Cliffy's job application progression thread!!

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Cliffy's job application progression thread!!

I've got an assesment for a new job on Thursday. It's a kinda Rent-a-Cop on the railways, known as a TravelSefe Officer. I'll be working with the British Transport Police to uphold order and attemt to combat antisocial behaviour on the railways and trains. Southwest Trains is the company I'll be working for, and it's better money lol. I'll be based in Richmond, Greater London. So, wish me luck for the assesment lol.

Here's a link to them....by the way, I dont consider it an advert, more of a 'knowledge' link....like some of these websites that you guys post lol

TravelSafe Officer (http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/JobOpportunities/On+and+around+t he+platform/TravelSafe+Officer.htm)

posted by  Cliffy

Good luck Cliffy! I am sure you will do great! :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Good luck on the interview :thumbs:...Hope you get the job :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Thanx guys....although this isn't an interview, it's a test, to see if I'm suitable for the job, an interview comes after I believe. Hopefully I'll do ok as I have experience in this sort of thing....just without the railways lol

posted by  Cliffy

Good luck to you sir. :thumbs:

posted by  hondaman

Oh, well either way, go get 'em lol :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

all the best there!! not a bad line you have chosen, richmond very, very swanky!! :thumbs:

didnt you fancy ilford? seven sisters etc??

posted by  born to drive

Allo, allo, allo wot have we got 'ere then. Good luck on the interview Cliffy and stay safe.

posted by  Wally

But do they have donuts on the trains.....

Good luck Cliffy.

posted by  vwhobo

lol...indeed....I'm a little gutted actually as they've started advertising a possition in Guildford....about 20minute drive from me, and Richmond's alot further, still, I wont be driving to work if I get the job, as I will have free train travel lol

And hobo, I'll find doghnuts lol

Thanx guys

posted by  Cliffy

Go cliffy go cliffy go cliffy GO! Wooh! :clap:

Good luck man. :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

haha, it is a great news. Good luck!!:thumbs:

posted by  Montage777

Good luck Cliffy *although you're a rent-a-cop, and rent-a-cops don't need luck* :wink2: :thumbs:

I'm sure you'll get all the doughnuts you'll ever need.... and then some.

posted by  car_crazy89

Wait a second! I thought only real cops got donuts. Since when do Rent-A-Cops get them too?

Good luck man:thumbs:

posted by  skeetin870

Good Luck Cliffy, I'll be rootin' for ya:thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

I thought rent a cops only got bagels?!?!?

Good luck cliffy!

posted by  Zalight

Yes Doughnuts are available on the trains...and I dont do Bagels lol...

Oh yes, almost forgot, I passed the assesment too. I'm actually suprised that I got through as I done a practice paper yesterday and completely flopped it lol. The real thing wasn't as daunting though, infact it brought back memories of when I applied to the Police force (same sort of paper just with less sections). Basically each test paper (three to start with) was multiple choice and we had like 20 or so minutes to do as much as possible on each paper (I dont think they expected us to finish all of the papers as it was near impossible!). There was about 10 of us there and I was one of three selected to undergo a final "Personality" test (C'mon.....how could I not get through this one lol!), which is just a pre interview test to establish how you'd deal with certain situations (multiple choice again), there were no wrong answers though....so they said lol....Obviously they wouldn't want yout to say you dont get on with other people though lol.

Anyway, They're gonna phone me with a date for an interview in the very near future, so hopefully I'll get through that too. I'll update you all as and when I receive a date etc! Thanx again for all the "Good Luck" you lot gave me!:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

nice man! Congrats on getting to the finals, as it were!

posted by  Zalight

Congrats Cliffy, hope you get the job. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Congrats and good luck with the rest of the process Cliffy.

posted by  theman352001

Thanx guys, hopefully the Interview will go smoothly :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Hey guys, I got an interview date at the end of last week! About bloody time lol, I was beggining to think they'd forgotton about me! Apparently it's an interview and Role play lol.......Interview is on the 12th of this month!

posted by  Cliffy

you should do good, ive been waiting for an interview at canadian tire ever since i turned 16, but theyll call someday...:laughing:

im better off just going to a fast food place or wal mart lol
but good luck:thumbs:

posted by  nighthawk

Cheers mate!

