Smokeless Tobacco(I.E. Chew, Dip, Snuff)

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Smokeless Tobacco(I.E. Chew, Dip, Snuff)

I was wondering if anyone in here used any smokeless products? I am an avid user of Skoal Moist snuff. Personally to me theres nothing better than loading in a nice pinch and cruising. I think the nicotine helps me think while I'm driving and gives me better reaction time. Please I don't want any replys speaking about how gross it is, or how I'm going to get mouth cancer.

posted by  Integra_LS

in that case don't count on much in the way of positive replies...

posted by  SuperJew

Well then you shouldn't have brought up the subject.

1. Nicotine is medically proven to slow your thought process and physical reaction times. Undisputable facts.

2. It is gross and you are going to get mouth cancer, but you already know that.

3. Before you make any decisions you need to know that I used Copenhagen essentially every day for over 20 years. Just like you I chose to ingnore the medical facts and how it adversely affected my personal life. Just like I'm sure you do, I lied to myself and said I could quit anytime. Just like thousands of others I was wrong. I'm proud to say that as of today I've been 100% nicotine free since 01/01/2004. That's 91 days. I highly recommend quiting to you, especially while you're young and there is less chance of damage. Unless you want to look like this guy. If you want help I can tell you how to start.

http://www.quitsmokeless.org/gallery/gallery008.jpg

posted by  vwhobo

Is that the guy's toungue (sp?) in the second pic???

Anywho, I used to smoke. As little as I like to admit to it, I did. I even got caught once when I was nine (I started when I was eight). I am proud of myself in one way though. I haven't had one since 4/25/03 :mrgreen:

posted by  Satty101

That's exactly what it is. Bet the chicks dig that, huh?

posted by  vwhobo

2. It is gross and you are going to get mouth cancer, but you already know that. = Quote from VWhobo.

1.It is gross, personal oppinion, but I won't dispute
2.I used smokeless primarily to quit smoking, which has taken years off my life.
3.You are going to get mouth cancer, Maybe, But I chose my vice and I will stick with it. Plus the statisics for oral cancer in snuff users is FAR FAR FAR less than lung cancer in smokers.

I have also read from sources that it can impede your performance, but in some cases it is shown to improve it. Of course, that is like the dispute between the physical addictiveness of Marijuana, which only occurs in around 2% of users.

Anyways, that's all I have to say. Thanks for the replies.

posted by  Integra_LS

Now step back and with a clear mind re-read your post. All you did was justify your addiction like anyone else who is an addict. I'll let it go here because it's your life. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

Some people get addicted to pringles, I got addicted to snuff.

I will not say it's a good habit, nor will I encourage its use. And I do agree with you hobo for the most part.

posted by  Integra_LS

I just saw this thread and thought I'd update it. As of New Yeras Eve, I'll be tobacco free for two years, that's 730 days. Congratulations to me. As a side note, if anybody is using and would like help getting off of it, please PM me for info. I'll be glad to help. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

:thumbs: :clap: congrats

posted by  windman

It's possible the snuff is also impeding your common sense...common sense would tell you...if you had it (is this guy still on the forums?) that there are "far, far, far," more smokers than dippers...hence the "statistics"

Either way...enjoy your vice.

Congrats vwhobo!!

posted by  BavarianWheels

I believe 2004 was a leap year, hence 366 days in the year, and therefore you would be 731 days tobacco free :laughing:

Congrats :clap:

posted by  chris_knows

I've tried chew, both straight cut, long cut, and pouch......the only one that i would possibly consider keeping up is pouch...but thats not a yen of mine..

