X-Men: the last stand

Home  \  Off Topic  \  X-Men: the last stand

So I am geek who, with a bunch of buddies from work, went to the midnight showing of this new movie. All I have to say is "wow". I was looking forward to this and was not disappointed. That is all I will say because I do not wish to ruin it for anyone else and I hope others could follow suit (for a while) The Very end is the best part (hint) and also, WAIT FOR THE CREDITS!! IT IS WELL WORTH IT (BIG FRIGGIN HINT)

My favorite quote however:
"You don't know who you are dealing with, I'm the Juggernaut b*tch"

posted by  Voda48

I went to the midnight show also with my friend, I will also say that it was good, but I felt the beginning was a little slow it picked up though. Hope spiderman 3 will be just as good if not better than this.

posted by  salimander13

Don't want any spoilers, as I haven't seen it yet. I just wanna know if anyone mentions Kaiser Sose in it, as was promised... ;)

posted by  ChrisV

Sweet, I'm goin to see it tonight with my soon to be gf.

posted by  Pythias

ummm.. I dont remmeber anything mentioning Kaiser Soze

posted by  Voda48

yea I didn't hear anything about Kaiser Sose in it, one major bad thing about the movie is well, its one big spoiler. The smallest things can be said about this movie and it would ruin the movie for you. My advise watch it as soon as possible before your friends or someone else ruins it for you.

posted by  salimander13

edit *slight hint of spoilers in this, don't read it if you want it to be completely unspoiled. But you shouldn't waste your money on this movie anyway, so read it*

Me and a few of my friends had a bit of a marathon and watched the first two movies beforehand (which I think are excellent movies). But after X-Men 3 I was so dissapointed.

X3 completely sacrificed depth, plot, and character for lame action and ridiculous special effects, which weren't even that good. The introduction of Beast was cool, but they didn't even give him anything good to do (I thought he was a scientist?). Juggernaut was alright, way to cast Vinnie Jones who was great in Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. But some of the other new mutants were too "cool" looking, too much leather and bondage made them look like they were out of the Matrix. The returning cast members were unlikeable and flat (through no fault of their own), especially Wolverine, Storm, and Magneto (yes Magneto was likeable in the first two movies, though bad, you felt he was justified in his ways. And he wasn't completely soulless in the other two movies, remember how he didn't shoot the cop at the train station in X1, how many innocents did he kill this time?). And then there's the fact that they killed important characters. Beloved characters who didn't deserve to die, and even if they had to go, it wasn't in honourable way you want to see the hero go down.

And what the hell was with moving the whole Golden Gate Bridge so a few mutants could get to Alcatraz? Its not like he had a an army of thousands that needed a way across, it was like maybe 50 tops. This is just an example of trying to use "amazing" special effects to take up a good 15 minutes of the movie, when a good plot would have been much more satisfying.

Even the action and fight scenes, which were so well done in the X1 and X2 (think back to NightCrawler at the White House, that one still gets my heart pumping), were uninspired. Theres a difference between well choreographed, exciting fight scenes, and mindless action. This was all mindless action. Oh wait, lets throw in a lame one liner like "you should have stayed in school" to make the fight better.

Then theres the political parallels (senator kelly) and social issues that the first movies brought up. They felt relevant to our own world, which made it all the more compelling. Apparently they forgot to do that in this one. All we had was the most pathetic president I've ever seen on film (that includes the movie Hot Shots and Hot Shots: Part Deux)

Finally, the story was choppy and thrown together, and the ending was shallow and hardly spectacular.

A big F*CK YOU to Brett Ratner, if only Bryan Singer had been at the helm to finish what he started. This really ruined the X-Men series for me.

It doesn't help that my ipod now needs a new hard drive. F*ck.

posted by  Mathew

I completly agree with everything you said. This moive definetly let me down. I guess for the minority of people, plot is more important than expensive special fx.:2cents:

posted by  elchango36

I agree with most things, but overall I still liked it, could've been alot better, but everyone has their fall down.

posted by  Pythias

I agree with you matt and on top of that whoever of you who have followed the old x men series be it cartoon or comic book this one didn't follow it at all.

posted by  Spanky2324

Well I still iked it, and I liked the end. I've never seen the other two movies, so I guess my expectations weren't as high. Wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it certainly wasn't bad. Worth $6.50? Meh, probably not.

posted by  jedimario

It was a good movie.

If you want plot and in depth characters read the comics...

Yes, I am a geek, I love me some comics.

So what?

Wanna fight about it?

posted by  Zalight

Or, you could watch comic book movies that did have plot and in depth characters, such as X1, X2, Spiderman 1 and 2, V for Vendetta, Batman Begins...I can go on from here. This movie has no excuse.

posted by  Mathew

have you read the comics to any of those movies?

