posted by  TheFieroKid

Your Message