I do smoke though...have for about four years, and I want to quit. It's a hell of a lot easier said then done.

posted by  dodgerforlife

smoker going on aboot 6 years, hate it, would love to quit, am shootin for new years resolution again........damn will power just aint what it used to be.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

but how could guys like start? ive tried a few times and smoking sucks... tastes bad and u cough and spiut to no end... plus the first time ur throat feels all dry and kills...

posted by  nick27

I don't smoke too often...maybe once a week or so, but usually I'll smoke light cigarettes, and sometimes, I'll throw half away :oops:...It just takes time to get used to the stronger ones.

posted by  chris_knows

i just dont at all... used to try thopse cigarillos once and a while... the primetimes but just didnt like smoking

posted by  nick27

for the reocrd, that pic is interestingly disgusting

posted by  jedimario

it is also my new years resoultion to quit smoking have been smoking for about 4years since i was 12 but it is a horribly discusting habit and so expensive :banghead:

posted by  mx3_monster

What makes a smoker change their mind about wanting to quit smoking? Does smoking make you feel good when you first start off and thats what makes you want to keep on doing it, then you realize how bad it is and want to stop?

posted by  salimander13

a lot of it is either an "image" thing - being that the age that most smokers start is in their early teens. or you could take someone like me, who grew up with a house full of smokers, so it seems "right" to smoke. I want to quit for several reasons - health, money, and the fact that it isn't the "right" thing to do anymore in society(at least here, other countries are largely different, ie Italy).

posted by  dodgerforlife

been a smoker for 10 years. i want to quit before i get married.

posted by  glagon1979

Okay ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Here's vwhobo's no sh*t on being a quitter. Let me start you off by saying that unless you're commited to doing this, don't bother. Without commitment, you'll most likely fail and that makes it harder to stay quit the next time. That is speaking from personal experience and also based on reading about phsycology and other things that I'm not very smart about. All of this also applies to smoke and dip as my best friend and I did this together, she was a smoker. For those of you who really want to do this, read on.

After you've made the commitment, you need a game plan. The reason that New Years is so popular is because everybody starts on a new page. No matter what date you choose, you have to stick with it. Think of it as a schedule to your personal freedom. Then you have to just quit. No excuses, it's gonna be real hard. It's a proven fact that going cold turkey is the most effective way of quitting but that doesn't make it easy. There are excellent products out there to help. Don't use a patch or nicotine gum becaue that only prolongs the ordeal. For those of you who have shown interest, I'll PM you with link to the products we used so I'm not advertising.

Another part of the game plan is support. Friends, family, co-workers. Anyone who is interested in helping you, and more importantly someone who is willing to listen to you rant when you get the shakes. You will need help. Sometimes you need an external conscience. Sometimes you just need someone to yell at. We used each other and made it a competition to see who could last longer. Neither of us likes to lose. We also both used online support forums as well. I know for sure the QSO (http://www.quitsmokeless.org/) helped me quit dipping and that Quitnet helped her quit smoking. Follow the links and join them today. Again, whatever it takes.

Doing it. When you quit, you have two things to battle. The first one is the physical addiction. The bad news is that the longer you've used and the more you've used, the harder this is. The good news is that after two to three weeks, depending on your metabolism, body fat and diet, the nicotine is out of your system. Gone. So when you make it to the three week point, your body doesn't crave the nicotine anymore. Ever.

The second one, and the most difficult part for most people is the mental addiction. This is also the one that usually gets people back on the stuff three months or five years later. Think about your smoking/dipping routine. After a meal, before a big meeting with your boss, when you drink alcohol. The act of doing it is a habit. Even after your body doesn't care, your brain still wants to do it. I still craved a dip at least once a day for over a year and still want one about once a week. The mind is a tricky thing. The thing you have to know is that you can control it if you've made the commitment.

So what have I covered here. Honestly, alot of nothing. It was purposely kept vague because I'm not an expert and the process of getting clean is different for everybody, that's what the support forums are for. It's something that you have to do every day for the rest of your life, but if you look at it that way you'll be overwhelmed. Just like the drunks, one day at a time. If you really want this you can do it. There's no time like the present. Go for it. If you have any questions, let me know.

posted by  vwhobo

Congratulations. You should be proud of yourself. Overcoming an addiction is certainly not an easy task. :thumbs:

I'd hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I have to agree with the others.