The storylines aren't even close and the have zero plot and in depth characters compared to the comics.

EspeciallyBatman begins.

posted by  Zalight

But I don't care about relevance to the comics....we're talking movies here. All of those movies are good, well made movies. X3 was not. X3 wasn't relevant either, but also sucked.

posted by  Mathew

I see.

but I still did enjoy the movie though, since I did read the comics and got more then my fill of storyline and just wished I could see wolverine hack some shit up in real time not comic art.

posted by  Zalight

double post woopppppppps

posted by  Mathew

I guess my hopes were a little high. X1 and X2 were both way above my expectations, and as such, my expectations went way up.

But at least I'm not alone on this

posted by  Mathew

Amen

The movie was very good, and in every way was as good as the first two. You may not be alone, but you are the minority that believes this movie was bad. Sofar every other person I have asked has loved it. (even if it didnt follow the comics to the bone)

posted by  Voda48

In every way as good as the first two? Are you nuts? Obviously you didn't like the first two for the same reasons I did. Do you tend to fast forward to the action scenes? Because if thats the case I can see why you loved X3.

posted by  Mathew

Age old advice for you... don't assume, it makes an ass out of you and me. I liked the first two, yes I like action, but I also like it when the plot isn't always freaking obvious. The movie had a near impossible task, cram a finale worthy of the trilogy without missing out some things or not touching on them at all. If we were going to see the enitre story of the phoneix rolled out, that movie would have been 3.5 hours long.... does that make sense to you? One could say the same about the Star Wars 3 or The ENTIRE Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which I thought both were excellent. X3 has a lot of hidden plot which leaves the door open for your imagination... try using that every once in a while. Honestly, you though Hallie Barry's line in X men was sweet "You know what happens to toad when it is hit by lightning? The same the that happens to everything else.." I mean common that was some great writing. She isnt even a mutant either if I remember the comics, you never see the first two movies point that out. case in point, niether of the two first movies had "all that mych plot over action" either, but they were good, lighten up and don't ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.

If I was to assume like you do... well I would say you are to young to get the point of why people go to the movies.

posted by  Voda48

Spiderman 1 &2 -You've got to be f@#kin kiddin me! The acting sucked!!! "Friends....is that all we can be?" (end of part 1). Now, Batman Begins was cool as hell! It followed the comic book storyline AND the acting was good.

Now i'm an X-Men fan too. Liked 1 & 2 but you guys have me disappointed in part 3 already.

posted by  Lizard King 6B

Kaiser Sose, isn't that the name used by Kevin Spacey in the movie The Usual Suspects?

posted by  Lizard King 6B

yes and I saw no mention of it in the movie.

I really liked batman begins as well. even thought it wasn't 100% to the comic, it did a good job of using that as a foundation and building from it. Weird how the entertainment industry does that... (*cough* hint)

posted by  Voda48

Since I don't really feel like "arguing", I'll keep this seperate from our "argument". I take movies as movies. Yes I did watch the old X-Men and Spiderman cartoons, but I don't really care that much about them or the comics. If they totally changed the story in a comic book turned movie, but it turned out excellent, then so be it. Its not going to change my perception of the original, it is simply its own entity, with its own characters and storylines.

posted by  Mathew

I watched X3 without watching the first two, but then I had a chance to catch up last weekend because FX was showing X1 & X2 (ouch, the commercial interuptions alone had me fast asleep in the middle of the first). If you ask me, the story line seemed a little redundant, anyway, so I'm not sure I would have expected that much of a plot for "The Last Stand."

Mathew, while I agree with most of your points, isn't that kind of overthinking it for comic? That was the downfall of "The Hulk" which SUCKED majorly. They tried to turn a concept as simple as "Hulk SMASH" into "Hulk think" and "Hulk love" and "Hulk have flashbacks" and the result was me falling asleep on five seperate attempts of watching the movie.

But hey, I could nitpick at the movie, too. [SPOILER ALERT]. I didn't really buy the explanation for why Jean became so thoughtless and unstable all of a sudden, and also during the fight, why did mostly mutants get killed, but more importantly, portrayed as the bad guys? Sure, Magneto and his people were taking the offensive, but they had cause to, didn't they?

posted by  JaneiR36

Is that you Charles?

posted by  Wally

who? wha..?

posted by  nighthawk

Dont give anything away!

I thought that was ne of the coolest parts!

posted by  Zalight

Me too. that and juggernaut quote

posted by  Voda48

The bloke carrying the TV down the corridor was humourous.

What i didn't get was the level 5 woman standing like a stale bottle of beer watching the battle and letting the magnetic fella take control.

posted by  Wally

Your Message