science project?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  science project?

ok so being the good guy that I am:doh: I'm trying to help out my friend. He is suppose to make a boat in woodshop class with a square foot of wood and I believe 5 rubberbands (It might be 4). The winner of this 50 foot water race gets 4 weeks of extra credit. His teacher is using a pontoon style boat, but I was think it gives stability, but it would slow the boat down. I was thinking about a boat that is long and sleek. A boat that even if it goes underwater it can still run strong (like a torpedo), but I can't figure out an efficient design for the motor so that all the rubberbands won't waste the energy in one huge blast...so guys any ideas?

posted by  salimander13

What if the rubber bands were to work in parallel, like one goes then when it finishes the next one is triggered and so on...not sure how you'd rig it though, maybe some sort of timer? :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

I don't think a timer will work since its only made of wood and rubberbands....It would have to be more like a chain reaction/domino effect, but I don't know how to rig that.

posted by  salimander13

cant he just make a putput boat? :mrgreen:

posted by  Inygknok

Install a tiny and almost completely hidden motor. :laughing: But that would be dumb.

posted by  thermo

a square foot of wood? what kind of wood, and how thick is the board? what other materials can you use? (metal axle? screws?)

i dunno... carve some pieces into fan blades, carve out a piece to hold them togeather, and make a freakin rubber band motor out of pure wood. use all 4 rubber bands in conjunction. it'll work out. go all balls out.

posted by  pik_d

Your Message