Wireless Router...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Wireless Router...

I've spent the entire afternoon trying to encrypt a wireless router (D-Link DI-524) due to some recent problems. So far I've been able to encrypt it (64-bit), and whenever I open "Network Connections" the encrypted network shows up, but when I try to connect to it, I'll type in the WEP key, and it will try to connect for about 3 minutes, when all of a sudden, the "connecting" window closes, and it's like nothing has happened. I've tried all of my H/-\><0r and 1337 skillz, but they haven't helped...I think I covered everything there.
If anyone can offer any advice, it would be appreciated :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Ahh... wireless routers.. love those rotten things...:doh:

Just for starters the 64 bit key that you're putting in to the wireless connection looks something like this right? 10 digit mix of letters and numbers

327B0E7F61

and it is case sensitve so check that too..

If that doesn't work, try changing the SSID and the broadcast channel. tell me what happens w/ that and i'll see what else i can do

I'm guessing you have been able to connect to this before?

posted by  Bubba

It's a 10 digit key (Hex) but I made it up, and I've typed it exactly as I made it up.

How would I change the SSID/Broadcast Channel? lol

I've had the router for about 4-5 months, but without any encryption, so to connect, you just had to be within it's range.

posted by  chris_knows

Is there an advantage given to the customer if he/she encrypts his/her wireless router?

posted by  What?

When you encrypt it, it's like setting a password so that only people that you want to use it can use it...And apparently, someone in my neighbourhood has been spamming e-mails from my ISP (like tens of thousands of e-mails :ohcrap: )...

posted by  chris_knows

Why don't you just buy a regular router if the comps arent too far apart(like the next room over or something) and run the cable through the wall.

posted by  Spanky2324

Ok lets see... i dont know this router so well, because i'm more of a linksys person myself.

Umm.. Go into the router setup thing by entering 192.168.0.1, put in your username and password, default is admin/admin and i suppose you click on wireless Button on the right side, and then tell me what the tabs are that appear up top :thumbs:

posted by  Bubba

That's what I had to go through to put the encryption in lol, and to get that IP to work, I have to be connected to the router, which if I am, then I don't get internet :laughing: It's pretty messed up lol

Spanky, I actually have a normal router from about 2 years ago for XBOX Live, but I can't use it because it's for 2 laptops and a dekstop PC :ohcrap:

Can't call customer suppport either, because it's a +1 hour wait lol

posted by  chris_knows

hmm....k Alright just for starters, lose the encryption and then try to connect again, lets just isolate the problem and make sure it is encryption related.

posted by  Bubba

How do I de-encrypt it? lol :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

Nevermind, turns out their website gave the wrong instructions, and it was supposed to be an Open-System encryption, instead of Shared-Key.

Thanks for the help though :thumbs:

BTW Instead of starting a new thread, does anyone know what their bandwidth limits are?...Because I just found mine out the other day, and it's 25 gigabytes. Am I addicted to torrents or does my ISP just suck? lol

posted by  chris_knows

25 Gig is average i believe for bandwidth limits

posted by  Bubba

Hi Chris. I have a D-Link too, with WEP 128-bit encryption, and it goes OK.
Try to get back to previous configuration (without encryption). Save changes, change SSID name and reset the router. When it works again, try configuring WEP 128 (26 digit key). If that doesn't work, try with WPA (text password) instead.

I would also change the IP address of the router. Try with something not common for routers, such as 192.168.164.96. For extra security you can disable DHCP server and configure your own wifi card with 192.168.164.101 IP address and 192.168.164.96 as gateway. DNS same as GW.

Then you can add MAC access filter. In that way, you network will be safer (although if someone has time enough for sniffing it, it can be hacked it anyway...) What we have to do is getting things difficult to that people that uses our network without being allowed to.

Search for a new firmware too, but be pretty sure it corresponds to the very model of router you have. Maybe it could help.

Good luck.

posted by  flesh

My other wi-fi router is a Linksys and I have made the things you comment without any problem.

Regards.

posted by  flesh

I already figured it out lol, but thanks for the help :thumbs"

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message