I though they were never going to call lol, they said it would take a couple of weeks to sort interviews out....not over a month, I think they are interviewing loads of us at once, hence the delay in contacting me (some assesments have only just taken place for the same role!).

If you're dead set on what ya wanna do, apply at more than one place!....there are hundreds of fast fit centres out there! Or you could apply for an apprenticeship or similar....I guess lol. Good luck to you too, though!

posted by  Cliffy

Good job Cliffy and Good luck with the interview

posted by  Spanky2324

Haha, I've tried at Canadian Tire twice now.. no luck, but the other day my friend and I found out Walmart was hiring for the garage (oil/filter/tire changes, nothing hard).. maybe you should just go to one by you and ask if they're looking for someone..

And congrats Cliffy, and good luck (even though you're Cliffy.. and Cliffy doesn't need luck to succeed lol :wink2: ).

If you think a month is long, my friend just got a call before the weekend about a job at McDonald's he applied for back in November lol.. now that's long.

posted by  car_crazy89

Thanx guys!!!

Also, do ya have to over 18yrs old to change tyres there? you do here lol...little off topic there lol

posted by  Cliffy

Good luck Cliffy!:thumbs:

posted by  Lizard King 6B

Thanx! hopefully It'll go okay!

By the way, I changed the title...as obviously, you all know as you're reading this! lol :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

I'm not too sure, I know at Canadian Tire they say you have to be, but they never specified at Walmart.

posted by  car_crazy89

I don't think there is one...I've changed tires in my auto shop class (teachers and parents bring their cars in sometimes) and then the co-op (or OYAP not sure lol) kids check to make sure it's right but they're only 17 lol.

BTW Cliffy, good luck :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

I know at Coop and OYAP you get to change the tires and everything else (as I'm doing Coop already lol, and have OYAP at Durham College next year). I'm just not sure about certain workplaces (like Walmart), as they never asked for my or my friends age..

posted by  car_crazy89

Cheers, Chris!

It's the law over here (atleast it was when I was in the Motor Trade!), that ya have to be 18yrs old or over to change tyres, I seem to remember it being like that at college too, otherwise I would have said it's different for educational purposes and that insurance regulations stop employers from employing people under 18yrs to change tyres...Hope that makes sense lol

posted by  Cliffy

Had the interview today......went okay, as well as I expected it to I guess lol. I dunno, I've never been too good with interviws *hopes he done enough*...Infact, the roleplay was easier, if anything, and the report writing (had to write report of the incident we practiced in the roleplaying!) was a doddle, but then I'm experienced in the art of blagging....I mean writing reorts, lol...I'll hear from them in 7 to 10 days apparently, I hope that's not another 2 months like before lol. From what the interviewers said about the job, it makes me even more determined than before!...Alot more professional than I've experienced before, too. I mean, you have to take medicals and training periods and everything, lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Good job cliffy and as far as changing tires yeah here in cali in the shops around here you basically have to be 18 to get in unless your going to just sweep the floors but hey gotta start somewhere.

posted by  Spanky2324

Cliffy, i'm sure you'll hear from them soon. Make sure to let us know when you get the call. :thumbs:

Just heard from them today...

I got the job guys!!....wahooo....Thanx for all the good luck you lot have given me lol!

posted by  Cliffy

CONGRATULATIONS! :mrgreen:

Congrats. Now, I did wish you goo luck so that comes out to 50% of your wages for the first 6 months, 30% for the next 12 months and then 25% for the next several years :laughing: JP
Congrats again :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Congratulations Cliffy. :thumbs:

I was going to post some advise but it looks like you don't need it.

