Is my mechanic ripping me off?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Is my mechanic ripping me off?

I just picked up ther breeze from the mechanic and I spent 700 having my fuel pump and filter replaced.
Now i know part of the fees were the tow truck and storage fees cause i had to leave it there like 2 weeks to have enough to pay for it.

But lower ball joints need to be replaced, and he wants 700 to replace both the control arms... does this sound like the right price? cause I know I can pick up control arms for 130 each, and have the job done my self for just a couple hundred bucks, but the problem is im not that great a mechanic and itd probably take me 8 hours just to do one.

Advice guys?

posted by  TheFieroKid

well im 15 and have never dealt with a garage mechanic etc,

but to me, 700 dollars for a fuel pump and fuel filter replacement sounds like a little bit too much:2cents:

thats just what I think...

posted by  nighthawk

fuel pump was only 500... most of that was a 75 buck towing fee and 125 in storage fees.
The 500 included fuel pump, fuel filter, and labor.

posted by  TheFieroKid

you werent being ripped off,

but those parts are a bit expensive,
someone really smart should post and help you out:laughing:
g2g 2 school now, lol

posted by  nighthawk

It depends alot, on how long the fuel pump etc took to fit. if you took say, 2hrs labour off that $500 you'll probably be looking at closer to $300 for the parts, probably $250 for the pump....still sounds maybe a bit too steep, but it's been put into proportion a bit now!

posted by  Cliffy

Fuel pumps are quite expensive. I know we just replaced one in my Ranger and it cost me 110 bucks (I get discounts cause Im a mechanic:mrgreen: ) but it would've gone for close to 250 for a customer. Not to mention the 30 minutes it took me to drop the gas tank alone (I hate rust!). I probably replaced the actual pump in less than 5-10 minutes but getting the tank back up, connecting the wires and hoses, putting the tank straps back on, and the heat sheild (Which I just said **** it), it takes a while to do. The filter on the other hand, is a driveway job. I've done so many and seen filters that were so clogged, when the gas came out of the out side, it was black. I get control arms for my Pontiac for about 45 each with replacement bushings. And that's not my cost. Lower ball joints, well, can't say I've done enough of those to know what they cost ballpark.

posted by  Satty101

Well depending how long you're willing to wait for an answer, I could possibly find out at my Coop placement, but that wouldn't be till monday...

posted by  car_crazy89

oh ya take your time... i dotn plan on fixing the control arms for a week or so anyway.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Alright, I don't think it'll make a difference that I'm in Canada lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

i still find $250 for a fuel pump way too expensive..... and it shouldnt take that long to swap it out.

posted by  Inygknok

What about the control arms guys?
Ive already paid for the fuel pump so it doesnt matter bitching about over paying for it now... I have control over who I take it to for the contol arms... so thats whats important.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Your Message