Mechanics

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Mechanics

About how much does an average mechanic make, working roughly a 40-50 hour week?

i always wondered

posted by  Spade

Did you give that question any thought before typing it or hitting submit? There is no "average mechanic". You need to take into account where they live, what type of shop they work in, how busy the shop is, what their experience, certifications and/or specialties are and the list goes on and on. I know people who consider themselves "mechanics" who are lucky to make minimum wage and I know guys who make near or even over $100k a year... Some of them work for me (including me).

Bottom line is, if you want an answer, ask one that makes sense. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

our company hire vans and their mechanic earns £30 an hour
(about 55 us dollars)

he works about 5hrs a day, 6 days a week

posted by  True_Brit

well if were going to be super anal,

how do you think i should have defined my question?

posted by  Spade

If you want to be a punk and be "super anal", first off the word is spelled we're. Or maybe "super anal" is refering to something you and your boyfriend do on Saturday nights with your pet gerbils.

How do I think you should have defined your question? How the f*ck do I know, you're the one asking it. Only you know what kind of information it is that you're seeking. I gave you the extreme ends of the pay spectrum AND at least a few things that have a bearing on how much money a mechanic can make. It's up to you to be smart enough to figure out how to ask a question. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

I have never even done anything to you or anyone else on this Forum. Sorry if im not the smartest guy in the world. Theres no reason to be a jerkoff about it.

I may not be the smartest guy, but atleast im not an asshole. I never post anything mean or hateful on this forum. In fact, most kids my age come on here talking about how they want to street race or "pimp out their car" like in the fast and the furious. Do you ever see my do that? Do you ever see me post like any other asshole teenager?

Look at what brit posted, thats exactly what i was looking for. I was just looking for a freaking rough estimate to what mechanics make. Did i say i needed to know exact ammounts? No i didn't. I just was wondering if it'd be a good way to make a living.

posted by  Spade

That's not what you asked Twinkie boy. You asked;

Not the same question, is it? And while we're at it, YOU'RE the little fella that called me anal which means YOU'RE the one who started calling names and continued it with your latest post. Get over yourself little man, what I said before stands. Figure out what question you want answered and you might be able to get one. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

uhh thats exactly what i asked.

who are you to judge?

Honestly, your sitting here arguing with a 16 year old, who just wondered what mechanics make.

Sorry if im offending you. lol?

posted by  Spade

Who am I to judge? With witty banter like that you need to go on the Jerry Springer show.

My problem is that no matter what I say to you, you refuse to use the brain you were born with. Like it or not, I'm trying to get you to think BEFORE asking. You've asked various questions about the subject, all related yet all different. What part of deciding what question you want answered don't you understand? I can explain to you ANYTHING about the industry you want to know, but I'm really bad at hitting a moving target.

And just for further reference, my name is not dude. Until you become a peer, use the proper name. Along with learning how to ask a question, you need to learn some respect, if not for me personally than certainly for your elders.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok sir,

In new england, how much would an average mechanic, who does not own his own garage, works 40-50 hours a week, make an hour?

is that specific enough :\

posted by  Spade

I still don't know what an average mechanic is. If you spent more time listening (reading and thinking) than you do typing and wanting to be heard you'd already know that there are variables that need to be considered. You need to fill in the blanks.

posted by  vwhobo

auto-repair mechanic, someone who would work with performance of a car, not the autobody. I still dont know if im specific enough?

posted by  Spade

Because you're not... Wait for it... READING. Have you looked at the words I've typed in this thread or just the ones that give you something to bellyache about? Try the second post and read it closely.

posted by  vwhobo

Still might want to make that more specific. Theres more to performance than you think.

posted by  Benson

i guess so...well sorry for asking everyone..geesh.

posted by  Spade

If you give up that easy you'd never make it as a tech anyway. This is simple compared to the critical thinking skills required to do the job right. Someone with your lack of focus and as easily derailed as you would make about minimum wage plus $1.

posted by  vwhobo

-On average, what do you think is the salary of a mechanic/tech working full-time at a locally owned tuner shop?

-On average, what do you think is the salary of the owner of the shop?

