Is Street Glow Illegal

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Is Street Glow Illegal

My cousin just bought me a blue street glow kit. I have been itching to put it on, but i found out that they might be illegal.:ohcrap: Are they Illegal In california?

Thanks for the feedback.

posted by  Ravi Gunn

I'v eseen reports that, if it's mounted to th elight source is not directly visible, it's legal. that being said, I'd stay away from red or blue due to it's proximity to emergency vehicle lighting from the front. In fact, even Street Glow, the major maker of the underbody Neon, says to stay away from those colors.

If you ONLY us them at shows, however, it shouldn't be an issue. But don't run blue or red on the street.

posted by  ChrisV

Ok, for california, this is what applies:

There is a specific code for neons, which are diffused lights, different from other "lamps". These lights also are less bright than the .05 candela limit used to regulate other lights as listed by Sqeak. My StreetGlow Gold Series was calculated to be .002 candelas, for example, WAY lower than the .05 candela limit.

Any lamp that displays light indirectly, so that you can't see the bulb, falls under the category of "diffused lighting", and is subject to the regulations of VC 25400:

Lighting Requirements

25400. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp or device on the exterior of the vehicle that emits a diffused nonglaring light of not more than 0.05 candela per square inch of area.

(b) Any diffused nonglaring light shall not display red to the front, but may display other colors. A diffused nonglaring light shall not resemble nor be installed within 12 inches or in such position as to interfere with the visibility or effectiveness of any required lamp, reflector, or other device upon the vehicle.

(c) A diffused nonglaring lamp or device, other than a display sign authorized by subdivision (d), shall be limited in size to an area of 720 square inches and where any lease, rental, or donation is involved the installation of the lamp or device shall be limited to those vehicles operated either primarily within business or residential districts or municipalities, or between business districts, residential districts, and municipalities in close proximity.

(d) An internally illuminated sign emitting not more than 0.25 candela per square inch and possessing copy which does not contain a white background may be displayed on each side, but not on the front or rear, of a trolley coach or of a bus being operated in urban or suburban service as described in Section 35107 of this code.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks for the information, i appreciate it.. I got into a little argument with a lady at the Police Department because i heard that there was a law that said as long as you are not modifying the color of the lights, such as a Green Brake light or purple blinker, and if your neon light is not rotating or blinking then it is llegal.

posted by  Ravi Gunn

If there is ever a question like this that you can't find the answer to online, you can always call your local Highway Patrol.
From what I can remember, most states do not allow Neon lights to be turned on while a car is in motion.

P.S.> I don't think I'd argue with the police department unless you have refutable evidence. In the end, you just end up looking like an
http://crystalcathedral.org/childrens.ministry/images/donkey.jpg

posted by  97Talonchik

my fathers a police officer here in indiana and i asked him about it and he said that as long as you can not see the actuall light bulb then its legal. he said any color it doesnt madder, but thats here in indiana.

-dan

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

here in PA, its compleatly illegal, which realy sucks.

posted by  starscream0

that sucks

-dan

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

Same with WI...

posted by  Satty101

yea i just moved from pa, and i got busted for neons a few times... it does suck. anybody know the law for it in ohio? i'm just too lazy to look it up at the moment... thanx

posted by  dmanz

Usually I would, but nah. Get off your lazy bum and google it yourself. :laughing:

posted by  97Talonchik

white in front, red in back, tubes can not show. However that expired in the early 90s so today its probably 100% illeagal

posted by  Satty101

gee thanx. btw, i looove talons, getting another one soon

posted by  dmanz

Your Message