ICE question...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  ICE question...

... from an old dummy. This has been troubling me for quite some time. Why is it that you see so many cars with bazillion watt sound systems that also have what I like to call Tupperware interiors? You know, the ones that are all hard surfaces such as fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc. Doesn't that make for really terrible acoustics and sh*tty sound?

http://ndra.nopi.com/2k6gallery/az/CarShow/images/DSC_0274.jpg

posted by  vwhobo

I really don't know why people do it.
I find it extremely stupid. Why want a system so loud that your ears bleed? I guess thats "cool"...

I would think that the acoustics would suck. But hey, as long as it looks "cool" and it gets peoples attention, who needs a good sounding stereo anyway?

Kind of ironic, you spend so much money on a huge system and terrible acoustics, that the sound sucks. But at least you still "look cool"

I prefer my ears to not bleed and i'm fine with a stock system, as long as it doesnt totally suck. But thats just me:2cents:

posted by  TurboLag

I personally don't like it. The nicest interior I've even seen was on a 1996 Nissan 300ZX TT T-Top. It was pretty much like any 300ZX interior, except the whole thing was carpeted. I think that these "tupperware interiors" are flashy and a bit tacky, at best. And o yeah, most of them are just plain ugly.

posted by  jedimario

ive seen a few that look good too. But some people just get ridiculous with it. Some people base their whole car around their stereo. I thought cars were meant to be driven?

posted by  TurboLag

Perhaps you misunderstood. I said a carpeted 300ZX interior looked good, not one of these tupperware interiors.

posted by  jedimario

No I saw, I like carpeted interior.

I was saying that i dont like the "tupperware interiors"

I wasn't critisizing you.
Sorry for the misunderstanding
:thumbs:

posted by  TurboLag

When you see cars like that, you are seeing customs, where teh idea is to mold the interiors the way the exteriors of show cars are molded. Instead of a carpeted box that lookes tossed in, or a system that looks stock (which would get as much attention as a car that looked stock), it's all about how smooth, shiney, and in some cases, over-the-top wild looking you can make it. I wouldn't build one that way, but I can see why, just like I can see why '50s customs were made the way they were instead of being left stock looking.

And, as is typical with customs, the first few done like that were afirly mild, but soon, in an effor to one-up teh other show cars, they started getting much wilder. It isn't about sound quality, that's for teh IASCA people. It's about sculpture, or their expression of it.

For some people a car is an appliance that gets them from A to B. For others, it's a means of getting there faster. For yet others, it's a sculpture, an expression of their rolling art.

posted by  ChrisV

But you gotta admit, theres also those airheads that just want attention and don't do any work themselves.

posted by  TurboLag

In any endeavor, those are there. Hell, even top car builders ahve others do sections of the work. Not everyone can do bodywork, paint, graphics, upholstery, glass, and electrical work. So you farm some bits out that you can't do.

And for a lot of people that have passion but no time or space to build them, you sub contract to shops that specialize in that. Hell, without THOSE kinds of people, I couldn't have made money owning a shop doing that kind of work. If everyone did their own work, Chip Foose and the like would have no work, and no one to spend the money to make their visions a reality.

posted by  ChrisV

Chip Foose= Best designer/fabricator ever.

He's a huge inspiration. Having the learning disabilities and the drug problems, then dropping out. Only to become the best car designer I've ever seen.
Not to mention a great guy, always helping those in need

posted by  TurboLag

If not the best, at least in the top 5. I love his work.

posted by  ChrisV

http://www.shnack.com/news_pics/large/Foose-7.jpg
:thumbs:

posted by  TurboLag

Underneath all that fiberglass you'll find lots of MDF...at least if the person knows what they are doing.

posted by  thunderbird1100

But doesn't the hard suface of the glass, CF, etc still cause a lot of echo and reverb?

posted by  vwhobo

MDF mounting rings. Most of the acoustics are still being handled by the MDF...you want that as much as possible.

Bazillion watt systems are built to be the loudest, flashiest, and best sounding systems. It's more common in an SPL setup to see the harder surfaces, especially with a ton of MDF underneath, to support the pressures exerted. In an SQL setup however, some of the worlds top cars use almost bone stock interiors - if I can find the car in the latest PAS mag, I'll link it, it's a 2001 Neon, 3rd in the world series for SQL.

For show cars, they do it just for show...nothing really too special about the sound quality..

posted by  dodgerforlife

I think that it is a kind of wasting money

posted by  Montage777

I agree with hobo on this one ... the surface that the sound hits will have a bearing on the acoustics.

posted by  windsonian

Yes it does have an affect, but not as much as you may think. Like I said, a lot of the sound is still transferred through MDF underneath (you cant see). If you built just a fiberglass box with no bracing/MDF...it WILL sound like crap.

You would not believe what some people come to Best Buy looking to do. What I always wondered was wouldn't all the flashing lights give you a huge ass headache (not to mention the fat-bouncing bass itself)

posted by  Voda48

One of the best things they did here was to make a law against loud thumping ICE. As the occupant of another car, I don't need to hear some musically bereft hippest happening primate screaming foul language against the doof doof of amplified jungle drumming. I have a radio of my own thankyou very much.

posted by  Wally

How far do we want that to go?

"I don't want to hear the rumble of that V8 next to me, so all cars have to be silent."

"I think you're ugly and I shouldn't have to look at you. It disturbs my right to see only what I want to see."

"I don't like people laughing, so you can't have a family gathering in a park, as I shouldn't be Subjected to your fun."

Unless you're being harmed by something, merely banning it for being annoying is retarded.

posted by  ChrisV

Stateside PO's are starting to carry decibel meters and if you're over 100dB from within 100 feet of your car you get a fat ticket.

Honestly this was all caused by IRRESPONSIBLE bumpers who go through neighborhoods at night blasting bass. Myself, I am a RESPONSIBLE audio enthusist. I'll admit I crank it up in traffic, but I dont REALLY crank it up unless I'm mostly alone. These laws are rediculous. Trying to tell me I cant play my $2000-$2500 setup any louder than a stock radio setup? Shove it! I spent the money I'm cranking it (when it wont disturb people).

Well I guess I suffer from manners. No I don't like big trucks idling next to my window and I don't like loud cars doing the same = if the bloke knew what he was doing the idle noise should be docile. Laughing; I don't have a problem with so long as it isn't a bunch of yahoos leaning into my window acting the goat. How ugly are we talking about here?:wink2:

Any other irrelevent factors to mitigate the argument that loud noise and foul language are an unwelcome intrusion? By all means get rid of that acoustic matting on your car floor, the under bonnet blanket, the sound deadening paint, the acoustic door seals and enjoy the sounds of reciprocating bliss. I'm not stopping you.

posted by  Wally

That's the most American thing I've heard today :laughing:

posted by  windsonian

Your Message