-On average, what do you think is the salary of a the "top mechanic" at a Meineke?

-On average, what do you think is the salary of a "top mechanic" at a dealership?

top mechanic = head mechanic = boss of all the other mechanics

Someone answer these questions.
Please.

posted by  What

-On average, what do you think is the salary of the owner of the shop?
-What kind of shop? Candy Shop?

-On average, what do you think is the salary of a "top mechanic" at a dealership?
-What kind of dealership? What are they working on? What are they selling? Legos? Trucks? Spaceships?

posted by  Benson

On average, what do you think is the salary of a mechanic/tech working full-time at a locally owned tuner shop?

posted by  Spade

...Specializing in what? You realize that most mechanics/techs don't specialize in every aspect of automotive repair right?

posted by  Newspeak

If you've taken any of life's communication classes, you wouldn't be responding with these questions.

But you're joking. Ha ha.

The same goes for you.

How about you average out the salary of all of the motherf*ckers working at the tuner shop minus the owner and give that answer....

That's only if you know.

posted by  What

I guess im less educated on the subject than i thought.

I dont really know much about auto-repair shops. I just thought you brought your car in, and a guy fixed it. :doh:

posted by  Spade

Heres one.

What would be the average wage if I work a standard 8 hour shift from Monday to Saterday at a speed shop in Detroit? The speed shop builds big-block engines ranging from 396s, to 440s, to 455s. These are high compression engines specifically used for drag racing. They are pricey engines and can't be screwed up and attention to detail is key.

posted by  Benson

Now you're starting to sound like a bitch. Minus 1 are 2 people, these f*cks are as clueless as you are. You can find this information on the web or call a local tuner/repair shop and ask them. Some may not tell you but some will. If you sound interested in what they do, most will be happy to share info.

posted by  What

this is going to far

posted by  Spade

Thats what i was looking for in the beginning. *shrug*

posted by  Spade

NO IT'S NOT. If this is all you wanted AND you had half a brain, you would have simply picked up the phone and called the local speed shop. This is also not one of the questions you asked previously. MOST mechanics don't work in speed shops so they would not be the average mechanic. Don't let Twhat come and confuse you with his bullsh*t. What is the question you want an answer to?

posted by  vwhobo

Alright, i'll give it another shot.

What is the average hourly salary, of an average auto-repair mechanic (Doesn't matter what specification [transmission, engines, anything]-take the average of that) at any TYPICAL (exclude outliers) speed shop in the New England area.

I hope that was detailed enough.

posted by  Spade

That still doesn't really explain what kind of work they do. Probably somewhere in the area of $20 to $30 an hour. It still depends greatly upon their specialty, training, experience, reputation (very important in a speed shop), etc.

posted by  vwhobo

I've always found this one curious. Why should I respect my elders simply for being older than me? I'll respect them for having more knowledge than me, for being more intelligent than me, for being more skilled than me, or even even being more accomplished than me, but I won't respect elders for simply being old.

Is that the point that you're getting at? That generally speaking, elders have what we don't, so we should respect them for it? Or is there something that I missed?

posted by  Godlaus

Apparently you did miss something, but then that's nothing new. You should respect your elders because if for no other reason they have a lifetime full of experince to draw on... Experience that you won't have until you too are an elder. I know at the ripe old age of 18 you THINK you know everything but when you get to be my age you'll realize just how clueless you really are. It's a shame that it takes us (humans) another 20 or so years to figure it out.

posted by  vwhobo

Unnecessary and untrue statement. Please refrain from posting such statements in the future.

Okay, so what I said is what you were getting at. However, I'm not going to respect people for merely having years under their belts. If a man's 68, and happens to be a neo-nazi with not a rational thought in his mind, I'm not going to respect him.

I think that respecting someone simply because of their age is an almost prejudice thought.

I don't recall saying anywhere that I thought I knew everything. I'm willing to admit that I know things, but there's still a lot to be learned. Please don't classify me due to my age and other's actions.

posted by  Godlaus

and alls i wanted to know was how much a mechanic makes...rofl

posted by  Spade

That's like someone asking:

"And alls i wanted to know was how much a driver makes...rofl"

posted by  Godlaus

Your Message