The iPOD and your older car

Home  \  Off Topic  \  The iPOD and your older car

hey ladies and gents... For those of you who listen to ipods in your car, I'm guessing on account of not having mp3 compatible media players in an older car, and preferably while driving by yourself, I was just curious exactly how it works out for you?

- Are you able to easily pick out any one song from a lengthy playlist (300+, for instance?) If so, can you share how?

- Do you have a remote control for the ipod, much like the ones available for Satellite radios or CD players?

- Are you able to quickly and easily see what song is playing? The displays on those things look awfully small.

- Do you have an ipod to FM transmitter? If so, how do you like it? If not, do you operate it in your car just fine without it?

I'm thinking of getting one due to cost of CD's and also the trouble with managing multiple CD's. I don't want to install a new CD player, either. I do prefer having my media right in front of me, as against installed somewhere in the trunk.

posted by  JaneiR36

Playlists

I don't

Yes

No...I have IceLink. It connects into the CD changer plug and so it's hard-wired.
http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm

posted by  BavarianWheels

That product looks really cool. And the mount is really clean. They said it's discontinued in the US, when did you get yours?

posted by  JaneiR36

I got mine at Al & Eds Autosound. It's been about 6 months ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/BavarianWheels/iPod_Install01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/BavarianWheels/iPod_Install02.jpg

There's my set up. It's installed in my X5. The nano in the cradle is not mine...btw. :banghead:

I was going to say: "Bav.... Pink??? " but since it isnt yours.

I have a FM transmitter, most dont work for shit, mine included ( Griffen iTrip) the only good one I have seen was a $100 one.

I was looking into getting a line in for my stereo, then I found out it was a propritary (sp?) cable for my deck.

Kenwood makes an iPod deck that is about $150, very god too.

If your stereo has a line in imput, that is the best way to go.:thumbs:

posted by  Voda48

only prob there Bav is it has been discontinued....

posted by  Voda48

a nano couldnt fit in that dock without some kind of adapter, thats an ipod mini, i have one myself.

posted by  starscream0

Imo unless your willing to spend a little bit more on a new deck or buy a cable for the ipod you might as well stick to cds. The griffin itrip is a horrible piece for the car if your using the 5th gen ones.

posted by  Spanky2324

With the stock headunit I had a thing that ran the iPod through the tape player and one selected the song off of the iPod. This worked for about 2 years until the tape player gave out. I then got a new headunit (a Panasonic) and when Circuit City installed it they attached a iPod thing to it that runs through the glovebox. I simply plug the iPod into the thing in the glovebox and can control it entirely off of the faceplate/ headunit. I can select playlists but once I do it operates like a CD--I have to go through the songs one by one. I just make small playlists so it isnt too hard to get the song I want. I think with installation the headunit and iPod thing was like $200, but I'm not 100% sure on that. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

This all sounded so much easier when I first thought of getting an iPOD for my car :laughing: I don't think I'll get one quite yet, unless, of course, I'm able to apply early enough for one of those credit card promotions where they give you a free one. The size of those pretty much blows, though. How many songs can a 1 gig iPOD hold, anyway?

posted by  JaneiR36

They'd advertise it as 250, but it depends on the size of the song, I'd say anywhere from 200-300...

posted by  chris_knows

Do you guys pay for your mp3's? I haven't been into them since Napster's free site got shut down.

posted by  JaneiR36

friend has an ipod with fm transmitter
works well
we were passing it around the car adding our songs to the playlist.... was cool

posted by  windsonian

proprietary CABLE???

posted by  windsonian

You are correct...that is a Mini.

However you are wrong. A Nano does fit in the cradle. But one has to be careful when using the buttons not to rock it back and forth and wear the connections. My Nano fits and works fine in the same cradle.

With IceLink, if you have a post-2005 headunit, you can choose to run the iPod thru the steering wheel controls/headunit or the iPod itself...so one can use the Nano in this cradle with no damage from rocking it. (you can choose this option in pre-2005 model cars, however most will not display the song and artist in the headunit prior to '05...that's the only difference)

Ya that isnt very uncommon. The conection is proprietary ( ie the end)

posted by  Voda48

I used to steal them. First I did Napster, then Kazaa, then Kazaa Lite, then WinMX, and then when WinMX got closed down I just decided to buy the songs off of iTunes.

posted by  StiMan

aah, ok.. i had an inkling that's what you meant. cables are easy to dodgy up, connectors can be less so....

posted by  windsonian

Your Message