Oh yeah, the pics are disturbing. They should show kids those pictures, along with all the info. It might have a greater effect. That's just my opinion, though.

posted by  SmileLines

Congrats, Hobo! And I hope everyone that wants to quit can find the way to do it. As car guys, remember every pack of cigs is another car part you can't afford.. ;)

I'm glad I never started. I dont envy you guys the processes of quitting an addiction.

posted by  ChrisV

it's a bitch and a half to quit - i just had one of the funnest symptoms...insomnia...im ass tired right now lol

posted by  dodgerforlife

Well, when I started smoking I was the exact opposite of most people. I was a closet smoker. I ****ing HATED cigarettes growing up cause my aunt smoked and I thought it smelled like shit. But then one fatefull night, I took a drag off my brothers black and mild to see what all the fuss was about.

And I liked it. I liked the taste, the smell, how it felt in my mouth, everything. But I still didn't inhale, I mean, Its a cigar. You dont inhale those. But my brother did, and he kept telling me it tasted different when you did so. So finally after a grip of time just puffing them I inhaled.

And I fell in love.

I mean, I coughed yes. It didn't burn surprisingly, but I did cough. And when I finally stopped coughing enough, I felt the effect of the nicotine. I felt light-headed, almost like I was slightly drunk. So I started inhaling those, and then tried a drag off my brothers cigarette and realized "wow these are SOOOO much better than B&M's!!!" So I started smoking.

And yes, I know at this point I am addicted, but I still absolutley love to smoke. I love when I wake up in the morning and grab a cup of coffee and go out on my front porch and light up the first cigarette of the day. I love the way it feels when I take a long draw followed by a sharp intake of breath and hold it for a little bit, then let it slowly seep out of my mouth as my muscles relax. I love the feeling of a really hot burning, very smoky cigarette as I pull it in and can feel the smoke going into my lungs.

Anyway. The point is I love smoking.

posted by  Zalight

But Copenhagen Black is sooo good...

the price aint good though

posted by  Copenhagen

Yeah whenever I do dip I love me some cope black...But I dont dip often, only on plane trips or somewhere I know I wont be able to smoke for a long time.

posted by  Zalight

X2. Yeah, I started back up again...

posted by  Satty101

I FOR one. LOVE grizzley long cut winter green but i have a pinch of scoal green apple pounch in right now! give it up for the dippers.!! o yeah

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

o yeah, i almost forgot, my friend got this stuff from his uncle called snuff! its not the snuff your thinking about tho, this stuff you actually snort up your nose for a quick fix. so me being the dumbass that i am and willing to try any thing one made an attempt at this. all i have to say is OUCH. it burns but its a nice fix when your in school and cant mave a cig. for 7 hours. but most the time i dip!

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

Anyone ever tried snorting ecstasy pills?

posted by  CarEXPERT

Snuff is actually rather common in europe. I tried it a few times while in Salsburg under the influence of a hot Austrian who swore that it was better then smoking, much less intrusive to the innocent bystander. I tried it because she wasn't fond of smoking and said it left a taste in my mouth.

Ahem...

Anyway, It didn't burn all that bad in my experience, and the nicotine high was much different from that of a cigarette, chewing tobacco or dip. More of an intense 5 minute body high followed by a sickness to my stomach.

No, I haven't but I can say this; On febuary 27 I had a friend Overdose from sniffing OxyContin and die. He was a great guy and I have missed him everyday since.

Sniffing pills, wether it be prescription or illegal drugs (like ecstasy) can be one of the most destructive, and addictive things on the planet.

posted by  Zalight

Wow, do people jsut search for these threads to bring back to life? Personaly I do not smoke, not my bag, I did however have a cigar this past weekend. First in about 2 years so you can see how much of a hardcore user I am

posted by  Voda48

i do know that i bought a log of cope black for 20 dollars...
:clap:
my brother works at a gas station
(atleast i got like a 5$ discount)

posted by  Copenhagen

::edit::

posted by  TurboLag

its like one of my friends addicted to ice, she lost like 50 pounds and she was anorexic, she got down to like 80 pounds

kinda sad, luckily her ass got into rehab

posted by  Copenhagen

Its good you didn't get into the harder to kick pills, IE; OxyCodone, HydroMorphones, Morphine, Xanax, and the big mother of them all OxyContin.

