The Stig

Home  \  Off Topic  \  The Stig

Anyone know who he actually is? Incase anybody was wondering (people who dont watch Top Gear maybe?), the Stig is the annonymous racing driver on the show. I have/had my suspisions about who he is, but now I'm not so sure, I initially thought it was ex-touring car driver/TV host Tiff Needell, he has a history with Top Gear and his racing background fits, too. I dunno though, lol. He's obviously someone who can be trusted to drive an F1 car.....in doors (as on the last show). I did think that maybe they varied him, depending on what he'd be driving, like for example, stick the F1 driver who actually drives said car, in the white suit etc.....Any ideas? A good freind of mine said that certain people have seen Tiff leaving the Aerodrome on a number of occassions, but I took it as a pinch of salt.....?

posted by  Cliffy

I think you'll fing the Stig is whowever they can get to drive the car on any given day, no doubt a professional that they couldn't afford to keep on retainer all the time. Why else would they make him a mystery man? If they could attach a real name to him, think of the credibility it would add to the show and their performance testing.

posted by  vwhobo

The first Stig (in black) was Perry McCarthy (which is why there was the change from the black Stig to the White Stig). The White Stig was apparently originally Damon Hill, but everyone's pretty tight lipped about it. Most likely it's simply a collection of drivers, depending on availability.

posted by  ChrisV

I know what you mean about Stig being more than one driver, but I'm not sure about the reasoning, I mean, I think the fact that he's annonymous would do the show more good, in my opinion it just adds to the good humour of the show!

I just done a quick search about Perry McCarthy, I didn't realise that was common knowledge, lol. The way I see it, the reason they changed his colour was because he drove off that Aircraft Carrier and 'died' lol (obviously not really, lol)...hence the white clothing of the current Stig. I see where you're coming from about changing the Stig and his costume though, due to being a new driver 'n all that.

posted by  Cliffy

It may sound like im lying but my dad met the current Stig in Falmouth ( Cornwall) hes a Rally Driver! Hes sort of polish/swedish/norweigian, he met him in a surf shop where the owner is a family friend apparently and had a little natter with him, but my dad has a memory like a drain and doesnt remember the name

posted by  True_Brit

I believe ya....thounsands wouldn't, lol.....just kiddin' :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

some good stuff there. not much is definite though:ohcrap:
I think its more entertaining if you dont know anyways:2cents:

posted by  nighthawk

Anyone got the vid of him driving off?

posted by  99integra

I thought he really died in Season 3 or whatever lol...I can't find the video, but it was in a V12 Jaguar where he tried to get it up to 100mph on an aircraft carrier...but ran out of space and flew off lol...But if he wasn't dead, who's glove was floating on the surface? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

welcome to CF:thumbs:

i mean hey your back:laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

I'll assume you're joking....lol. Welcome back by the way! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

http://www.techsposed.com/files/images/stig.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

You were all wrong. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifrtlC4NTys) a clip form tonight's show.

It's pretty obvious when they show him but totally unexpected...

posted by  chris_knows

You saw it on tv? What channel? I record it on BBC America but they're all re-runs.

posted by  Satty101

Not on TV, I have to download it

posted by  chris_knows

I saw it last night on BBC 2 but I was like no way Schumacher could be the Stig, he was still racing in Formula 1 when they got rid of the black helmet Stig. TBH I didn't think it was a good idea to reveal the Stig.

posted by  fudge

Unless they kill him off in the next episode and there's a new stig...Fuschia? lol

posted by  chris_knows

Or maybe every episode this season they'll just have their guest "be" the Stig?

posted by  dodgerforlife

I don't think he is the Stig....I think it's a wind up. Still, we'll see.

posted by  Cliffy

So, turns out the Stig was fired from Top Gear, after a scandal about his autobiography, and it turns out it's...

...Ben Collins

But they're saying he could be one of several Stigs.

posted by  chris_knows

I really don't see what the fuss is all about, Perry Mccarthy revealed himself to be the first stig (with black helmet) but that didn't really affect the mystery of who the stig is. I just think most people now realise what a joke Top Gear has become that people stop watching it and that the BBC are desperately trying to get some publicity out of this so called news.

posted by  fudge

I'm not sure how the ratings have been lately, but I for one still find it unique and original...It always makes me laugh

posted by  Cliffy

If it's a joke, I want in on that joke! It's a fun show with some good info mixed in with some laughs. One of the better shows coming out of the U.K. IMHO.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Hmmm... I don't think there's much shows from the UK that make it to the US. Its either not "glamarous" enough or they make their own version of it. I think most lads here have watched Top Gear to death thanks to Dave showing it all day long. I just noticed they've stopped showing it so often these days. I just hate the fact that every episode tries to be epic with all these little challenges they have to do - the reason what makes UK tv watchable is that it isn't over glamorised like the US shows and thus makes it more real to watch. But with only 4 episodes this season I think the end is near for Top Gear.

posted by  fudge

I agree that the fact that the series' seem to be getting ever shorter is a bad sign...Maybe the BBC's budget doesn't cater for such shows now and they'd rather put their money in to one-off dramas and tripe such as Match of the Day!

Although clearly staged, I think the boys do a fine job of making the challenges humorous and exciting to watch...They also make them believable, too!

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message