Just hanging out on Bourbon Street in New Orleans

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Just hanging out on Bourbon Street in New Orleans

..with my buddy Burt, when Charles Durning showed up. All I had was my phone's crappy camera, but Burt insisted. Never know who's going to show up here...

posted by  ChrisV

damn , i dunno who he is.....

posted by  nighthawk

Hahah... now thats funny....

posted by  boothe

hold on, you dont know who that is???????????? that is BURT RENOLDS! you know, the BANDIT, as in SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, as in the driver of the black 77 1/2 trans am with the gold bird on the hood!!!!

posted by  glagon1979

Charles Durning I believe his name was... lol

posted by  nighthawk

You're confusing Burt Reynolds and Charles Durning :laughing:...He's been on Family guy lol...Good guy :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

lol....I guess he got the first/sir names mixed up of each of the people...nevermind though lol. I didn't know who he was at first untill I searched Google for info.....wouldn't life be easier if everybody who didn't know something, searched Google?....but then, the R&M section would be dead I suppose :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

lol! Just hanging out this week in the French Quarter in N.O. Good times.

Charles Durning is one of the best character actors alive. Burt Reynolds is, well, Burt Reynolds. Cool guy to hang with.

I'll be home next saturday. Untill then, lots of Jumbalaya and beer. ;)

posted by  ChrisV

Tell Burt that Wally sends his regards and that his driving skills are crap.:mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

When were you down in NOLA?

I was just down there last two sundays ago. I normally go down once or twice a month from Baton Rouge.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I'm down here now, logging in from the Quarter House, on Chartres.

posted by  ChrisV

Holy crap!

I stayed at the Quarter House years and years ago. VERY nice hotel. We had a two-bedroom with california kings and bathrooms in each, a kitchen, a living room and everything was real nice. I forgot the price, something in the neighborhood of $300/night.

I'm right down the road from Bourbon. Know where Bienville St. is?

posted by  SyntheticTrust

Whoa! Do you really know someone famous? Are you someone famous, ChrisV? :hi:

posted by  JaneiR36

Wow... That's pretty sweet. If you've never seen one or either of the "the longest yards", stay at least an arms distance away from him:laughing: ...

SynT, You're still around? Wow I thought you left.
Damn, where have I been?
Just in case you've just arrived again;
WELCOME BACK TO CF!:thumbs:

...couldnt resist

posted by  TurboLag

Ok, I'm back from New Orleans, after spending a week there. The big thing that everyone there wanted me to remind everyone was that they have enough workers rebuilding. What they need is more staff at the businesses, and most imporantly, more tourists spending money to kickstart the economy. The tourist areas were barely touched by Katrina (the French Quarter didn't even flood. Those wily Fench, when they built that part back in the 1700s, it was actually above sea level...). The Garden District, as well as Loyola and Tulane, are doing fine, though there are some storm damaged buildings.

We drove around the river, up the "south" side from Algiers, up River Road halfway to Baton Rouge, and other than a few tarps, it looked pretty well untouched and undamaged, including the ages old plantation houses. Gorgeous.

Down the north side of the river, out St Claude street to the 9th Ward, however, was a different story. Arabi, Chalmette, Meraux areas were devastated. Mangled cars, boats, RVs, houses littered the area. Some homes were completely destroyed. Spotty power is there. The irony is that FEMA was giving out travel trailers for people with destroyed homes to live in. But they wouldn't give them to you unless you had power and water service, which much of the areas don't have. There are a lot of interesting T shirts with witty sayings for FEMA, too... (FEMA evacuation plan: "Run, Motherf*cker, Run!")

The north side of the city, from Metairie to Gentilly was heavily flooded and the buildings often have water marks fairly high up them. People are rebuilding, but most are gone. It's estimated that 2/3rds of the city is no longer there. For many, you simply can't blame them for getting out. But a lot of the city and surrounding area is surprisingly undamaged... The ones that stayed have a point: it's a port, one of the largest in North America. Most ports are at, well, sea level, or at least water level. And built on landfill. Hell, in Isabelle's storm surge, downtown Baltimore, at the top end of the Chesapeake Bay, was flooded, too.

We spent a lot of tourist money in the French Quarter, though. Had a blast in the jazz clubs, listened to some real Cajun music at the Opera House on Bourbon, had some private tours with the Haunted History folks (which meant hangin out with them after hours in the bar at Pirate's Alley, which isn't normally on the tour...). In fact, at Pirate's Alley, my wife and I, Brent from Haunted History, Armond Olivier, owner of Oliveir's Restaurant in the French Quarter, and Jodi the bartender were the only ones in there, so we got to learn a lot about the local feelings on the situation there. All in all, an amazing week. We'll definitely be going back.

Oh, and no, I don't know Burt Reynolds. He was just cool to hang out with at Maison Burboun while Jamil Sharif and his band were playing dixieland. Brut and Charles Durning were in town filming a movie and just chillin' after filming.

posted by  ChrisV

Yeah, the Quarter House is VERY nice. We had two adjoining units, with king bed, jacuzzi tub, kitchen and living room in each, so my stepson could have his "own" place while we were there. It's in our timeshare network, so it only cost us to get down there and whatever we spent on the town.

http://www.quarterhouse.com/

posted by  ChrisV

ChrisV livin' large:smoke:
Respekt, son.

What were u there for originally?

I hear Burt's pretty aggressive. I saw a clip of him bitch-slapping a cameraman for not knowing anything about the original "the longest yard"

posted by  TurboLag

Helping the rebuilding by spending tourist dollars. ;) I'd never been there. My wife had, and wanted to go back. We were going to go there last September, but that didnt' pan out, obviously. So we went there on my stepson's spring break. My wife wanted to show me teh garden district, Ann Rice's old house (and teh locations from ome of her books) and we wanted to really scope out the French Quarter and the Jazz history. The only things that suckes were that the Preservation Hall won't be open until the 28th, and Harry Anderson's new place, Oswalds, was having some electricity problems so we could only hang in the bar.

With paparazzi, ANY excuse to bitch-slap them is a good one. Sorry, HATE photogs bent on chasing celebs. He was a complete gentleman, and a pretty nice guy. Maybe it was that you can't really do much aggressive in a Jazz clubin the Big Easy...

posted by  ChrisV

lol im sure i woulda done the same, and I feel the same way about paparazzi. Chasin' celebrities everywhere they go and whatnot. Being mauled everywhere they went, no wonder the beatles "experimented" and became so weird for their time. They had nothing better to do lol.

posted by  TurboLag

Been there many times.

Did you ever catch the Natchez steam-boat playing it's "pre-cruise" tunes?

Yup. Got it on video right before boarding it for a river tour. Went below and watched the steam pistons at work. Pretty cool stuff!

posted by  ChrisV

I've never thought that a car could do this。

posted by  Montage777

Do what?

posted by  ChrisV

Yeah it's pretty neat seeing the engines below. MASSIVE! It's amazing they let you get so close.

Your Message