police scanners

Home  \  Off Topic  \  police scanners

Do any of you guys have police scanners. If you do what typ do you have and do you like it.

I want to buy one pretty soon here but have no idea what to look for.

posted by  stevenbob0

I've heard good about the Passport 8500 X50...no experience with any of them though :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

are u talking about police scanners or radar detectors??? I have the Passport 8500 XR 50 radar detector and i am happy with it. Although in most parking lots still is a pain in the ass. That the best one on the market and retail on it is $300. pm if u have any question... i was selling mine before but then i decided not too... if u want it make me an offer...
ps. since i live in the chicagoland area too i could get it too u fast.

posted by  V-Tec

I'M talking about police scanners

posted by  stevenbob0

If you're going to purchase a scanner, I highly recommend finding an older one that is more easily modifiable for recieving additional frequencies. Some time in the mid '90's when cell phones were becoming popular, the FCC changed the rules as to which freqs a scanner was allowed to pick up. I am not a radio expert, but do know that both of mine have been tweaked to get the full range available, including mobile and cordless phones. I have also been led to believe that it's illegal to modify newer ones to do the same.

My scanners are both mid '90's (purchased as discontinued items about ten years ago) Radio Shack models, although I'm not sure of the model numbers. One base, one mobile, I can listen to ANYTHING on the air. Cops, fire & rescue, the guys on the flightline at the air base near me, cell phones, my next door neighbor, etc. Be aware that in some states, it's been made illegal to carry a mobile scanner in your car.

posted by  vwhobo

0_0 whoa, that's pretty scary. How hard would it be to pick out a phone conversation?

posted by  jedimario

Phones, whether mobile or cordless, operate on a fairly narrow (but different) range of frequencies. My mobile scanner can scan about 600 freqs per minute. If I chose to find a call I could, but without knowing what's being said, I have no way to identify the call I'm looking for. Make sense?

On the other hand I have randomly come across people making plans to cheat on their spouse or just talking dirty. Sometimes you can even get addresses and phone numbers. It's good for a laugh, and scary what pepole will say on the phone.

posted by  vwhobo

How do you modify it? Is it hard? and why can you do it to the new stuff

And were would i get a old one. Ebay dosnt even have them

posted by  stevenbob0

1. By paying someone who is an expert to do so.

2. As simple as taking cash out of your walet.

3. Why can't? Ask the FCC.

posted by  vwhobo

oooooooooooo so you dont know how to do it. that stinks:banghead:

posted by  stevenbob0

You guys are so lucky...scanners are illegal in Ontario :banghead:

posted by  chris_knows

this may bea dumb question, im not sure

but why would you want one of these?

im guessing to see how fast something is travelling?

posted by  nighthawk

no not a radar gun, a radio frequency scanner, for spying on conversations:thumbs:

posted by  Bubba

ohhhhhhhhh lol

i wouldnt mind havin one myself:laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

They're used to detect the frequency from police speed guns, and start beeping when they do, so you can slow down...But some will go off near buildings and stuff where there are no cops, and some officers turn their guns on right at the last second...

Wait I just figured something out, hobo, since you have scanners, does that mean you speed (ie do something illegal?) :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Ya'll just don't get it. These are not radar detectors, they are for listening to conversations between police(car to car, base to car, etc.) Same for fire dept, air traffic,race cars at the track etc. etc.
They can also pick up cell phone,and cordless phone frequencies,

posted by  thefonz

Ding ding ding! we have a winner!:laughing: :thumbs:

posted by  Bubba

Yes, I guess you are the real winner, but they don't seem to be listening.

posted by  thefonz

I read it, and learned something from there, but what was I thinking of? lol

posted by  chris_knows

Just i case anybody wanted to know. You can get unblocked Police scanners
(the well pick up cell phone calls) from Europe or just about any foreign country.:hi: :hi: :hi:

posted by  stevenbob0

Your Message