Picking Up The Tab

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Picking Up The Tab

You're headed out to Olive Garden with a few of your old friends. The food's good at the place, and you've been here enough to be known by your favorite waitress (who knows you as the best tipper in town). Food's good, as always. Now, as the bill comes around, it comes to $136.89. You, being the collegian-graduate M.D that you are, make more money than you know what to do with. Your friend's jobs consist of: ex-marine, computer technician at the local computer shop, waiter, secretary, journalist, and accountant. None of them currently make a 'comfortable' living.

So, do you, as the resident rich guy, pick up the entire tab and $30 tip? Or do you break it down and everyone pay the amount that they ate?

posted by  Godlaus

It all depends on why we went out and who's idea it was. Most likely I pick up the tab, which I do 99.9% of the time anyway, and possibly let them split a tip. Then I'm usually not satisfied with the tip, especially at a resturant I frequent, and drop some more bills on top to make it right.

Something about being a type A personality.

posted by  vwhobo

That's a bit tricky, because it's kinda like showing off if you pay the whole thing, but then if you split it, they might think you're cheap...IMO it comes down to how close you are, and whether they know you're making that much...Also it would depend on whether you guys went out just for the hell of it, or to celebrate...Usually when I go out with friends we'll either split the tab, or take turns paying (i.e. One time one person, then the next time someone else)...But then again, most of us make pretty much the same (~0 :laughing: ) :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

It depends on the occasion and who invited whom. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

I guess a more important question to me is, aren't there any GOOD resturants to go to instead of Olive Garden?

posted by  vwhobo

Eh, supposedly, but I've found that they make the best italian around here.

Only been to 3 or 4 other italian places, though.

posted by  Godlaus

whats a type A personality?

also I agree with elchango with who invited whom, if you invited them then you should pick it up.

posted by  salimander13

My friends and I switch between who picks up the tab.

Godlaus, is there not a Carrabas there? :drool:

posted by  97Talonchik

Unless I was "formally" invited to the thing, I'd probably pay for the whole thing if I knew it'd be a bit hard on my friends but not very much to me.

posted by  jedimario

the best italian restaurants are the mom and pop ones....where the owners came from italy... we have one here - Casa Italia...

anyways, I would say pick up the tab, you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, it's not going to hurt you, and if your friends know you have money, it doesn't hurt them either. Just don't let them ride your ass like a keg until they tap you dry. Make them pay their share on a bar night...

posted by  dodgerforlife

when your super super cheap as I am you throw down for waht you payed for and a tip and rush out the door.
But then again you make a fair amount of money I srub floors and comodes 60 hours a week.

posted by  Aondor

Gee, if I scrubbed crappers all day, the last thing I'd want to do is eat. You must really like your job to work 60 hours a week. I guess it's the sh*t.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message