Liscense Plates

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Liscense Plates

with british plates, i can tell how old a car is but with american plates, how can you tell the age of a car

example: KN54 KSO (KN is the area, 54 means it was registered late 2004 after august, and the 3 letters after are just letters) plus thats a real liscence (work van) or H538 MPU (H meaning it was reg'd in 1993)

but american plates :ohcrap: :tard:

posted by  True_Brit

There is no rhyme or reason to our license plates...It's just random letters (I think) unless you pick what you want it to say lol...

posted by  chris_knows

oh so you can just pick 123abc and thats it?

posted by  True_Brit

I suppose American's tend to take a look at the car itself to tell it's age...call me crazy! :banghead:

posted by  BavarianWheels

yeah, but i tried that, the rest of my family (apart from my dad) live in Pheonix, they own a Ford Expedition V8 and i thought it was a 96 but it was a 01, it was so well looked after!

posted by  True_Brit

Here in North Carolina you can personalize it as long as it's not taken already. It also can't be vulgar or anything like that. We also have choices of "logos" that can be on there as well. All this costs extra and you are charged every year(not just for the initial first plate)

posted by  thefonz

wait, that means your a ****ing moron. you thought a well-taken care of 01 was a 96? In reality, one would be more likely to think a well-taken care of 96 looks like an 01...

But the styles are different anyways, so how you ****ed that up is beyond me...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Damn Dodger take it easy...

posted by  Satty101

bah, my bad. Too many drugs to combat sickness...that and I haven't slept in 60 hours...

posted by  dodgerforlife

yo usoudn like me afte rmy usual 12-14 hour day

posted by  Aondor

H meaning it was registered in 1990 - 1991 :wink2:

As far as I know, US plates stay with their owners, rather than with each car, that's what I heard anyway!

posted by  Cliffy

Nope...plates go with cars unless owner wants his/her plates.

That depends on the state. Back home in Washington State, the plates stay with the car. Here in MD, when you sell the car, the plates go back to the MVA, you don't get to keep them and the new owner has to get new plates. In CT, the plates stay with the owner. So there are a number of ways it works.

True_Brit, you also don't get to just pick your plate numbers UNLESS you pay extra for personalized plates (and if you get personalized plates, you can't get one that looks similar to a standard plate layout in the way letters and numbers are arranged). Otherwise, you just take whatever plate you're handed when applying.

Plates used to be stamped with the year they were issued, but that went away in the '60s. In states where the plates stay with the owner, then you could conceivably have '63 plates on a '70s vehicle, so it still wouldn't tell you anything.

Simply put, you tell the year of the car by knowing about the cars. In the old days, the cars changed every year, so it's easy to tell the difference between, say, a '55 chevy, a '56, a '57, a '58, and a '59. As you move newer, you get an age range of 2-4 years for most cars before there are visual changes. Trucks and vans are harder as they didn't change much over wide age ranges, but unless you're BUYING one, knowing the exact year is pretty much unnecessary. And if you are buying or working on one, that information is instantly accessable.

posted by  ChrisV

Liscense Plates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

with british plates, i can tell how old a car is but with american plates, how can you tell the age of a car

example: KN54 KSO (KN is the area, 54 means it was registered late 2004 after august, and the 3 letters after are just letters) plus thats a real liscence (work van) or H538 MPU (H meaning it was reg'd in 1993)

but american plates

In america, you can have anything on your plates, provided it has not already been registrereed. Where as in GB mainland the registration relates to the year of the vehicle. While in Northern Ireland the registrations are dateless and can be transferred into any age of vehcile.

May I suggest you contact as they are very helpful.

Hope this helps you

Regards
Jayne

posted by  jayneh

I stand corrected. I assumed since this is the case in California (at least I assume all of CA since it is so here in L.A.) that everyone wanted to be like CA and did the same. :smoke:

btw, ChrisV...I had a sig pic exactly like your current one when I first started on this forum. Take a look... :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/BavarianWheels/RedSigBlock72.jpg

lol! yeah, I took the pic of the front of my 740 and thought it'd make a good banner sig. Love the BMW nose. ;)

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message