Grounding a Capacitor

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Grounding a Capacitor

With my system I was going to go ahead and run a cap to make the load easier on my electrical system. When I ground the capacitor would it be ok to use the same grounding point that I have for my amplifier? Or should I get the capacitor it's own grounding point?

posted by  Metzger

I give this advice from my understanding of my Engineering Physics 2 class, not personal experience. Just be warned.

It may be a better idea to use a separate grounding point. Capacitors can store a lot of energy.

posted by  hondaman

In practice it all depends on the grounding point. If you're grounded to a 20 guage steel body panel for example than a seeperate ground is well advised. However, if your ground is directly to the engine block, again for example but unlikely for a cap ground, you can safely stack four or five grounds in one location.

posted by  vwhobo

seperate is safest. I dont think youd acually have a problem if you used the amp ground, but "better safe than sorry". Also, a cap wont fix the problem. If you're haveing that big of a problem with dimming and such, you need to upgrade the electrical system. You can get a 750 ca battery for about $60 at Wal-Mart and if you up your alternator/battery wireing system to 1/0 awg you should be fine. What are you trying to run? that might help.

posted by  davsmitty

There is currently no problem w/ my electrical system.. but as it was stated.. "better safe than sorry" . Thank you all for your input, it is will appreciated.

posted by  Metzger

A cap normally never gets the job done when it comes to getting rid of dimming voltage drop etc...

A better thing to do is upgrade the "Big 3" wires to thicker wire.

posted by  thunderbird1100

normally never?:laughing:

posted by  windsonian

Your Message