I recently had to help a friend recover from an OxyContin addiction, he was snorting 6-7 80's a day. Which is damn expensive, 80's sell for 50-70 bucks a pill.... The real problem with OC is that it is a slightly toned down version of heroin which is cheaper and easier to find. He came to me and told me he needed help after he smoked heoin for the first time. He went to our friend sean's grave (the one who OD'ed) and realized what he had done so he came to me for help.

Its been almost a month since he has touched either OC or heroin.

posted by  Zalight

that shits crazy. and good for him. :clap:

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

double post

posted by  TurboLag

posted by  TurboLag

i have!! its quit fun in my opinion and a legal alternitive to marijuana!

YHUP
_dan:smoke:

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

posted by  TurboLag

Havent tried it but I was with my friend when he did it and now I am no longer interested.

posted by  Zalight

yeah its crazy.id belive that CNN story.

-dan

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

I'm a car expert as you all know..but did I ever tell you I was also a illicit drug expert? Well now you know.

I dont know where you heard that sniffing ecstasy or even just eating the pill can be addictive. It has a lot of potential to be mentally addicting but definally not physically addictive. How do I know this? I've done a 10 minute speech on ecstasy for school a week ago and learned a lot about this drug I used to abused.

I learned that what ever is physically addicting releases the chemical dopamine in your brain. Things like cocaine and meth concentrates on releasing dopamine rather than ecstacy which releases serotonin (your happy cells).

I never knew that ecstacy abuse and really **** with the chemicals in your brain..rather I never even knew we had chemicals i our brain until I reseached on this.

Turbolag: Never heard what endorphins are but the reason why people who do E regually suffer from depression because of the chemical enbalance thing. Mainly when you drop E you use up most of your serotonin and it takes weeks to replenish it.

I didnt know I had depression when I was doing E as much as knowing I had really bad short term memory.
What I dont get is I havent been doing E for 8 months now and I still dont feel normal.

So my advice to you guys is you should try this miracle drug but you really have to treat this drug with respect and use it no more than once a year.

posted by  CarEXPERT

ok, ive heard about dopeamine b4 in health class,lol. but what kinda chemilcal is relised with say alchole, nicotine, or marijuan?

-dan

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

I dont know OKAY. When I said I was a drugexpert I ment I experienced with most of them.
From a quick google seach, nicotine also releases dopamine which is why nicotine is so physically adictive.

But whats really intresting about ecstasy is it takes your craving of nicotine away temporally for like a few days, at least for me.
But I've heard of some people who quitted smoking after an experience with ecstasy.

posted by  CarEXPERT

hahah i wasnt trying to stump you, sry bout that, but i heard with dopamin you can actually get high off of that, b/c when you handel a substance such as cocain, the dopamine is released b4 you even use the drug and its actually like a high its self???like you get shackey and things like that?
-dan

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

You brain always releases dopamine, releasing it sends a message to the all the other brain cells and make you do the things you do.

After cocaine gets absorbed into your blood bia the inside of your nose it then goes to your brain and does its things and releases even MORE dopamine.

posted by  CarEXPERT

CarEXPERT, i was mainly reffering to prescription pain pills.

There is no way you can tell me they aren't EXTREMELY addictive.

posted by  Zalight

i dont see what the big deal is with xanax i've taken plenty of em and snorted some as well and i just dont see what makes them attractive.

and as for the salvia thing i really want to try it :2cents: :orglaugh:

posted by  mx3_monster

posted by  TurboLag

posted by  TurboLag

posted by  TurboLag

Your Message