Have fun in the new position. (keep it clean Steven):doh:

posted by  theman352001

lol....

Thanx guys. I just have to take a Medical type test next week, but to be honest, unless I'm on drugs it shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, I've been told my start date is 21st July!

posted by  Cliffy

Good job cliffy. You made it through. :clap: :clap: :clap:

posted by  Spanky2324

Yay cliffy! :clap:

Still kick your ass though. :wink2: :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Congrats Cliffy, I knew you didn't need luck :wink2: .

I'm alittle late at replying because I've been busy lately with other things.. but I'm glad to see that things are working out nicely for you.

*Reminder: Send Cliffy batch of special brownies with extra 'special' * :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

Congratulations Cliffy, knew you'd make it.:clap: :thumbs:

posted by  Bubba

Thanx again guys! Dont worry bout the late reply, car crazy!.......I look forward to the brownies/hash cake! :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

youll like it, my mates got the same sort of job with First Great Western in Plymouth, hes loving it!!! i wish i went for it too, better than what im in at the moment!!!
plus congrats although i dont know you!!!

posted by  True_Brit

Thanx, Jamie.....I missed that one, lol. It's been delayed (in true Sout West Trains fasion lol) a little by me failing the eye test, not a major problem, I knew I needed new glasses, just had to risk taking the test anyway, due to not getting them in time. I've ordered them now though and should have them by Friday, if all goes to plan, the Nurse said she could probably retest me the following day as it's only a five minute test, as that would be a Saturday, it'll probably happen on Monday.

I'll keep ya updated...

posted by  Cliffy

Oh shucks I missed it.

Im guessing you got the job. Congrats! :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

im also going to say congrats on the job just because im damn close to 1000 posts....:laughing:

but really though, congradulations!!

posted by  nighthawk

you spelt congratulations wrong!!! lol:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

No more C-F rent-a-cop????:ohcrap:

posted by  Satty101

Thanx guys

A simple typo my freind, a simple typo, lol

I'll still be a sort of Rent-a-Cop, just a Rent-a-British Transport Police-Cop, lol

posted by  Cliffy

Say that 5 times fast. lol

posted by  Satty101

ive always thought of joining the transport Police!!!

posted by  True_Brit

Haha, I can barely read it ONCE fast :wink2:

posted by  car_crazy89

Which is why I said it...:thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

Not enough room in my avater thingy to put it as my CF title, either, lol. True_Brit, BTP is a good job to get into, but the regular Police offers more scope for promotion in my opinion!...Hey, I could be, Rent-a-BTP.....has a ring to it, dont ya think? :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

my dad pursuaded me not to join the regular police because "of whats happened latley, a few knife stabbings, drunks in the street, that police woman being shot" etc etc, plus he watches the programmes about life on the beat, like he has done with the armed forces

posted by  True_Brit

It's all part of the fun though....lol

posted by  Cliffy

Okay...retook the test, failed again...however, the Nurse said that if I got a report from the optician with my sight specs etc (cant think of the correct terminology, lol), and they were on or above the standard required, I'd be okay. I got my opticain prescription that said I was beyond the Railway standard in booth eyes....in other words, their machine was a bit dodgy, lol (she did say that some people find the good old eye chart eysier, which I used too, but she obviously could record from it). I received a call this morning saying that I can expect to start in September, longer that expected, but the process was delayed somewhat. It's okay with me though, as if I had failed the test I'd have only been offered a less safety critical job, which I dont think I'd enjoy....being an action man 'n all, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

Whoo, go Cliffy! I knew you'd get it, congrats. Pretty soon we'll be seeing you in action films and railway heists and maybe even on CNN when you save the day.. or maybe we won't, but you'll still be happy doing what you're doing :wink2: :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

congratulations, well done :clap: :thumbs: :wink2:

posted by  True_Brit

Thanx guys....roll on action films/reality TV, lol

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message